Life as a Ranger, post-revamp

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Jay42, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

I find the difficulty of taking down yellow and orange mobs is about the same as it was pre-LU13. The tactics are different (took a while to figure them out) but the outcome is about the same. I was initially upset that my adept 3 honed reflexes dropped from 36% haste to 27% but I found that I had many more useful skills. Snares now work! I can get off 3 bow shots while standing still on the initial pull. Before, I was usually able to get off three shots while back-peddeling. Plus, the CAs don't seem to get parried quite so much.

I haven't done any parsing, but it sure seems like my damage is much better post LU13 when I have my offensive stance on. I've had enough success that I haven't tried the defensive stance yet. I'm still dropping yellow casters before they lay a hand on me. The tank NPCs take a little longer to drop, but they eventually drop.

I said previously that I would wait to give my opinion on the combat changes until after the change. Well... All the change did for me was make me have to learn to play my ranger again. I'm a quick study though. In the long run, I think I'm going to like the changes. I will miss being able to fire off the bow on the run, but after a couple weeks I'll probably forget that I was ever able to do it in the first place.

I did throw a fit once. When I mentored a guildy, I lost my poison charges! I had to re-apply my poisons and I only use legendary poisons. I was mentoring someone only one level below me and was in the user range of the poison. I don't know if this was happeneing before the LU, but surely it has to be a bug.
  2. ARCHIVED-AmericanPsycho Guest

In Beta I had my doubts when things were all still up in the air. I didnt know how I was going to like it once it all went live, and I dont think I was too sure what was going to go live the way things seemed like they were changing all the time. But, I have to say right now, as a level 46 Ranger, I'm way more happy with my character than I was before the revamp.

I've been all over Norrath since the update, fighting things I used to fight all the time, as well as spending probably way too much time out in th DoF zones, but then again alotta people are. First trip I took was back out to Everfrost and Lavastorm to try out fighting things I was used to fighting. Anything in my range, from a couple levels below me to a couple above me is what I usually go after. And I tell ya, the sheer speed that things went down compared to what I was used to is amazing. Combos of snaring bow arts and snares to keep the distance just off a pull while pumping arrows into something with Arrow Frenzy up and a good poison usually leaves me with a dead mob before it gets into melee range. That I love, and thats what I always wanted it to be like. But, thats with single solo mobs.

The most fun I have, and I know this isnt true for everyone so I might be crazy, is those groups of 3 mobs in an encounter. I know alot of people are having a hard time with this, but I live for it right now. I been practicing this with different tactics out in the Sinking Sands, and with mobs I'm more familiar with in EF and places like that, just to see how I can maximize the damage I put out and minimize the damage I take. For one, Hidden Fire at Master 2 is just sick. More often than not, if that hits for 1500+ right after you have an Arrow Frenzy proc, a poison proc, and I usually have ranged attack clicked on so theres still more of a chance of all that nice proc damage spam going off with maybe a gleaming strike thrown in for good measure, and the first mob of the group is down before they break and run at me. I've been quick enough to pick up the second target and hit it with a leg shot, auto range attack backing up and using the Crippling Arrow line (can be used on the move) usually put out enough damage to get it in the low orange to red, or dead before whatevers left in the group gets on me. Once they close (usually stick to 2 or 3 mob groups) whatevers left is put down quick using cheap shot and a series of stealth positonals as fast as possible, maybe back pedalling and clicking the bow off hoping for an Arrow Frenzy proc for the heck of it. Doing this, I've been having a blast fighting singles and groups of mobs since the update. Even running through Harclave on very difficult isnt any harder than it was before the update.

It sounds like alot, seems more complicated than it was before maybe, but it all happens so fast. We're definitely a damage class now no doubt about it, at least I feel that way. I'm really happy with how fast I'm able to put down things I'm fighting. But, and there is a but here....

I know this isnt doable for everyone. I have alot of buds that have low level scouts/rangers that absolutely can't kill the things they need to kill without getting slapped around really hard if not getting killed. I'm happy with my ranger at 46, but theres serious problems on the road getting there. I dont know if things were just plain overlooked at the lower levels or what, but you shouldnt have to get to the point I'm at now to be able to do what you're supposed to do and do it well. Lotta people are having a seriously hard time with it and something needs to be done at those levels. I was playing around with my level 22 assassin earlier and it just blows my mind how hard things are. Sure we come into our own later on, but no ones gonna be getting there if they quit out of frustration. I dont know what it takes to be able to fight at that level and not just get by by the skin of my teeth. My ranger has all pristine augmented leather, imbued cedar long an short bows, and decent melee weapons. The best I can get ahold of in my assassins range....does not help him at all. He may as well be fighting naked. Somethings gotta be done, the game isnt all about 40+, and right now that seems to be the only part that works well for us. Sure fire way to drive off new players.

-- Vors 46 Ranger
    -- Everfrost

Message Edited by AmericanPsycho on 09-16-2005 09:03 PM
  3. ARCHIVED-Serventof Wrath Guest

My main is a lvl 39 Ranger.

I have 5 alts 3 above lvl 20 (zerker, illusionist, and templar) and 2 below 20 (15 sorc and 10 crusader). This is probably why my main is still sub 40 after playing for almost a year now.:) Across the board combat below lvl 30 is insanly hard. Before revamp I soloed the delving in the darkness with my lvl 21 temp, just tried it tonight after relearnig my toon and promply died 10 times before i gave up and had a guildie mentor me to get alittle revenge on those gnolls.

As a 39 Ranger life is not that bad. My kite is gone but I'm okay with that. My enemy mastery strikes require a flanking position now,..... I'm okay with that. My fast stealth is gone,...... I'm okay with that but wouldn't mind if it came back (please, please, please). The one thing that has stood out the most since the revamp is now I get to play my Ranger. Before I could just slip into kite mode if it got alittle hairy. Now I'm picking my bow shots, using my snares, living and dieing with cheap shot, actually useing my stealth attacks in solo combat (never did this after i learned to kite) and just generally mowing through stuff faster then a redneck on a john deer lawn tractor. Don't lose faith in the lower levels, they suck for all the classes now. Stick it out its worth it.

Okay wait timer on Harclave is up now, gotta go make 40 :)

Oolan Woodswraith
    Ranger of the 39th Hunt
    Najena

Message Edited by Serventof Wrath on 09-17-2005 02:48 AM
  4. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

I'm a newly dinged 20 ranger now and still having no trouble on any solo mobs up to yellow. I haven't tried an orange yet, mainly because the blues go down so easily that I'm leveling quite steadily and don't have to search out harder prey. I'll see i fI can round up some oranges tonight and report back.
  5. ARCHIVED-Quillian Feetfast Guest

I have gotten this exact same message! This changed with the Sept 14. patch. I was doing fine with it before the 14th. I have put in a /bug report about it. I have talked to other scout classes and Mage classes and their attacks are NOT positional! I hope it's a bug and not by design.
  6. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

I just noticed that last night myself fighting gnolls. My troubadour can still hit them from the front, though.
  7. ARCHIVED-VuDu Guest

Hey guys, I do not post here much but I'd like to throw a little into the mix.
    I personally like the post-revamp rangers 100% than pre. I drop mobs very quickly and use my bow in a more effective way... I almost forgot to throw on poisons now because I don't need them :/

The problem with people complaigning is that no one is willing to try it out.
  8. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

While it's not enough to prevent soloing, I have noticed there IS a difficulty jump when mobs reach level 20. Since I hit 22 I started going after blue 20s instead of teen level blues. I can still take them down, but a time or two I got into the yellow. They take much longer to take down than those only a level lower. Oh and these were solo one-arrow down blue mobs up near Windstalker Village in Ant.

Message Edited by TaleraRis on 09-18-2005 06:14 PM
  9. ARCHIVED-Despak Guest

Just a little movie clip of a solo fight at level 29 against a yellow Gnoll in Splitpaw. Small file as the fight took about 5 seconds.

Solo Fight
    Message Edited by Despak on 09-19-2005 07:37 AM
  10. ARCHIVED-Cronon Guest

Please... if you are having problems or having success, please post your current level and maybe the tactics you take to achieve or fail. It's hard to pinpoint specific problems for people without this information.

Also wanted to note that after some serious play this weekend, I've noticed that it is MUCH easier to draw agro from the tank. I have to be really careful now especially with using Ranged stance. I'm not sure if this is because our DPS going up (which it did) and/or taunts were nerfed. The Pally I team up with a lot lately is really good about keeping things off me, so I don't think it's his playing. However, he might still be confused about some Pally changes and not using all his tools. I will keep everyone updated as I learn more.

Edit: Added notes about taunting and agro draw.

Message Edited by Cronon on 09-19-2005 06:26 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-Aringill Guest

I would recommend using the Creature Sinister Strike first before the Pouncing Attack/Shadow Lunge combo because of the nice debuff that the Sinister Strike gives (around 300 debuff to piercing). This will make Shadow Lunge hit for a considerable amount more.

Normally I would load the mob up on all debuffs I had (dirty tricks line, wounding arrow, etc.) and then hit with cheap shot, Creature Strike, Pounce/Lunge. Last night I hit in the high 700s on both Creature Strike and Shadow Lunge. At level 33 thats some serious DPS. :smileyvery-happy:
  12. ARCHIVED-Ail Guest

Well life is good :)
    I am a ranger 51, with treasured/legendary armor/weapons and adept 1 skills ( so nothing exceptionall).
    With the changes that came with the patch I can hold my own very well either solo or in group.
    Watching aggro in group is a bit harder and you have to wait a little to use bow skills but it's not really a problem. What I do is start with all my melee skills, use evade and surveil and then back up and unleash the full damage of my bow. This way, even if I grab aggro the mob is usually around 10% hp and can be killed fast.
    Paladin seem to have a lot more problem than guardian to keep aggro from what I have seen. And I still can't use focus fire in group or I know I will grab aggro for sure. But I know that once I upgrade some detaunts to adept 3 or higher I should be fine and able to do so...
    Solo, nothing bellow ^^^ can stand against me.
    Soloing even con ^^ is hard and I can loose against specific mobs but anything bellow that is really easy.
    I can take 2 non arrow mobs provided I use my skills well .
    For tactics, against harder mobs it is better to stand at the limit of your bow range, start with culling of the herd, leg shot, tripple fire and sharp shot. By the time the last skill is unleashed the mob will be upon you in melee range. If you are fighting something really strong, start backpedalling after sharp shot and use debilitating arrow, storm of arrow, cast a snare and if you do it well you can get far away enough to stop, and redo another leg shot or sharp shot...
    Against easier mobs I have 3 differents way to start a fight depending what skills are up :
    - Hidden fire/leg shot/sharp shot
    - Tripple fire/sharp shot
    - Culling the herd/leg shot/tripple fire/sharp shot.
    So yes, I like those changes !
    PS : I use legendary poisons and I they make a huge difference....
  13. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Well done. This sums up exactly how I'm feeling about the situation facing rangers right now. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm hoping that by putting this information together in some useful, coherent, and organized discussion, it will help the Devs focus on where the problems lie. It will take some time, but I think we'll end up the better class - at ALL levels - because of it.