LU24 thoughts so far

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Fat T, Jun 15, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-BaronVonPitviper Guest

Hint 7:

Historically Tanatus is ALWAYS right thus you should never try and argue with him :-D
  2. ARCHIVED-Fat T Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Xede Guest

rofl endaur...reason why i stop arguing with him =]
  4. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

Exactly.
  5. ARCHIVED-Dyshar Guest

I miss my pre LU13 warlock =(

Playing my illusionist for the time being.
  6. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Instead of dump copy and paste patch note person should actually play warlock and once in a while do right mouse click on spell and read thing that he see
    Resistance of spell have nothing to do with level of person - only factor is level of mob
  7. ARCHIVED-Fat T Guest

Regardless, wouldn't common sense lead you to believe that you're better off using a higher level spell?
  8. ARCHIVED-Lenefir Guest

Hmm...

Cower (level 47) uses less power to cast than cowering bind (level 61). So if you have both at adept 3 and unless there are any observable difference (like the written increased resist rate above a certain level (which shouldn't apply if the mobs are below that level), and different duration (which rarely last for all of it if you intend to damage the mob)) then I can't see why not use the lower version one. Of course, damage spells and buffs and stuff usually have a visible improvement when you get a new version of it so those would be another matter.

Oh, and regarding apocalypse breaking a root on each tick or only on the initial cast you can prove for yourself that any tick of damage of any dot will have a chance to break a root.

1) Go to sinking sands or pillar of flames and find the clusters of scorpions (since they don't tend to do the magic warp-on-top-of-you-while-still-rooted trick and don't do any damage on you from distance (at least not that I can remember right now)). If the scorpions are not grey be careful of the social aggro though, especially if in PoF :smileymad:
    2) Cast group root on them.
    3) Cast devastation (could maybe use apocalypse for you 70 people there, but I think that might kill the scorpions too quick).
    4) Watch the damage ticks.
    5) Watch one or more of them come running towards you because the damage from the dot broke the root.
    6) If in some rare case the dot didn't break the root before the scorpions died, then please try again, as I am positive it will at some time. Just ask the mender, I'm sure he remembers me from all my visits to him.

And that last comment reminded me of the original topic since I have never died so much as after LU#24, not really because of roots breaking more than before (that I mostly blame on me trying risky things like dots (I wonder where I got the idea to cast a dot on a rooted mob in the first place? Could it perhaps be that I get an encounter dot as my big damage spell? I wouldn't know :smileymad: )), but either because if I try to kill solo encounters the group root duration at my level is less than its recast so I end up with one or more of them at melee range and then it's usually an interrupt feast culiminating in roasted ratonga. Or I can't root mobs and not get social aggro unless I'm very lucky or very picky in the quests I do and mobs I kill. And my wimpy mage self isn't made to body pull mobs with all the nasty tricks mobs do these days.

Message Edited by Lenefir on 07-06-2006 04:27 AM
  9. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Lets look on common sence shall we?
    a) Power cost of Cowering Bind vs. Cower (bearing in mind that you NEED chain cast this spell as soon as it pop up)
    b) Initial resistance check for Master 1 Cower vs. Adept 3 Cowering bind (chance of brake is identical for Apprentice 1 and Master 3 lol aka 15% difference only how easy spell lands)
    c) Minimum intellegence to read spell discription (aka +20 level to MOB not to +20 to PLAYER cause resistance elevation and btw not by much I yet to see Cower M1 bonce from lvl 73 snakes in Nizara)
    Combine A+B+C and you obviously will chose to use M1 Cower over Adept 3 Cowering Bind ...
  10. ARCHIVED-Fat T Guest

Yeah, the whole 10-20 power sure is a deterant. Man, that can totally change the outcome of a fight...lol
  11. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

after like 20-25 recasts of it things adds up
  12. ARCHIVED-Fat T Guest

lol, I'm not sure what you're soloing to have to cast root that often.
  13. ARCHIVED-Dajuuk Guest

I really don't understand why Root is the only spell in the game that is upgradable but with no benefit having to spend the resources to upgrade it. The function of root is essentially unchanged from level 1 to 70. Root should be changed the same way invis was changed in LU13. Give us the spell one time and don't require us to invest new resources every 14 levels to "standstill" functionally.
  14. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

It's ok to admit you're wrong for once. 20power when you are sitting at 6200 or so is negligable at best. That is much less than one tick of regen.
  15. ARCHIVED-MilkToast Guest

Lol, if that were only true. Lots of classes have spells that must be upgraded for no or minimal improvement.
  16. ARCHIVED-Fat T Guest

He's not wrong in his point that Cower is more efficient for 67<, but IMO it's a waste of a spot on my hotbars to have 2 roots on the same timer, so why not just get the higher since I'm only rooting maybe 3-4 times/mob.
  17. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Dude difference a bit more then 20 power and then you cast 20-25 roots during combat its adds up but that not important... Important is different thing:
    Master cower have initial resist check set at -40% which a lot better compare to Adept 3 Cowering Bind.... I bet resist elevation vs mob lvl 67+ scaled with mobs level and I can firmly tell that Master 1 Cower lands on lvl 73 +++ snake in Nizara better then Adept 3 Cowering Bind. In other words what ever penalty been apply it still not overcome bonus of Master level of spell.
    Chance of brake both roots have absolutely indentical 15% and it not differ from Apprentice 1 to Master 1. Basically you have a trade off Master 1 have less power cost and better chance to land vs. Adept 3 of next tier - have higher chance on initial, more cost of power but a tiny longer duration
  18. ARCHIVED-Fat T Guest

How many resists do you actually get?

I can't think of one time since I was just leveling up and working on my subjugation skill that my root was resisted.
  19. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

20-25 roots during combat? That would be about a 5 minute battle...what are you killing, darathar?
  20. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Carnovigan .... you have a problem with that? Occasionally Mandragora take a while too

P.S. On Adept 3 Cowering Bind vs. lvl 73-74 snake I have on average 20-30% resistance, never seen resist on Master 1 Cower (or may be it was resist but so rare I cannt recall)
    Message Edited by Tanatus on 07-11-2006 12:01 PM