more patching issues

Discussion in 'Connection Support' started by ARCHIVED-reesracer, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-reesracer Guest

having bought RoK and installed it, i am also having difficulty with the lengthy and troublesome patching process. i am no newcomer to pc games, or mmo's either, and this issue has left me stumped. i have read as many previous posts as i have the patience for at this point, so i thought i would just create my own post. after successfully (so i thought) patching the game in its entirety last night (4+ hours with a good and fast connection and no firewall), the game booted up and i was sent to the character creation screen. as it was quite late, i decided to exit and try again this morning to begin my adventures, but alas, the patching has begun all over with an indication that it will take many more hours to repeat the process. i saw a post where someone was having to patch every day he played, but that does not seem to be a suitable solution. i am currently trying again while running the game as an administrator, but my hopes are dwindling that this will not solve the problem. any suggestions will be appreciated. by the way, i have been and am enjoying PotBS, (and have played SWG in the past), so i doubt its a SOE launcher issue. many thanks in advance for chance to play what i understand is a fabulous game.
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanT Guest

Make sure you are not running any programs on your windows taskbar. If the problem persists, you should try running your system under a clean boot as this will prevent any hidden programs from loading.

To disable background programs:

1. Select the START button.
    2. Select RUN, then type in "msconfig" (for Vista, type msconfig in the search bar at the bottom of the Start Menu)
    3. Press OK
    4. Select the STARTUP tab.
    5. In the list, uncheck all boxes EXCEPT for SCANREGISTRY and SYSTEM TRAY. If you use Windows XP, please note that SCANREGISTRY and SYSTEM TRAY will not be listed - just uncheck the entire list.
    6. Hit apply and then OK. Restart the computer and try the game again.

If you are still experiencing the same issue, please reply back.