Mitigation -vs- stats

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-4evrnyt, Jun 4, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-4evrnyt Guest

OK old question here but as I've searched I notice that there isn't much of a clear answer here.
    Question is what is more important, stats or higher mitigation. I understand that class makes a big difference, I'm not going to worry tremendously about mitigation on a finger waggler but when it gets down to hybrids, healers or even tanks then I really get stumped as to wether I should be sacrficing good stats for large increases in mitigation or not.
    Mitigation is obviously important to a Guardian but is an increase of say 60mitigation worth the loss of 4-6 str? If it is, is it still true for a SK? Is 80 mitigation worth giving up 5 WIS on a Cleric?
    I know its messy so I'm curious if there is a prevelant answer. Ex: Guardians,SK etc.. should focus only on mitigation where mages only worry about stats and healers have to strike a finer balance... something like that.
  2. ARCHIVED-therodge Guest

really depends how your specing, cleric i would say its a toss up but for an sk a 60 mit diffrence is pretty big, now if you were talking 10 mit 5 str eh maybe keep the str but 60 mit will add up, but id trade 60 mit for +10 parry, +defence + parry +double attack are all worth trading mit for
  3. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Even within a class, it totally depends on the context. Are you a Brigand acting as a tank? Yea, mitigation is important to you. Are you solo'ing? Probably important. DPS'ing in a group? Probably meaningless.

Context is too important to even begin to answer your question accurately.
  4. ARCHIVED-Ogron Guest

some will disagree but i would say for tanks, get mitigation up to around 55%, after that you start seeing very small gains in mitigation so you will get a bigger return on avoidance. selecting gear is always going to be a give and take situation, unless you find a very nice piece to replace a very bad one.
    here is a mitigation returns chart i made for myself (lvl 80 paladin, self buffed) to see exactly what the returns curve was doing.
    [IMG]
    for non-tank classes, i worry about stats much more than mitigation, unless i am soloing alot and expect to get hit.
    if you are not holding aggro as a tank, then mitigation isnt doing you any good, so get your str and in the case of crusaders, int up some for more damage output.
    i've seen both a berserker who did damage like a scout, but coulld not take a hit, and a gaurd who was a brick wall, but couldnt keep aggro off of anyone. so again, balancing is the key.
  5. ARCHIVED-evilgamer Guest

Its all a balancing act obviously + 20 to a key stat is better then +5 extra mit.
    However when I am evalutating gear I tend to think armor is about mitigation and effects / jewelry is for stats/ resist/ effects.
    Granted I dont have any mage over level 20, all my toons are fighter, priest, scouts.
    But even on my non tank priest and scout toons I will still take extra mit over extra stats on my armor slots, the extra mit is usefull when soloing.
    In short your amor slot are primairily about increasing your mitigation as they are the only slots I am aware of that can. Your other slots should be used to up your stats/resist/affects imo.
  6. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

It's hard to say. While the extra mit might help against one mob, it might be over kill for another. I find that most good tanks will swap gear and stances depending on zone, group and DPS. I myself run around with nearly 4 different items for easy slot. I have 5 different chest pieces, 4 pants etc etc. I had to make a macro to put on my DPS gear because I never knew what items I swapped out while tanking.
  7. ARCHIVED-azekah Guest

Junaru wrote:
    4 items for each slot?

How do you have any room in your bags?
  8. ARCHIVED-Ohiv Guest

azekah wrote:
    He carrys the 36 slot boxes, being a fighter type class str isn't a problem so lugging 7 of them around isn't an issue. On my fury I have 2 sets of gear, my normal gear and then my healing set when i really need the extra boost for healing. Surprizingly I do just fine in my normal set for most situations but still I like the extra buffer. My monk I'm working on now is watching this and other threads to learn from those that have done this sort of stuff before. Multiple gear sets isn't an issue for me, i understand the concept. Knowing exactly what each set should have getting a better clue as the days go forward.
  9. ARCHIVED-Mentin Guest

* If you don't do any tanking work, you don't really need mit
    * The usefulness of stats vs. mit depends on where on the diminishing returns curve you are
    * For tanking at level 80 avoidance is maybe more important than mit, at least for the raid game. Mobs are double attacking and you want to avoid being hit by both attacks in a double attack. Gotta give the healers time to get off those heals.
    If you look at eq2players, most big tanks are around 50-52% mit, not much variation there.