logitech G15 keyboard

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-hieronymus, Sep 19, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Demlar Guest

Question for all the folks that have this. I have tendonitis in my left arm/wrist and if I don't use one of the ergonomic keyboards I start getting cramps/pains after a couple hours. Anyone else have similar issues but able to use this keyboard without any pain or problems? I'd love to pick one of these up, but the fact that it's not a split keyboard style for folks with tendonitis/carpel tunnel (sp?) is the reason I'm holding off just yet. Thoughts/comments please.
  2. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

It's a standard keyboard layout, so I don't imagine it's going to be too useful if you need the split keyboard for medical reasons. Maybe someone with experience on this knows more though.
  3. ARCHIVED-Corwinus Guest

Not only Act has a plugin but also :
    - Fraps if you want to monitor your fps for tuning and,
    - Ventrilo in a new beta version downloadable from their website, it is very useful because in the raid you can actually read who is talking instead of trying to figure out who's voice it is.
    This is the very best keyboard i have found so far (allows me to play my macros from the Gxx keys which is a big help in raids, for a clumsy cat like me).
    my 2 coppers
    Corwin
  4. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

With Vent, just the person speakings name pops up?? That would be nice (I use a second PC for vent right now)
  5. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

I'm in the same boat, and I havent' seen an ergonomic version of the G15 yet... but I haven't really been looking, either. I have a hard time justifying that kind of cost for a piece of what's essentially disposable hardware. But all those features sound really juicy...
  6. ARCHIVED-Cylmore Guest

OK, next question from the informationally challenged: I can't seem to find out how to download the ACT parser to the G15 display. I've looked in the ACT forums, FAQ and the program itself. What am I missing? Any clue where to find it?

Thanks
  7. ARCHIVED-Cylmore Guest

Doh, nm. I swear that wasn't there yesterday!! :smileysurprised:
  8. ARCHIVED-Roark Guest

Once I went to an ergo keyboard it is hard going back. If I could find a good replacement to my Microsoft Wireless Natural set I would jump in a heartbeat. For now the only thing I can see coming down the road to replace it though is the Microsoft 8000.

http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/14/microsoft_8000_keyboard/

If anyone knows of another good ergo wireless keyboard please share.
  9. ARCHIVED-Jayad Guest

You have to install the G15 software first. That makes the LCD display usable by windows apps. Then you have to enable it in ACT. I also had to turn off the other information in the G15 drivers because the ACT info would only stay up for half a second before the clock or system CPU usage popped up.
    It's kinda cool. I think it needs to be improved a bit. So far the best use has been seeing total raid DPS to know when we're slacking.
  10. ARCHIVED-Sannavekk Guest

I have to admit for EQ2 I don't use the macros THAT much. Basically nothing combat related. Just a few. None of them afk macros of course
    I have a buff offensive..< a buff defensive (great after you die..which shouldn't happen anyway ..should it? :p )
    One that opens ACT, logs me onto teamspeak, one that pastes the ACT parse into my chat channel do it's an easy one key press...
    I love the ACT LCD window and the teamspeak LCD display though I prefer Ventrillo which I haven't seen an app for.
    Of course the backlit keys are very very nice.
    I would LOVE if someone would create something that keeps track of my poison charges in the lcd window MAN I HATE When all of a sudden i wonder why i am not doing great dps and it's because my poisions expired and I didn't even notice. That's the killer app :)

Message Edited by Sannavekk on 09-22-2006 04:14 PM
  11. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

I don't understand - you can quickly see whether you have poisons up or not right on your screen, but you want it on the LCD window on your keyboard instead? I guess I don't see why you'd notice on your keyboard of all places, if you're not catching it on the screen in front of you... :p
  12. ARCHIVED-Ibixat Guest

Yes you can tell when a poison is up.

Can you tell me at a glance how many charges are left, should I reapply it before this fight or wait till after, that requires a mouse over of the maintained effect. I'm referring more to the fights where you start the fight and after the first proc, your poison drops and at that point I'm not really watching the maintained list to notice that it has dropped and it slips by. Also I'm not compulsive enough to mouse over the maintained before every fight to see if I have charges left on the current dose. I don't see why you think having an actual count of charges available on a display, be it the maintained (preferred) OR on the lcd on the keyboard (what I was suggesting as a possibility), would be a bad thing, maybe usefull info displayed in an easy to see format is against your moral code or something.
  13. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

LOL, who crapped in your Corn Flakes, buddy?
    I just asked how that presentation would differ. I actually agree that it'd be nice to have a clearer indication of when you're about to lose your poison application (maybe have the icon blink or something), but I'd rather have it in the game itself.
  14. ARCHIVED-Jer_ Guest

I remember when pathfinding lasted 15 minutes, we didn't know how many charges of poison we had left and we liked it!!! Well not really… but after a while I just got used to keeping an eye on my maintained icons.

I like my G15…
  15. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

LOL... and we walked to school uphill, n the the snow, both ways! And we LOVED it! :p
  16. ARCHIVED-Prandtl Guest

Snow? You had snow?
    luxury
    We had to climb through molten lava with our father on our back whipping us with a strand of barb wire
  17. ARCHIVED-Ibixat Guest

I buy my cornflakes pre-defecated, makes life easier....

Sorry if I sounded harsh but come on, you kinda started it =)

Anywhoo, if they gave coercers a warning that their charm was about to break how about giving us a visual clue that an applied poison is about to drop, like some subtle tinting of our view (fade a little green or red, soething we'd notice, hell make the [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] maintained icon flash to solid red and back when it's under 10% charges remaining that would be good I think.
  18. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

How about just a full count on the icon :)

Hmm lemme explain for the sane: you have the poison icon, and on top of that would be the number of doses left. A big 99 or 98 or 2 or whatever
  19. ARCHIVED-Corwinus Guest

Yes just the person names that is speaking pops up
  20. ARCHIVED-Corwinus Guest

Well,
    for my carpal tunnel problem i use products from Imak (imakproducts.com), but not the rigid ones, I like very much the Ergobeads and the soft cotton material of the pillows for the writs support, on top of that they are washables and can be put in the freezer for a 15mn cooling effect (after that you have to recast lol - so i bought 2).
    G15 and ergobeads makes my life easier.
    My 2 coppers
    Corwin