More Swashbuckler Hats

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by FalconClash, Aug 29, 2022.

1. FalconClash Well-Known Member

No such thing as too many. They have been dripping out slowly, but too slow for me, and most colors don't match the clothes I'd like to pair them with.

*I like this vest style for my swashy*
    [IMG]

Same problem with the Green hat from Brew Days, the green is too light, or the vest too dark. Either way it would be nice to have hats that match existing clothes, or clothes that match existing Hats. Craft recipes for Swashy Hats would be nice.
    Cyliena, Breanna and Jesaine like this.
  2. Jesaine Well-Known Member

I called for something similar in the marketplace suggestions thread a while back.

Personally I'd like to see something more than the same old hat and bandana recolored over and over again. Do away with the blasted bandanas and let us have hair with the hat for starters. I'm sure I'll get the same old "too hard" always with you it cannot be done excuse by some there. :rolleyes: Recolors should just be handled by finally implementing a dye system for players.

I'd like to see more styles of "swashbuckling" hats myself. Stuff like this:

[IMG]

As I said in the marketplace thread, less foppish than the Ratonga armor hat and more gallant looking
    Cyliena, Breanna and FalconClash like this.
  3. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Neither are possible. Devs have stated in the past that your character's hair is-- for all purposes-- a hat appearance in itself. Everytime you put on a new hat appearance, you are taking off your hair hat appearance. The only real exceptions are for wreath-type items like the druid hats. The illusion of tucking your hair unto the bandana was the best work-around they could give. Even my monk shows up bald when I put a monk hat on her.

There's a helmet from Drusella Sathir called Fuchsia Finery-- it's translucent and shows your bald head through the texture.

As for armor dyes, this was quickly shot down all the way back when the game first launched, because all of the game's armor are too detailed to dye. You wouldn't just be changing one color-- you'd have to change possibly dozens all at once. You could change one RGB value for red, but then you notice that the slightly different shades of red that give the armor a more realistic appearance would still be what they were.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. FalconClash Well-Known Member

*Love that movie!*

And yes the more rounded Musketeer style of hat (pictured above) would be preferred over the old "Robinhood" style. But not in Marketplace, please. As an event buyable instead.
    Breanna and Jesaine like this.
  5. Jesaine Well-Known Member

Yoda and I were right yet again, LOL

First, all you have to do to get around the hat hair issue is make hats that include hair sticking out from underneath them as part of the hat assembly. Maybe it's only one basic short style for men that shows through a little (how much obviously depending upon the style of the hat), and a similarly basic but longer hair style for women. Problem solved.

The bandana wasn't the "best" work around, it was simply the least amount of work. Same way they've reskinned the exact same robe meshes (with a few exceptions) for 16 years. The newer skins are fabulously detailed, but they're still on the same tired shape faux robes (pants with extra layer) for the vast majority of outfits.

Armor dyes: An easy option is to make more use of shaders and less use of so many different colors. A second relatively quick fix is a calculation to determine what secondary colors are close to the same variance with a new color.

While I *DO* sympathize with the devs having a small team, etc... "Too difficult" and "Can't be done" are often excuses and really translate into "I don't want to put in the work". SWTOR is years newer than EQ2, and the devs there say that free placement of furniture is impossible. Really? EQ2 did it over half a decade before you launched. Hooks are just simpler and don't lead to the players upstaging the devs on design.

Almost EVERY time Bethesda has said something can't be done with Skyrim or Fallout, the players prove them wrong also, all the way down to creating a multiplayer version of Skyrim. Better player models that "can't" be done here? There's more than a dozen in Skyrim.

Limited time and resources are a legitimate issue, BUT (as I said in another post) maybe somebody in the dev team needs to talk to corporate and explain to them that games that don't innovate die. "The current player base doesn't justify the expense" isn't necessarily a valid excuse either. Pushing the envelope a bit brings in new and returning players. Look at what the 64 bit engine did in that regard even with no other changes.
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

None of those games were made with the same game engine as EQ2. They have those features because the game engines they use and the core coding mechanics allows them to be done easier.

If Skyrim and SWTOR were built using the Sony internal game engine, I can bet that they would have similar issues to EQ2.
    Breanna likes this.