More Communication on these Forums Lately

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Dude, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Dude Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I'm not sure what happened at DBG HQs, but I've noticed a pretty solid uptick in developer communication on these forums. Hand in hand with that is that much of the developer/player interaction appears to be actually resulting in requested changes (e.g. the timer on the tradeskill quest). Everything isn't unicorns and rainbows, but it's positive enough that I thought it was worth recognizing the effort.

Dude
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

They may be afraid that someone will show this video...

:)
  3. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I agree, we're seeing more interaction and comments and that's a positive thing and should be recognized.
    Dude, Gillymann, Cyrrena and 3 others like this.
  4. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

Kudos Devs! The changes in today's patch notes show that crafting community and many others have been heard. Thank you!
    Dude, Cyrrena, Mizgamer62 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I am also glad to see them interacting with their paying customers and recognizing and responding to concerns via the official forums. I think it is important to realize that all feed back is important and not just bug reports. Whether or not the content is fun/rewarding for players is just as important.
    Kheldar, Dude, Rosyposy and 5 others like this.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Thank you Devs and DB for communicating with us and for hearing us. *pats all at DB on the back, even Ttobey (but he is still mean)*
    Zorash, Dude, Rosyposy and 2 others like this.
  7. Gninja Developer

I refuse to reply to this thread!
  8. Meneltel Well-Known Member

I refuse to comment on your refusal to reply to this thread!
    Cyrrena, Rosyposy, Cheallaigh and 2 others like this.
  9. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Indeed. Very good to see :)
  10. Argosunited Well-Known Member

I guess they've realised you can catch more flies with honey, than vinegar.
    Mizgamer62, Rosyposy and Dude like this.
  11. Fyreflyte Well-Known Member

Actually, this is incorrect, despite popular usage of the phrase. Flies are far easier to attract with vinegar than honey, both because of their interest in decaying material and because alcohol is far more aromatic than honey (thus flies will sense it from further away). Probably other reasons as well, but I don't remember them offhand. I performed this experiment when I was much younger, and the results are pretty staggering - flies love themselves some vinegar.

To address any other speculation in this thread, there isn't any one factor responsible for our increased presence here. For my part, I've been trying to keep any information I post on Discord represented equally here, since it's easier to find/link to this way, and I'd like everyone to have the chance to see it, not just those lucky enough to be in a chat channel with me at the right time. It helps greatly that a number of community members have been providing polite feedback, be it praise or criticism. You'll find most of my stuff in the TLE forum, but I read everything in general chat also, and occasionally post here.

This thread started out as praise, but quickly gained several responses that were passive/aggressive or insulting. There's a fair amount of irony in that, because those types of responses are what drive developers away from the forums to begin with. As a general rule, we don't shy away from criticism; but it needs to be provided in a constructive format. If you have issues with things, we're more than happy to hear you out - just remember to address the issue itself, and how you'd like to see it resolved. Resorting to personal attacks, however subtle, usually guarantees we're going to bow out of the thread and feel less inclined to respond to that particular poster in the future.

All that said, I am going to continue to attempt to keep up to date with these forums, and will answer threads I'm able to provide feedback on (typically itemization and TLE-related issues). I'd love to see the forums become even more active than they are now, so please try to keep the posts constructive, and be polite to your fellow gamers! And thank you again for the praise in this thread - we all appreciate it.

Edit: missed a single 'it' that broke my grammar ;P
  12. Merriel Well-Known Member

I noticed tonight the change in the tradeskill quests, and I must say I truly appreciate it as well. I now feel the missions are well worth doing, even if at some point they do become tedious and repetitive. No more hideous infusers. :D

Thank you for this change and for letting us know that the PQ's will be back on some kind of rotation so those of us with limited schedules can enjoy all of them rather than the same one repeated over and over again. I don't know if that was affected with todays update or if it will be next update, but just knowing it's been looked at and there is a fix for it is very much appreciated. :)

I am a bit confused, however, as to why recipes are now being made for artisan skills as opposed to specific tradeskill classes. Alchemy recipes that should have been for alchemists, sage recipes that should have been for sages, etc, and all No Trade, so I can't give the recipes to my alchemist or my sage, etc, to try and keep them at least consistently producing what they originally trained up to do.

Is there any way these could be made heirloom instead? I really don't want my carpenter to suddenly become an alchemist and a sage and an armorer and a weaponsmith and so on and so forth, lol. She already has way too many recipes in her book. I tried hiding all the recipes that are not carpentry or tinkering or adorning related, but even that got tedious as it took forever to hide so many of them. To have to do that on all my other tradeskillers just seems so daunting. Even if the recipes are artisan instead of specific to their profession, at least making them heirloom will let us keep our characters consistent, if we so choose.
    GrunEQ, Tkia, Dude and 2 others like this.
  13. Finora Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with anything really but...
    This might be an East Coast vs West Coast or North vs South thing, but I always heard catch more bees with honey than vinegar. =)
  14. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

Hope to see more Daybreak online.

I'm curious. Were those "passive/aggressive or insulting" responses deleted? Because the posts that remain, range from humor to 'the usual comments.' Gninja's post, In Context, was amusing.

Gninja, good to see you relax.

Perhaps something that Developers and Game Customers should read.

Game Designer Says Developers Would Be More Candid If Gamer Culture Wasn't So Toxic
    https://kotaku.com/game-designer-says-developers-would-be-more-candid-if-g-1818729507
    "But here’s the rub: all the stuff you ever wanted to know about game development would be out there if not for the toxic gaming community. We *love* to talk about development, the challenges we face, the problems we solve, the shortcuts we take. But it’s almost never worth it."
    "I’ve long believed that the solution to this problem is to try to inform and educate more people about how games are made, whether it’s breaking down budgets or trying to explain why games are delayed so often."

Moral? Keep customers informed, and they'll respect you for it.

Daybreak, keep us informed, and we'll keep coming back.

Oh, and since you brought up the flies bit. Not necessarily. For one specific fly, Drosophila melanogaster, you need to get it just right.

Catching more flies with vinegar
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562214/
    "flies tend to ignore or even avoid both low levels of vinegar (which suggest that the fruit is not ripe enough) and high levels of vinegar (which suggest that the fruit might be rotten)."
    "Together, these systems allow flies to pursue less-than-optimal food sources in times of shortage"

Flies in general.

Case Study: How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies - Which Trap Works Best
    https://insightpest.com/case-study-how-to-get-rid-of-fruit-flies-which-trap-works-best/

In order of success, here are the full results.
    "The Time Tested Solution: 24 fruit flies (all dead)
    The Sweet and Sour: 12 fruit flies (all dead)
    The Fruity Fix: 8 fruit flies (2 dead, 6 trapped)
    The Double Hitter: 5 (4 dead, 1 trapped)
    The Wine and Dine: 3 fruit flies (all dead)
    The Triple Hitter: 2 fruit flies (all dead)"
    • The Time-Tested Solution - "Pour milk into a bowl, stir in raw sugar and ground pepper and simmer over the stove or pop the mixture in the microwave for a minute."
    • The Sweet and Sour - "Fill a glass with apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap to break the surface tension of the liquid."
    • The Fruity Fix - "Fill a jar or bowl with pieces of rotting fruit and then cover with cellophane, using a rubber band to keep it stretched over the top of the container. Poke holes in the cellophane with a toothpick."
    • The Double Hitter - "Fill a jar with pieces of rotting fruit, apple cider vinegar, and a few drops of dish soap. Cover with cellophane. Wrap the cellophane in a rubber band, and poke holes in the cellophane with a toothpick."
    • The Wine and Dine - "A great use for leftover wine, this trap is simple. Leave out a bottle, glass or jar of wine and cover with cellophane. Wrap the cellophane in a rubber band, and poke holes in the cellophane with a toothpick."
    • The Triple Hitter - "This trap combines the allure of rotting fruit and apple cider vinegar with sugar and honey. Combine sugar and honey and warm up the mixture. Add more honey and sugar and then top it off with some apple cider vinegar.Cover with cellophane. Wrap the cellophane in a rubber band, and poke holes in the cellophane with a toothpick."
    Winner, 'honey.'
    errrrr 'sugar.'

Dude, Castegyre, Tekka and 3 others like this.
  15. Castegyre Well-Known Member

More communication at the moment is fine.

Consistent, responsible, sincere communication for the duration would likely do a lot more good.
  16. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

As to the flies, the love malt vinegar. Just saying...
  17. Kawoosh Well-Known Member

P.S. [Suggestion]

Daybreak EverQuest II comments are spread all over the forum. Due in part to players (the customer) not having one location to ask questions to the company. How about creating one forum category for company and customer interaction? With sub-categories.

Slightly tongue-in-check titles, but you'll get the idea.

. Fish and Chips with Daybreak
    . . Gameplay - Got a problem? Odds against you?
    . . Tradeskill - Craft Much?
    . . Itemization - More Power
    . . Zones and Populations - Boeing-Boeing

Of course
    • Daybreak interaction is not guaranteed. But players (customers) would have a better chance of getting feedback.
    • Threads may be moved, if an existing regular category would better serve the poster.
    • Posters should expect extra scrutiny. (On the other hand, learn to use Internet archiving utilities.)
    But why bother? Other than Daybreak getting a good collected sampling of it's customer base.

A game company can go the way of EA, and be the 'Worst Company in America' two years running. Today, the fifth most hated company. And having the "Most Downvoted Reddit Comment Ever"; -683000.

Or go the route of CD Projekt Red; "We leave greed to others."

Both make money, but one is bleeding customers. And about to get the Disney boot. While the other is gaining customers and brand loyalty.

The choice is yours.
    Cyrrena, Rhodris, Tekka and 2 others like this.