Mail order

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-erin, Sep 13, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-erin Guest

So I see this guy for the third day in a row looking for an armorer. I tell him to mail me the stuff and I'll get it back to him within 24 hours. Nope, that's "too scary". Hmmm ok, so handing a complete stranger your rares is ok, but mailing them to a complete stranger is "too scary"?
    You guys run into this a lot? I'm unwilling to drop everything to help a complete stranger, but I am willing to do a mail order at my convenience. BTW, the guy is still looking for a crafter :D
  2. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

You can craft it on the commission system in person with zero risk.
    I'm happy to provide references, but I am not going to drop what I am doing, leave my group or raid, to go craft. I do carry portable tables with me, but I don't have crafting materials in my adventuring bags - if a person wants to get ALL the materials and fuels provided, travel to me, and tip, THEN I will craft while I am otherwise busy.
    That being said, if I am free I may offer to craft stuff. But if the person doesn't tip, I won't do work for them again /shrug.
    This is why I craft mostly for friends and guildmates.
  3. ARCHIVED-erin Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    Odds are he was going to hand the crafter 7 rares, he wasn't going to commission it. But then again, maybe he was, so I guess that does take all the risk out. Good point.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kigneer Guest

erin wrote:
    Mailing rares to have things crafted is usually reserved for those tradeskillers you know and trust, and also know the "crafter will get to it when they're not busy" and the item isn't needed right away. The dude probably wants it done quickly, not sitting in a mailbox for a week.
  5. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

Kigneer wrote:
    I'm sure he wants it Right Now.
    But if I am in a group, the person looking for a crafter must either trust me enough to mail it or find someone else or contact me later - it's ridiculous to assume that I will stop an instance to go craft something for a crummy 20g tip.
  6. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Kigneer wrote:
    I've been asked personally several times to craft something for someone via tell while I'm out adventuring. I let them know I'm busy now but if they mail me an order I'll get to it before I log. About half of them take me up on it.
    While I'm not one of the best known crafters on AB, I've got a lot of well known level 80/80 characters. I've been playing EQ2 since the beginning. I talk a lot in the crafting channel and answer questions. I not only belong to one of the oldest guilds on the server, but I've become the guild leader. Honestly, my reputation is worth more than any amount of silicate loam that someone is going to mail me. There is a long list of crafters on AB that I'd trust to do mail order business with simply because they are part of the community, and they arn't going to try and pull a fast one to make a few coins. That's just silly.
    Honestly, anyone that's put in the effort to make it to 80 can probably be trusted. Just talk to them and work out the deal. If you really don't trust them you can use /report after the conversation. If you have trouble later, you can ask customer service to get involved. While you might not get what you wanted, you will get your stuff back. Seriously though, as long as you can wait a day or two the mail order thing works wonderfully.
  7. ARCHIVED-Whilhelmina Guest

Same here, I did a lot of orders through mails and, even if I just don't take orders except for friends now, I can always craft things if someone mails me the rares. I'm well known on my server and my reputation as a crafter is worth much more for me than a bunch of rares.
  8. ARCHIVED-Kigneer Guest

Sigrdrifa@Lucan DLere wrote:
    And apparently that's what that dude has been doing -- looking for someone to make the item for him and not in the mail.
    I don't ask perfect strangers to mail me rares to craft. It's like asking a perfect stranger to send you his car keys, they'll balk...and I won't blame them, either.
  9. ARCHIVED-erin Guest

Kigneer wrote:
    And 3 days later he was still looking. I always tell them that I promise 24 hour turn around, worst case. And I've had plenty of people "trust me" with their rares. Like Sig, I won't drop everything for some perfect stranger, but I will take care of their stuff within a few hours, next morning at the latest.
    Again, most times when they are doing a set of armor, they will be handing me the rares anyway, just "in person", instead of mailing. Most times when its multiples, they aren't commissioning it. There's always that possibility of course. So is it really different to hand a stranger 7 rares vs mailing a stranger 7 rares? If they are going to screw you, they can do it either way.
  10. ARCHIVED-Kigneer Guest

erin wrote:
    Not knowing who it maybe, he may have been burned before (in EQ2 or another game) and now extra cautious.
  11. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

A little off topic but related . . .
    Seems a few times previously the topic has come up for some type of offline comissioning. Where someone could go to a "broker" type NPC and request a crafted item. A list of materials would be presented. They would have to put all the items in the window (fuel included to make it a simpler transaction I would assum). They could then place the amount of coin in the window they are going to pay.
    Crafters coming in would check a "marketboard" for outstanding orders for their crafting class. They would see the amount of payment and could accept the order which would essentially perform a comission. Once completed the final product would get mailed to the person making the request and the crafter would get paid.
    Sounds like a decent idea and may make things a bit easier for both crafters and those seeking those services.
  12. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Artemiz@The Bazaar wrote:
    So...what happens if the crafter fails?
  13. ARCHIVED-erin Guest

Meirril wrote:
    Or goes ld or decides not to finish the commission? I'm all in favor of offline commissioning, it would make a lot of sense to me, but there does need to be some controls around it. A crafter can't accept the commission and then sit on the materials for a day. It should be like a writ, there's a short window then the commission expires and the materials go back to the commission system.
    Failure is an interesting one... who ends up losing the materials? This would be a stupid way people would grief each other.