lockboxes.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Paddyo, Jul 8, 2013.

1. suka Well-Known Member

in LOTRO the keys also drop. Now what would be awesome is if we could buy random lootboxes to put in dungeon maker that would continuously regenerate loot- preferably potions or house items. There could be a set type of loot, but it should generate loot for each person who runs through it. I would gladly pay dungeon marks or sc for that.
  2. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

I have to say in WoW when I'd see a treasure chest stuck behind a huge group of mobs or a Named, I'd work that much harder to get to it. Even if it only had some cloth, a potion and a bit of coin - I just really liked those.

If I killed all the mobs and/or the Named and had to have an SC key to open it, that would make me never want to try very hard at all for those, and it would cheapen the experience a lot.
  3. Cyliena Well-Known Member

This, exactly. Every game does not need lockboxes.
    Finora and Sambril like this.
  4. Lempo Well-Known Member

How is Paddyofurniture in any way a naming violation?
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  5. Lempo Well-Known Member

I'd like something like this.
    I'd like these items to have a new type of scrying stone that you have to collect via killing or using the destroy ability, make them tradable but place them in the currency tab.
    Then place scrying locations throughout all zones and give the ability to spawn mobs of all tiers, even epic x4's the mobs would only remain available for a certain duration the despawn. If the timer runs out mid pull the mob would despawn on a wipe.
  6. Vordreth Member

Scrying in the old world zones is a cool, and sadly completely abandoned gameplay element that I'd really like to see return as well, but I have a feeling that if they did add a new type of stone, they would cost 100sc a pop just like the goblin tickets.
  7. Skwor Active Member

They should just re-introduce scrying and this time link it collection sets. Make scrying give a better chance for a rare collection item or entirely new collection sets.

After all isn't that what scrying is?
  8. Sambril Well-Known Member

No, no, no, 1000 times no. Lockboxes are horrible. One of the major reasons I no longer play STO despite having a lifetime sub. If loot drops I should not have to pay for it. If you want the gamble mechanic it is there with Goblin Games and LON, this game does not need lockboxes.
  9. Paddyo Member

I like the scrying stones idea. I don't care if lockboxes require purchased keys or not, I just like the idea of some random stuff popping up around that people could go after to make things exciting again. And NOT the way ethereals dropped prior to COE; I killed tens of thousands of mobs and never saw one. I understand why they were as rare as they were...I would like to see something that is not that rare but generates a little excitement when you see it drop.

I don't remember the particulars of the naming policy in EQ1 (this was 2002 or so) but something in the policy excluded making names that created phrases (which nowadays seems to be a naming staple.) I was never sure if it just caught a GMs eye at some point or if someone reported it, I simply changed my name to Paddyo Whosyerdaddio.

I used Fer'Niture when I started playing EQ2. It just wasn't the same, though...
  10. Lempo Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a 10% drop rate on overland mobs and maybe a 20% drop rate in instances / raid chests, the things should be plentiful but since the reward possibilities I think it should have the potential of giving they shouldn't be purchasable from a regular vendor... but maybe purchase a small quantity from a vendor that pops from an overland ring event distressed merchant...

Ah I get it just like the policy on VMWare instead of going after cheaters and perma banning accounts over the all mighty dollar they punish legit players much like they did with your name instead of dealing with those that make hidden vulgar names accordingly.

At least they are consistent. :rolleyes:
  11. Finora Well-Known Member

I personally HATE the lockboxes they put in Vanguard and I'd be massively disappointed if EQ2 went that route as well.

I like the idea of reintroducing scrying & putting it in more zones. It was a great way to pass the time for a while there. If they added collections (like the nice new collections from the fishing nodes in Cobalt Scar), that would make them quite popular I'm sure. Keep the random mob spawnings, throw in some random loots.
    Just don't make things drop in game that give random loot (quite possibly utter junk) that require a SC purchased item to open to even see if it's worthwhile.
    Cyliena and Arielle Nightshade like this.