Low level named mobs - do they drop legendary/exquisite items?

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-Xianthia, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Xianthia Guest

I've been questing in Everfrost, Enchanted lands and have killed a lot of named in those zones (including Overlord Ix in Enchanted Lands). None of the named have dropped anything but a small chest or a treasure chest. Overlord Ix actually didn't drop anything (was my first time killing him) was very disappointing :( .
    Is this how the named have been changed or have they never dropped anything above a treasure chest? Or is it a /bug?
  2. ARCHIVED-Mermut Guest

It varies by the named and the zones. Most of the contested ^ names drop a regular chest or occassionally an ornate. Once you hit Kunark, I believe the named are almost always an ornate.
  3. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

In the early days of EQ2, Legendary was rare and almost exclusively from heroic and raid content. In those days, people actually wore Treasured items (or even the tier below that, Uncommon) and collecting a full set of Legendary gear was actually a bit of an accomplishment for non-raiders. Fabled was basically unheard-of except off of raid MOBs (and even some epic MOBs had no Fabled items on their loot tables, though most of those have since been down-tiered into heroic MOBs).
    Since those days SOE, has added generic Legendary drops to the global loot tables, so you will occasionally get an ornate chest off of random trash. I believe there are also some global Fabled drops in later levels (like 70+) because I've seen them on the broker. I have no idea how common they are, however.
    But to answer your question directly, below level 60-ish, you won't see many Legendary or Fabled drops from named MOBs. Once you start getting into the Kingdom of Sky/Echoes of Faydwer content (61-70), Legendary gets a bit more common in heroic content, but most named continue to drop Treasured most commonly up through Kunark. TSO heroic instances are where you start seeing guaranteed Legendary items with a shot at Fabled.
    Keep in mind, though, that low-level gear has been upgraded several times over the years, to the point where Treasured gear these days is better than even the top-tier raid loot from launch era.
  4. ARCHIVED-thephantomposter Guest

I get ornate/exquisite chests from named mobs tier 1 and up. Mostly ornate chests though. I got most of my masters for my latest toon that way till tier 6ish. Then my luck ran out and started getting everone elses masters but mine. :(
  5. ARCHIVED-The_Cheeseman Guest

Yes, the drop rate for low-level masters is pretty high these days, since most people pass those levels fairly quickly. Also, I believe up to level 20 masters use smart loot, which increases the chance of a spell that you can actually use.
  6. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

You can get legendary drops from pretty much any mob. Many of the old world overland named mobs had only treasured as their main loot for years though, so many still mostly drop treasured chests. I've gotten a lot of pretty nice legendary drops from t2 up though running alts through things recently. Many times from random trash mobs. New items that have been added since the names are very diabloish.
    In old dungeons like Permafrost, Ruins of Varsoon, Nektropos etc master/legendary chests seem to drop like candy from all sorts of things.
  7. ARCHIVED-Xianthia Guest

Finora@Everfrost wrote:
    Oh I get it that trash mobs drop legendary/exquisite chests. But named dropping treasured just surprised me, I killed a lot of named on those two zones and was :( about it
    Not yet of the level to go to Perma, maybe those named will be kinder to me :)
  8. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

They can yes. What sucks is a lot of the old Fabled missed the itemization upgrade pass though. Named mobs from Kunark on are on a Leg+ only loot table. Even old world epics can drop treasured. You will find however that a lot of the old world bosses drop hugely loaded chests with several pieces of armor, a few spells, and a few rare harvestables.
  9. ARCHIVED-roblinb Guest

Meaghan@Lucan DLere wrote:
    This is true. I remember killing Cragshell (named heroic mob in Enchanted Lands) way back in 2007 and the scrub only dropped a small chest, with some garbage tradeskill book that sold for less than a gold on the market LOL
    Good times. That's definitely one of the downsides to this game, weak loot at lower levels from named mobs.
  10. ARCHIVED-Mccar42 Guest

most of the t5 named drop legendary and a tradeskill rare as said above.

The t5 raid named drop a large container of junk! lol
    they normally have like a few adepts about 3 TS rare's some masters some treasured/legendary loot and a chance at a fabled item.
    IIRC the term for a bad drop in t5/6 was WBoS (Wooden Box of S***) because the legendary boxes were not in game back than it would just be a "treasured box" look. lol