Monk or Zerk question

Discussion in 'Fighters' started by select20, Aug 5, 2014.

1. select20 Member

Hey guys, new player, old account. Playing on a relative's account when I told her I wanted to try this game out, She said I mine as well use hers since it would have a lot of vet awards.

Anyways, After reading through some of the classes and a little about the game, I'm thinking I want to play a monk or Zerk. I'll be mostly soloing since school starts here soon and I can't really have set play times. I would like to use a merc to solo run some dungeons if that's possible.

My question is for someone wanting to clear through dungeons as I level, which of these two classes would work best? Also, which Merc type should I get, healer, bard, caster or tank?

Thanks for the info. Downloading the game now.
  2. Regolas Well-Known Member

Either are very good tanks. I would say a zerker is currently slightly better at max level due to leather tanks getting a bit of a short stick this expansion, but up to then, both are fine, and possibly monk is more overpowered.

Always go for a healer with a tank as your merc. It means cures even if the heals aren't needed much, but it allows you to do a lot more things, although slower than using a dps/bard merc.

Having said that, up to around L80, a tank merc would just tank for you no problem and almost powerlevel you, but there will be downtime that you won't have with a healer.
  3. select20 Member

Cool thanks for the info Regolas. I dont' think I'll be doing much end game stuff past grouping to be honest. Hard to invest time into anything past playing casually atm, or in the months to come. Just want to adventure if you know what I mean.
  4. Ebofu Active Member

Berserker hands down for what you want to achieve in game. Monk is comical in some casual aspects but is predominantly high level high returns area, berserker you can faceroll through everything else.
  5. Regolas Well-Known Member

I dunno about that. I found the brawlers very easy to do anything with pre-95. Zerk felt a bit flat until he had mythical buff, and only really started shining as an amazing tank with the big HP rises that recently happened.
  6. petier Active Member

I have a zerker and a monk and love each of them, but if you are wanting to sol/duo I would take the monk, having fd is really nice and unless you are goanna go to the end game I honestly think monk is the way I would go.
  7. Ebofu Active Member

You took that too literally, monk has a higher skill ceiling but requires a higher level of play to maintain, not referring to levels themselves. No class matters pre 95 because of mercenaries.
  8. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

Any class can molo anything pre 90 so just play wichever class u prefer, If u want to run around and pull loads of mobs at the same time and spam AEs then Zerker is the guy for you. Monk is more single target focused and will give u the better dps of the two against singletarget mobs.

However if ur just looking for an effective Molo (player n merc) Fighter i would recomend any of the crusaders really becuz u would'nt need to bother with a heal merc and could bring a DPS one instead wich makes lvling a lot more fun IMO. I played a pally who used the Wizzie merc all the way to lvl 80 and then switched to the brig goblin from FP and that worked very well!

I know im about to go a lill out of topic now but im just gonna mention that Warlock and wizzie is also very powerful pre90 soloers if u get their AA pretty high early on, u can get ur mit about as high as a decent geared plate fighter thru AA and two self regenerating Wards! I would recommend Warlock becuz u can get their highest nuke thru AA wich is called plaguebringer and it overkills anything early on. So with a healer merc+battlemage sorcerer u wont find much u cant handle =)
  9. Buffrat Well-Known Member

To expand on this a tiny bit:

Berserkers you can hit cap and literally faceroll the entirety of heroic content. Good Berserkers don't even need a healer on Ahrmatal, a mob a lot of tanks have issues living on.

Monks are better raid tanks and require a little more mechanics knowledge to pull off. They're better at soaking larger, slower hits where Berserkers are better at smaller, faster hits.

As far as merc choice goes I am pretty sure the shadowknight merc is just best all around. Best survivability, best dps, best self healing. Maybe I'm just a little biased since the only toon I leveled with a merc was a defiler.
  10. Azian Well-Known Member

I was going to mention this too. The OP mentions that it is an old account. Check to see if it has the 10 year veteran merc reward. If so, either the Paladin or SK that you can have from that reward would be your best overall option in my opinion. I'd also say that the ToV merc, Daeron, is also very good. He is a monk. Any of those 3 are much stronger than a normal mercenary and you will clear content considerably faster. That said, it's nice to have a healer merc unlocked just in case you need to bring it out now and again for specific fights.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  11. select20 Member

Thanks for all the suggestions and info. Really shed some light. I actually started both in trying to see which I want to play. This account does have the 10 year vet award. I check that after Azian mentioned it. Either way, I'm having fun, world seems huge. Lots to explore.
    Avahlynn likes this.
  12. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

I am a zerker and can run most of the world sans healer. We as a group have a handy bag of tricks to maintain our health all while smashing away at enemies. I've not played a monk so I claim ignorance there, but I have really loved my berserker. They are not the fastest killers out there but they make up for it with their heartiness and tenacity. I often use a dps style merc, and do just fine.