LOVE DM...in groups.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Chilton0585, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Chilton0585 Member

So I have run a few dungeons on AB, and by a few I mean a bunch, and they were okay...not really that much fun.

Then I ran one in a full group....omg I havn't had so much fun since EQ1.

We had a designated puller yanking mobs back to the tank who pulled them off, and we had to beat it down before it killed us, because it could actually kill us. Such a refreshing play style. It reminded me of slowly creeping through Dalnir or something in EQ :D

SO fun, but wish I could attain that challenge in a solo mode.
  2. Kerrthunk Member

DM is a VERY different experience with a full group (without mercs). A well set up dungeon becomes a true interesting challenge.

It is possible for it to be this way in solo mode. 1st off, to make it challenging, the player can't use a merc. Mercs blow through most DM mobs. That said, the player would need to be well geared, have potions, totems, etc.

The maker needs to have ALL the effect objects and use them well. Including increasing AND decreasing level and tier of the mobs. That way you can make hard encounters, but balance them (some...). Have a wide variety of spawners, including bosses and elites also makes a big difference.

Over all, it is hard to make a dungeon that is challenging solo, but that is not too hard for casual runners. Lately, I am trying to make my hardest encounters "optional" and let the player know it. That way if they struggle, they can skip it and still finish.