Make "IGNORE" function Account Wide

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by KrayzeeYou, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Since /auction is available for a pure free account, a account wide /ignore is 100 percent useless and is a waste of developer time

https://www.everquest.com/free/

/shout, /auction, /raid, /fellowship, and the new player channel
    Mae- and Rotherian like this.
  2. Alarra Well-Known Member

Not Really, if you know their play time and you use FC (windows File compare command) or "diff" (linux, can be run in windows with emulator) across the log files very fast and easy to parse those logs for differences.

My vote is NO for my previously stated stalking reason, shared accounts, petty ignores, and because of the situation outlined below.

[AwesomeHealer] plays his under-geared [Badtank] alt that they are still learning that does a bad job in the zone....ignorelist. You probably didn't know that [badtank] is actually [AwesomeHealer] so you miss out on grouping with them on their main.
  3. Vladislav Active Member

It is much easier to just /friend the person you are stalking and run macros to see who logs on when they log off. A TON faster to find their alts that way within a week, and without them ever needing to talk. Bet I can find all your alts within a week without account-wide ignore function. Lets not even get into me being accepted into your guild on my alt and asking your guildmate about your alts, shall we?

Account-wide ignore leading into people knowing your alts is a fallacy. Right now I have much better tools for that. Comparing which people I do not see in gen chat while ignoring their alts is FAR too inefficient for my time. Without you actually approving me /friending your characters, your account is an open book already. it is exactly like saying "i do not want people hacking in into my isp to find my address" while maintaining your address linked to mane and email in the Yellow Pages.

This is the best and only reason so far I have seen against account-wide /ignore, but people just do not see how much easier it is to do the same with the current system. The triviality of it should negate the problem with the proposal. Not one person will be using tthe new system to stalk you out.
  4. Vladislav Active Member

Really? I am pretty sure if I /ignore you, I do not see you posts in ANY channels. I think you are confused to why people want to use /ignore. Hint: not just for spammers. Personally, there are some individuals I do not want to associate with in game, ever. Not because they spam, but because of things they stand for. Account-wide /ignore lets me do this, current /ignore does not.
    Cloudrat likes this.
  5. Ynnek Well-Known Member

I believe the point being made was that since those channels are available to free players - one could simply spin up a new *account* and continue to be a pain, bypassing your fancy new account wide ignore.
  6. Ynnek Well-Known Member

With the current system, it's a bit like noticing that Clark Kent and Superman are never seen in the same room together, and whenever one enters, the other has just stepped out. Someone paying close enough attention is bound to notice, that's fair. It won't confirm it for you, but it's awfully suggestive...

With account wide ignore,it adds two more options. You can now say "I wonder who Superman really is", and the next time Clark speaks, you'll instantly know. Or, the ability to ask "Game, is Clark Kent Supperman?", and have the game say yes, yes he is, on demand...

There is a bit of a difference...
  7. Vladislav Active Member

Ignore feature for me is not about the spam, it is about not supporting a person in any way. Fun time story time - a couple years back on Freeport there was a shipdit that was making a lot of fun of **** victims. Not the person I ever want to play with or support in game. Unfortunately with current system of /ignore, I might be doing it right now with his alt. I care less about someone that spends few minutes between each account creation just to spam than about that guy. I think that guy exemplifies for me why the current system should be changed. Can that person make a different account? Sure. But I can still ignore his 95 tank, 95 ranger, 95 etc alt on main account...Much improvement over current /ignore.
  8. Ynnek Well-Known Member

And if the feature did go in, there's someone I'd merrily use it on for that exact same reason.

I just want to make sure people think about the possible side effects regarding using it to sniff out all of someones alts. Everyone can merrily have their own opinion on whether that's a good thing, or not.
  9. Mae- Well-Known Member

How on earth can you even possibly parse every single person that logs in/out in a given time frame? /who all only gets you so far.
  10. Mae- Well-Known Member

So it's totally ok for you to group with the same person as long as he made the effort to make a second account? Your reasoning isn't very sound.
  11. Diggen New Member

The level of fear and paranoia in this thread is both amazing and scary. If I was in a guild that truly did spend so much time investigating members for non-guild alts I think I would find another guild. If I played while in constant fear of people trying to find all of my alts I'd step away from MMO's.
    Torvaldr likes this.
  12. Mae- Well-Known Member

Expressing concerns about alts being found out doesn't mean that we "live in constant fear" of it. It's merely expressing that alts are only the business of the account holder, no one else. The account holder should be the sole person to determine who should and shouldn't know alts.
  13. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Honestly, I am certain that there are exponentially more jerks that should be on global /ignore than there are people who will take the time to do the kind of compare-and-contrast that would allow someone to figure out their alts (also known as "stalkers"). Unless obsessed, most people won't even take the time to simply /ignore an idiot, few go to the lengths to /report and /petition and idiot, and the number who would actual dig out your alts has to be microscopic.

However, there's no reason that SOE can't implement a /ignore_global {name} command and simply hide the alts. In your Friends window, the tab showing toons on /ignore would have the name of the toon you set on /ignore_global only, and some indication that it is global, whether that's a different text color, an asterisk, or a column with a checkmark in it.
  14. Mae- Well-Known Member

You make it sound easy, Sigrdrifa, but I don't think it's quite that easy, not in this version of the game.
  15. SteelPiston Active Member

A forums account wide ignore might show Mae, kraeref, tylia, Rotherian, Malleria, Balbasaur, Errrorr to be the same person...lol

I'm one of the silent majority. Please SOE, just give us the EQ2 /account ignore function so can control who we want to ignore and to put the fear of account ignore into the people that dread it the most...the TROLLS.
  16. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

Not if it was from a brand spanking new FTP account that can be created in about 3 minutes. SOE is setting themselves a stiff regime coming up and developer time is better spent with that
  17. Avahlynn Well-Known Member

Hehe... Just the idea of Mae and Balbasar being secretly the same person make me laugh. Ty for that!
  18. Treiko Active Member

I would settle for the ignore list being saved and passed to my alts like the friends list
  19. Rotherian Well-Known Member

If we are trying to bring actual logic into this discussion, then neither your assertion, Rainmare, nor that of Balbasur, rests upon sound logical grounds because they are both argumentum ad populum. They are both appeals to popularity rather than discussions of sound logic. Don't get me wrong, I've been just as guilty of using logical fallacies in my posts. So has almost every poster in this thread.

Perhaps we all need to take a (figurative) step back, consider the logical grounds for our viewpoint, then come back to the thread and discuss those, letting them stand or fall on their own logical merit, rather than appeals to anything that isn't logic. I placed a link (to the wikipedia page containing the list of logical fallacies) in the previous paragraph. It would probably not be a bad idea for everyone (myself included) to become familiar with that list before continuing this discussion, because it isn't getting us anywhere. If we avoid most of the fallacies on that list, then maybe we can actually make some progress with this discussion.

Most, if not all, of the posters in this thread are adults. It is time that all of us (myself included) started acting like it.
  20. Artemiz Active Member

Judgement and hiding and escape from responsibilities, oh my. Seriously folks?

Regardless of the reason or attempted justification behind it, the ignore feature exist and is recommended by the GM's as a feature to use to remove other players from chat windows and interactions because FOR WHATEVER REASON you have chosen to do so.

These are people who you have offended in some way egregiously enough to warrant them putting you on ignore. They obviously do not want to interact with you an the only reason you would want to interact with them further is because you intend to annoy them or disrupt their game play.

Trolling and griefing should not be a gameplay style but it has become one because people like to hide behind anonymity. When all of the sudden they cant be a jerk on a hidden toon because it affects the social interaction and broker transactions of all their toons they may stop and rethink it.

A server side implementation whereby alts are not placed in the client side list solves all the paranoia of finding out who your alts are anyway.
    Sigrdrifa and Torvaldr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.