LifeBurn still Viable?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Grizzwall, Aug 10, 2023.

1. Grizzwall Member

I have been noticing that my lifeburn when I activate it in groups my dps drops off rather then increases. Am I doing something wrong or is Lifeburn no longer viable?

Grizz
  2. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

Vaguely remember that it may not crit, so therefore is useless on live. Dunno about TLE.
  3. Clintsat Well-Known Member

I screwed around with it on Wednesday night and it was around 1T dps (Tested on t5 sanum for what it's worth) with the celestial epic hearts used by most of the raid at once.... That's not nothing but it's really small for something that requires a lot of coordination to manage.
  4. Amiiss Member

The beta notes from the 15th says it will be increasing in damage over level 126, but in its current state its not very good. If crit bonus or crit bonus overcap do not affect the spell its never going to spike up for big damage.

The epic spell for necros should have been a dps spell. The fact that it was made into elevated hearts to give others power when we have lich and do not need it was crap. A spell that needs to be cast so you can then cast another spell to create these hearts that then need to be cast in coordination with enough of your group or raid members to do something sounds like an overly complicated heroic opportunity. As it stands now necros need to rely directly on others to cast an item that will lower their own dps, and may or may not be needed at the time they are casting it, to in turn give the necromancer a small window to cast their class defining spell? (other than pets),

The epic 2 spell reaper got turned into a buff that may or may not upgrade like other peoples pets that continue to level with them. The epic 3 is mainly to give other people power, like a coercer or illy???

Is lifeburn viable?? in its current state no.

In the updated version moving forward where you have to
    cast epic 3 spell
    cast your raid heart spell or individual heart spell if you are in combat
    cast hearts in coordination with others
    cast lifeburn

I seriously doubt it will be viable because, if it was tested it was most likely tested with a high increment on the spell so that it would not do too much during a raid. Raids are mostly like herding cats, so good luck ever seeing high increments of the spell needed to do any real damage if if was even coded to do any real damage.
  5. Clintsat Well-Known Member

So, it's not in the notes but I can confirm that Lifeburn was updated and the non-hp component does now crit. It was around 3% of my parse in heroics. You only need about 6 people in group/raid to use their hearts to get the maximum stack bonus to improve lifeburn and the hearts will provide fervor OC with the new epic 3 giving some pre-fight incentive at least...

I'd love the damage to be a little bit higher (or the cast time lower) given the health requirement, but it's at least now a viable spell and will be in my rotation going forward. It would be neat if the cast time was lowered by the number of hearts used...
  6. Amiiss Member

I guess it would be even more neat if it was a single spell we could just cast. Instead of a spell that needs 3 spell casts 6 people to coordinate to use an item created by one of the spell casts, and a healer to maintain your health during the last spell cast.

Does any other class have a spell as convoluted to get the maximum benefits out of as this? Any other class have anything even close to these hoops to jump through? I mean can we add attack from stealth, or rear attack to make it even more difficult?
  7. Amiiss Member

8. Clintsat Well-Known Member

Yeah, I tested after the 15th and the crit component didn't work. It does now - which is great!

Like I said, it would be great if it did a bit more damage but at least it shows up on the parse now. You don't 'have' to have hearts, etc to make it decent...but I imagine it will help. The FOC buff on them should keep people casting them in raid I think...