Monk question/issue?

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by fiyy, Nov 28, 2013.

1. fiyy Member

I brought my monk out of retirement for this expansion cause my guild needed another tank.

Now I understand that we take spike damage more than other tanks and etc, but in raids I've been hit for 1.5 million.

To me 1.5 million looks like a completely unmitigated hit, did they put something in while i was gone for a year or more where brawlers, or just monks, have a chance to get hit without the consideration of mitigation at all? I double and triple checked every time I got blasted and 1 shotted like that I didn't have any mit debuff on me at all so it has me confused, and considering dropping my monk all together as a viable tank.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Silzin Active Member

i would not say to give up... this is tho the main point i was going to talk about for a new thread (i may still make it) Monks biggest problem in today's raiding is that we have very bad passive surviveability. so in-order to take a lot of the hits that are not designed to be killing blows to a Plate Tank, we have to Chain Temps. We ether have to have a Death Save up, or an Involn or and Stoneskine. we are fare to reliant on these temps and it makes up non-sustainable for a "Game Design" standpoint. making it "By Design" having to be Immune to all attacks or Die is not a good way to have ANY tank.

the other option is you need to get more Gear and More Mit. getting more Mit would help bring down that hit. Debuffing the named right would also help bring down that hit, and getting your HP up over 1 Million would also help you survive that hit.

I may be wrong or one or both of these points but i am see all of these point as i work through things in the game. But in the end the Monk Class is a fun class that takes a lot of time and effort to master, but can be very worth the investment.
  3. fiyy Member

Problem is I had 1.2 million HP and 15k mit at the time when I took a 1.5 million hit. ALL the other hits in that fight were for around 400k ... this one just stuck out like a sore thumb of bug
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Or just bad planning for any or all the classes to be able to handle the place(s); it was pretty obvious they didn't think about Coercers, for example, when they designed the Hedge Hollow Maze (unless, as I hear, you're 65+ level...my gal wasn't). It's impossible for a low-level (i.e., 1-64) Coercer to do that last, center fight; no pets will accompany within, and no amount of buffs will help a weak/squishy cloth-wearer go toe to toe with an Epic x2 werewolf...so I had to Betray her to Illusionist for this year (and probably stay there until level 65, lol). :-/

It may just be a matter of lack of planning for Monks/Bruisers on the devs' part nowadays. :(

If it is a bug, do screenshots and log records, if you can, so they can compare/contrast and figure out what's going wrong. Good luck! :)

Uwk
  5. fiyy Member

That's what i'm wondering, it just seems like I was getting unmitigated hits completely, I had stoneskins going off for 1.5 milllion etc, then I get hit for that much. That's what I was wondering =/
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Yeah, definitely get documentation, or at least bring it to their attention. That's a serious breach of thinking on their part, I think. Or it could just be they don't like Brawlers... :(

Uwk
    who has Monks and Bruisers, so is now curious (and worried about the high levels)... :-/
  7. Clevemo Active Member

If the mob melees for 1.5 million per auto attack and you die from 1.5 million damage then you had 0 mitigation and zero wards at the time of killing.
  8. fiyy Member

I did have Mitigation at the time though, which is why I figure this is a bug. It displays right on my screen. And it was after about 150k of wards, still not enough when i only had 1.2mil hp at the time
  9. Clevemo Active Member

At the moment I see the brawlers as OTs only. I swapped to Guardian and play monk in heroics. Monks are fun when they don't have to spec left-side prestige.
  10. fiyy Member

I don't even want to OT on my brawler if I'm going to get randomly wasted though. I have a guard as well, not raid geared or played since KoS heh... but might dust him off, kept up on AA's at least
  11. Clevemo Active Member

This isn't a troll but someone dropped the ball during the encounter. We really have no background details in order to build a case that it was legitimately the brawler class at fault here and not raiding error.
  12. fiyy Member

It was the first encounter in the new raid, there isn't a mit debuff and I wasn't fighting naked lol. I understand I don't have much information posted, I'll have to go through the logs.

But to me, 1.5 million on the first encounter of a new raid zone, in mostly potent / arcane armor (my monk, now bruiser for the hell of it to try, is Ickii) gets blasted with no dets on. and yes minimal wards but still doesn't explain the spike higher than the rest of the hits which averaged around 450k, where as the SK averaged aroudn 380k (which seems normal to me), with no spikes like this. I was swapped into the MT group to give it a try, cause we were messing around with positioning etc. So, same healers, same everything that the SK had, yet I get spikes, he didn't. And it was registered as "crush" damage, not a skill or anything unique.

I'll hunt down the logs here when I have some time and try to post the act parse.
  13. fiyy Member

I'm on Guk btw, if you were planning on looking up Ickii
  14. Skydan New Member

What temp(s) was up at the time of your death? Were you rotating your temps and working with your healers?

Haven't played one in a while but changing to bruiser has probably hurt your survivability even more. Also if the spec on your profile is your tank spec, you can get a lot more defensive tools to help you out greatly.

I have found if you choose your gear and adorns right, spec right and use your temps well then there's nothing in this xpac (so far at least) that we can't tank.
  15. fiyy Member

I hope this works / people can see it or w/e. Top right my tenacity went off and we still fell apart etc. I'm not making any claims that we are some super amazing guild, we just get by. It's just frustrating to get hit for astronomical damage when the plate tank (there is only 2 tanks in our raids atm) doesn't get hit with damage even close to that.

[IMG]
  16. fiyy Member

Yea, I get the feeling that with bruiser it's going to hurt more, but I figure I should try more. On one of those death report windows my tenacity was up, saved me eventually still went splat so /shrug. The amount of damage just seems really really high when they claim that they wanted to remove 1shot mechanics from the game.

Likely had provoking stance and mountain stance up at the time of death, cause if tsunami and bob n weave aren't up, those typically are, or tenacity ~

What spec did you see? I went with the most defensive I could on my monk, and now on my bruiser but idk what else to take, haven't had a chance to tank with it yet to even see what's what aside from reading the tool tips on each skill.

I had no issues tanking anything heroic, just became issue with epics
  17. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

There is no way that this could be an issue of leather vs plate mitigation. The mitigation difference between brawlers and plate tanks is not more than 5-10%. When you take a single hit for over triple the normal amount of damage, that isn't merely a damage spike, that is some sort of special circumstance. I doubt this is a class issue so much as a special mechanic or simple bug.
  18. Clevemo Active Member

The nameds in A.S. will destroy any tank if not debuffed. Your block chance seems too low. That first encounter is the rift + adds. Does your raid have difficulty with that script and/or handling the adds? When you move make sure you don't expose your back to the mob, always move while facing the mob.
  19. Typos Member

I feel for ya bro. Roll a diff tank man. trust me you will be happier.
  20. Stike Member

Agree with Clevmo, the debuffs are huge! Also, looked at your AA and would redo some of that for more surviabilty. Tag team gives you another 8 sec. blocker, stone cold 15% group damage reduction (Depending on the encounter I either spec StoneCold/Tag Team or Tag Team/Combat Mastery), Ancient Focus maxed out will give you another 2 seconds on tsnami, 1.3 on Bob and Weave. And would work on getting your block chance above 100. All those things will help a ton! I tanked all the named in AS and was able to make it through without issue. Hopefully some of these things work for you too! Good luck!