Looking for a builder on Skyfire

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Laughing Owl, May 25, 2021.

1. Laughing Owl Active Member

Wanting to love on Isle of Mara, but no good homes.

Looking for somebody that could build me a home/castle/keep in the water.

Ideal would be:
    The 'island' opposite the docks actually in the bay, extending a bit into the bay towards the docks. (Ideally from bedroom, (being able to see waterfall up river).

The Keep, nothing real fancy, but ideally:
    bridge from main land to get into (can be something fairly simple)

First floor a great hall (fireplace bonus) and a section for kitchen.

Second floor::

Master bedroom (ideally with windows on three side facing water) on the side towards the docks / so able to see waterfall from window (or views over the bay)

Central section an open deck/patio area

Opposite end from master bedroom split into two rooms:
    second/guest bedroom
    Library/study type room.

Overall wanting to decorate more myself, but not good at creating structures.

IF interested please feel free to contact me here, or in game to Annifyr (skyfire again)

Thanks in Advance
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

So, essentially, since you like to decorate, it'd mainly be the construction aspect...? o_O

Hmm.....

Uwk
    who has a level 100/100 Wizard/Carpy on Skyfire...
    Breanna likes this.
  3. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Would you want something in keeping with the overall style of the native population, or the more "European" look of the outlanders (Far Seas)?

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Laughing Owl Active Member

Yes (to making building/construction)

'House' could be either more European castle, or more asian influenced if easier. Either would be fine, main thing is liking the view from in the air in the bay, so wanting bedroom there, and overlooking the water and back up the river.

Would appreciate walls, etc being done (and generally darker colors) and open to features that make it special bring out some talent showcase, etc... but most furniture/decor would plan on doing myself.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...I myself am still a very junior decorator/architect, but I've been poking around on my own Mara Estate, and I've found that a foundation of six flat Tiles that get up to size 12, set at 45 degrees to the compass (which means JesDyr's layout editor to move them around, if an editor is used), and a bunch of Tall Columns "propping up the Tiles" (as if the Keep is on pylons, like houses in the tropics) that also get up to size 12 isn't a bad place to start, with the topmost bit of the tallest "hill" on the island right underneath the highest Tile (with it being best if Flora is turned off, or furniture or inner walls strategically placed ;->).

Other than that...I also made a walkway of Stairs laid down at water level (well, just above, so they don't get water over them) from the mainland to the island's closest point, which worked pretty well. Still at 45 degrees, though. :-/

But I'm not sure how much talent I have with architecture; there are folks here who do amazing things with a few building blocks and bare land to make entire cities from scratch. :)

Uwk
    who thought of "bridge(s)" and went to EQ2 Furniture, thinking: a Sturdy Short Rope Bridge on the mainland, with a Castle Drawbridge leading into the Keep...
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Robynous Well-Known Member

You should know that if you build in the water, and camp, you will drown when you log-in again. I had to buid a house on the dock. I have a Vale of Halfpint Delight which had a crafting and camping area built out beyond the dock that was a proto-guild-hall, but they changed something in the game that meant that the toon appeared before the structures did. All my toons were trapped and drowning when I logged on.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

What happens these days, which saves folks with older systems (/raising_paw; heck, at one point I was still trying to play this game on a Win98 for the longest time and couldn't get into a HOUSE of mine, let alone a Guild Hall until they changed it from items->toon to the current method), is that yeah, they load the toon(s) right off, then everything else, all the building blocks/house items/default "set decoration" (toon->items). Kind of a pain in the tuchis for re-skinners who may have done like a hill or a ramp or something to a "higher plane" at the entrance, only to find themselves and their visitors trapped underneath as things appear overhead. :-/

And yeah, I know exactly how you feel; I had gone off for a bit for a longer-than-expected bio break and gotten /afk'ed, then eventually booted back to Character Select. Came back in with her, only to find her trapped and drowning underneath the bridge/pier thing I'd built; lucky for me, the water wasn't that deep. Still... :-/

I'm beginning to think I should shift my main Carpy duties and levels over to my natural water-breather races...either that, or make sure I walk away from the computer with my toon on a more solid piece of ground. ;->

Uwk
    Breanna and Robynous like this.
  8. Robynous Well-Known Member

The change rather ruined some of the homes I have built, although having to work around the problem by making sure there is always a camping spot somewhere in the house is quite fun. Like I said, I built a large house on the dock of the Mara house so that the dock is just below the floor, so at least the ground floor is made camping safe! The house would be very prone to flooding, and I would have rather built it higher up, but sometimes you have to let go of these concerns!
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...that's one of the reasons I went with the "Big House in the tropics" idea with support posts, but yeah, if you logged out away from the "solid land" of the island, it wouldn't matter how many supports you have, if it isn't part of the original "set decoration" default elements. :-/

Getting back to Laughing Owl's original request before I derail this any more, I know Quiarrah's on Skyfire, and she's a brilliant re-skinner, so I'm sure she'd be good with architecture. :)

She may be still catching her breath after her recent build, though, but...how 'bout it, Q? Interested? :)

Uwk
    who has way more confidence in your architectural abilities than mine... ;->
    Robynous and Breanna like this.