Mail of frost....from useless to useless

Discussion in 'Wizard' started by ARCHIVED-BlkVpr, Mar 23, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-blynchehaun Guest

<Well, the way I see it is - Wizards are not meant for soloing or grouping. They are BORN for raiding . >

That's nice.

Not everyone shares that opinion though.

Most everybody I know spends more time soloing or grouping than they do raiding. And in *those* situations, I find this spell incredibly useful since the change.

<I liked it the way it was with an agro reducer, even if it was a eensy weensy one. >

Perhaps you can explain the inherent contradiction in the "the new version is crap" argument for me.

The complaint is that the new version "can't even save me from a heroic mob". That the mob hits for "more hp than I have".

Since the old one warded for less damage so that anytime the *new* ward wouldn't help you, then the old ward wouldn't help you either.

Could someone please explain the logic break?
  2. ARCHIVED-BlkVpr Guest

In that exact situation there is no difference. But the point is that on occassion, the old wards hate reduction was enough to save you from death if you didnt get one shotted. Now this ward has no threat reduction, and the ward strength is not enough to allow the tank to get back up on the top of the aggro line.
  3. ARCHIVED-Emperador Guest

this spell has now been removed from my hotbar, it is a POS at this point.
  4. ARCHIVED-Azmoran Guest

I have mixed feelings about the change, but I give it a very slight + on the good change side.
    It was never that good, the deaggro was nice, but really not good to begin with. If they just changed to go off at 30% AND do deaggro it would have been a good change. Again in a lot of situations still not great, but better. I think it was just silly to remove deggro bit.
  5. ARCHIVED-BlkVpr Guest

Ok confirmed, the ward itself is useless. At level 65 a level 66 ^ trash mob chewed through it in two hits. MAKE IT STRONGER! 3-5k PLEASE
  6. ARCHIVED-BlkVpr Guest

Also confirmed, a hit that is more than you have life is NOT intercepted by mail of frost. Got one shooted for 4k, ward did not activate.
  7. ARCHIVED-jeesh800 Guest

say that Mail of frost is fix now is like saying that " oh, i'm just a little pregnant":smileymad:
    Mail of Frost should be a true life saver 100% block of all incoming damage for 10 sec after you are down to less than 30% health with a 15 min recast.
    this would you to doone of three things: kill the mob thats killing you, have the tank regain aggro, or evac/runaway

this would make it useful in raids and solo/grps
  8. ARCHIVED-blynchehaun Guest

<In that exact situation there is no difference. But the point is that on occassion, the old wards hate reduction was enough to save you from death if you didnt get one shotted. Now this ward has no threat reduction, and the ward strength is not enough to allow the tank to get back up on the top of the aggro line. >

The logic-break continues......

<In that exact situation there is no difference. >

Please read the thread. That is the exact situation that people are complaining about.

<But the point is that on occassion, the old wards hate reduction was enough to save you from death if you didnt get one shotted. Now this ward has no threat reduction, and the ward strength is not enough to allow the tank to get back up on the top of the aggro line. >

Wait a second here....

Let's pretend for a split-second that the last ward would keep you alive for one hit (which according to this thread, the *new* ward can't do, so neither could the old one.......).

Pretending for a moment that you survived that *one* hit, your attacker was de-aggroed for 500.

My 45 SK has taunts that are for over 400. More than one. I have 3 that cycle fairly quickly. And SKs have the *least* number of taunts.

You're saying that a 500pt detaunt (assuming you survive the hit, which is unlikely) will 'save' you, when multiple taunts won't?

This makes no sense.

Your next point will likely be that the 500pt detaunt combined with the tanks taunts is what saves you.

Interesting.

So, you need 1.5k of Taunts and a 500pt deaggro to get the mob off?

You're right, as 1200pt ward isn't going to help you.

Frankly, neither is a 12000pt ward..............................
  9. ARCHIVED-Brigh Guest

So they didnt fix this no warding issue with the downtime after the downtime eh?

I just tried to save my life in SP Upper Tunnels and it did nothing for me.
  10. ARCHIVED-blynchehaun Guest

Have you /bugged it?

I ask, as it's triggering just fine for me.
  11. ARCHIVED-Silentstalk Guest

Mail of Frost will never and should never save you from a raid mob. If you take aggro during a raid either: 1. You are doing something wrong or 2. Your raid tank is kicking instead of taunting. Thats just my opinion though, Ive been wrong before.....
  12. ARCHIVED-IllusiveThoughts Guest

yeap working for me.
    you have to cast it on yourself (self buff that looks like frost sheild icon now) once on yourself its a 12 hr buff.
    for me with 4K buffed hp it will trigger when my hp goes to about 1200. it will even trigger when I take falling damage.
    the ward will not absorb incoming damage. My previous posts were suggestions on how to fix the ward to make it useful.
    if they dont make it intercept incoming dmg, then they need to have it activate at like 60-80% health in order to save a mages life.
  13. ARCHIVED-UUCyberSteve Guest

My .02 ...

MoF ... IS useful now
    MoF ... works for me
    MoF ... saved my butt a couple times already
    MoF ... even if it by some miracle saved your can in a raid, you probably won't survive the next round.
    (ie don't use MoF to try and solve the wrong problem)
    MoF ... great for group/solo ... helps with our general surviveability
    MoF ... leave warding to the Shammies

I like it ... thanks SOE! ... do NOT change it! (except for more absorption) :)

Nuff Said,
    - Frostwynn
  14. ARCHIVED-Sokolov Guest

At level 64, my best single target ward will only ward you for approximately 1000 damage, costs 153 power and takes 2 seconds to cast.
  15. ARCHIVED-BlkVpr Guest

Yes, believe or not ignoramus, that dropping your threat level wtih a mob will make it that much easier for the taunts of said tank to pull the mob off you. Furthurmore, that 500pt deaggro might be enough in itself (and was on many times) to get the mob off me, as I had passed the tank in aggro, but only by a very small amount. And when I say "in that exact situation" I'm referring to how effective the actual ward itself was/is from saving you, which it isnt. And for those who say that this ward shouldnt save you from a raid mob I ask you this.....go over to the necro forums and recommend that their 100% feign death (save from raid mobs) be removed....then jump to the conj forums and ask that their 3 shot massive deaggro (likely save from raid mobs) be nerfed to crap. See what kind of responses you get. That's not going to happen....therefore we deserve a 5k damage ward that we can activate at our convenience.
  16. ARCHIVED-IllusiveThoughts Guest

but gasp how can that be? Conj/nec like to say they offer little utility and should instead be doing T1 dps and not to nerf the class. /sarcasim off
  17. ARCHIVED-Griffinhart Guest

It was working for me just fine in Bonemire last night. I was fighting the bug men there for a quest and they were resisting root quite a bit. It triggered and absorbed damage for me as it should. Though, I would call it a rune spell and not a ward as it doesn't heal for the remaining HP it has left. But it does prevent damage.
  18. ARCHIVED-QQ-Fatman Guest

Warlock version of this spell - Nullmail, is also much better than ours, though not as good as summoner's. They got a 12sec buff that +50% evasion, +2500 all mitigation. That means they'll have the same ac as a plate tank, higher avoidance than a monk, and almost capped resistances vs. all spells. It doesnt generate aggro like our ward does, and actually work vs. raid mobs (you can evade raid mobs' attack easily with it.) Our mail of frost really needs some improvement. The 1300 ward cant even save me from hard hitting heroic mobs (like in halls of fate, heroic mobs can hit me for 8000 damage.)
  19. ARCHIVED-Dejah Guest

6 Mage Sub-Classes: Half have good ones that are useful against epics. The other half doesn't. We just happen to be one of the unlucky ones that don't have an emergency skill that helps against epics.
    • Sorcerer
      • Wizard
        • Ward, prevents a small fraction of damage from an epic mob.
      • Warlock
        • Evade, greatly increases the chance of avoiding an attack from an epic mob. (though it's still an autotrigger, so not super great)
    • Summoner
      • Conjurur
        • Stoneskin, absorbs 3 hits. Godly versus an epic mob, thats like a 20k+ ward in comparison.
      • Necromancer
        • Feign Death, 100% surviveability.
    • Enchanter
      • Illusionist
        • AE Mez (like they needed another one of those, at least this one has hate reduction I guess).
      • Coercer
        • AE Fear
    Some classes got lucky other didn't. The designer's goal was probably to make different "emergency" spells that would be useful for each sub class when group and soloing. Unfortunately, since they didn't take raids into consideration, they ended up giving some classes really really great abilities.
  20. ARCHIVED-Cowtothesky Guest

Interesting post Dehah. I haven't seen that side by side before.
    It looks like conjurers/necros get a WHOLE LOT A LOVIN from Sony. Of course, thats nothing new though.