lvl 100 Heroic characters OP ?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Ekenae, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Ekenae New Member

Hi, there,

Back on EQ2 after years, I had the idea to start directly on a lvl100 character. I had to stop at lvl 80 at the time and I didn't want to level 1-80 again. So I made a "heroic character" with "try before you buy" option to see what it would be like. Here I am, lvl100 Wizard with legendary equipment and adept spells in the "Tranquil sea" zone.

The problem is that I'm obviously OP.

I oneshot absolutely everyone, even ^^^ level 104 heroic mobs. I launched an instance of "The hidden Caldera" in Heroic and, likewise, I oneshot most of the mobs...

Is this a bug or is it normal now to be OP ? Where is the fun ?
  2. Jrox Well-Known Member

If your buying a boosted toon, the assumption is your trying to max level your toon as quick as possible. Also you have more AA ability trees now than in the years lvl 100 is current. So turn off your aa spec and see what that does for your abilities. It will probably tone it down quite a bit if your wanting to experience those areas as if you were living in the past. Otherwise your going to be boosted by everything except in current content. I can promise you in current content the game play is not one shoting anything.
    Feara likes this.
  3. Tkia Well-Known Member

It's not a heroic character problem. The game mechanics change drastically at level 100 and above and as soon as you ding that and put on the approprate gear you are well OP for anything that went before.
    Jrox likes this.
  4. Ekenae New Member

OK thank you all for your answers.

As i said, i one shoot even ^^^ level 104 heroic mobs... So is it a mater of zone (i.e anything in Tranquil sea zone and his instances will be easy even if lvl > 100) ?

Thanks
  5. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

The Planes of Prophecy expansion increased the level from 100 to 110, and brought with it such an exponential increase in XP that grinding is no longer practical. If you want to spend 4 years grinding one level, knock yourself out. Rather, they changed the progression system to require you to do the expansion's signature and other questlines to level up, while gearing you out at the start of the expansion so you're on an even playing field while you gear up from progressing.

As a result, all content from the expansion before are now completely trivialized, with your toon being overpowered. The expansion that came before Planes of Prophecy -- Kunark Ascending, still provided a little challenge in the raid zones, but otherwise wasn't a big deal.

That's just how the game is now. You have to quest, everyone starts off at an even playing field at the start of each expansion, and old gear is now genuinely useless except for adornments and gear earned directly from the expansion before the current.
    Breanna likes this.