Leveling Tinkering

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Merriel, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Merriel Well-Known Member

What's the quickest way to level tinkering, since there do not appear to be any quests to help with this? Wish they would have added some sort of daily quest like they did for adorning...I would enjoy it so much more if they had. :D
  2. Sambril Well-Known Member

Just keep making items near your current skill level to maximize the chances of a skill up. There is no real need for a daily as you can skill up tinkering using common harvests.
    Feara likes this.
  3. Merriel Well-Known Member

Yeah but it's boooorrringg to make the same thing over and over again, lol. Of course, that's what I'd be doing with a quest too, but it just somehow seems easier, when the quest demands I make ten of one item, than me just choosing to craft over and over. I know it's just a state of mind, but it really does seem to make a difference...for me anyways. :D
  4. Ragna Well-Known Member

To speed up tinkering leveling, only do the 1st row then cancel, you'll get the item and a chance to skillup at the price of a few common mats.
    Charlice, TarnaX, Feara and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sambril Well-Known Member

Or use a simple station in a house/guild hall - they only make the first bar anyway, so you save a few clicks. That kind of minor things adds up when you are making 100s of items. :)
    TarnaX, Shmogre and Feara like this.
  6. Merriel Well-Known Member

Aha, thanks for the tip, guys! I'll just have to do that then. :)
  7. Lucus Well-Known Member

8. Avithax Well-Known Member

Inb4 rage at the empty guild harvest depot.
  9. Xianthia Well-Known Member

I lol'd. :D

With most crafters having ponies (some have multiples too) refilling a stock is easy and usually not an issue.
  10. Deveryn Well-Known Member

When most items call for no more than 5 of an item, it's not a problem. To blitz through tinkering would take a significant amount of harvest prep. One stack of mats is gone in about 20 combines and you haven't even gained that many skillups. Let's not forget most guilds are only worrying about the top tier of goods, so it's easy to drain all the metals in any of the lower tiers.
    Prrasha and Kraeref like this.
  11. Xianthia Well-Known Member

It definitely does take prior prep work to have an easy time leveling a tinkerer. Unless you have someone like me in your guild that check the tiers by quantify and make sure that things are at least at 10k for each item ;p That's definitely not for everyone as it is boring and tedious to get it done (once it's done, however, it's set up for whenever you level another tinkerer).

After leveling multiple tinkerers now I approach it by days. So new toon starts tinkering I set an amount of skill ups to get done each day (usually 50 or 75 - all depends on mood/drive to get it done). After a few days voila full tinkerer. I only like this now because I already have multiple maxed tinkerers so I don't have a need for a tinkerer. Otherwise I'd have to go all out to get one done.
  12. Prrasha Well-Known Member

Another option (though probably not a useful one for your first tinkering alt) is to wait for tinkerfest and mass-produce some of the quest items for the tinkerfest quests. They require smaller stacks of materials per combine, so you can stretch your lead and tin supplies a lot further.
    Deveryn likes this.
  13. Lenolian Active Member

If you can, spend some point in systematic conservation prestige AA. It will help you save some components too.
  14. Akina_Storms Active Member

I'd levelled tinkering by doing only the first recipe, boots, and using the simple station.
    because you got the same 25% flat chance to skill up, grey or red.
    and because the higher you get the more ressources you consume.
  15. Meirril Well-Known Member

Umm...this is misinformation. Tinkering is very similar to adorning on the way it skills up. Every combine you have a chance of getting a skill up. The chance is the same if you do 1 or 4 bars of completion. As long as you make an item you get a chance to improve the skill. That chance is based on the con of the item. If the item is white or harder you get the maximum rate of 50%. The chance to skill up might actually go down for red combines. there aren't a whole lot of chances to test this area since the only time you'd have red recipes is when you get them from holiday events and your an unskilled tinkerer. Domino said specifically that the 50% rate was for white and yellow recipes. There is a sliding scale as the combines turn blue and green {I believe it is actually based on the points that separate it from your max tinkering skill. (5+skillx5)} and the final bottom out for the skill up chance is 20% when the recipe is grey. No matter how low you get the chance never gets worse than 20%.
  16. Akina_Storms Active Member

so sad...
    I've give up doing withe recipe to level up tinkering, cause it often takes 5 to 15 tries to skill up...
    And it also need 1 to 6/7 tries to levelup on the boot recipe to skill up.

so, taking into account the ressources needed, the fuel cost, and the time, it's far more efficient to level on the boot than following the white road.
  17. alQamar Active Member

Solid reading comprehension and math.
  18. Akina_Storms Active Member

did you understand the theory behind gaussian distribution?
    I don't think so.
  19. Meirril Well-Known Member

If your following the max con recipe route (which is generally yellow and barely white recipes) the odds against you making 3 combines without a skill up are very good. The odds against making 5 combines without a skill up are astronomical. Over a distribution of 10 skill ups your very likely to be at 20 combines, with a variance of +/-3.

With your method your talking 50 combines with a variance of +/-10 for 10 skill ups. That is at least double the amount of time crafting. Worse, it also means your going to take more time gathering materials.

Please note, I didn't say harvesting. I said gathering materials. Most people (especially anyone serious about doing tinkering since there are only 2 tinkered items that can't be used by non-tinkerers) that are going to level tinkering belong to a guild. Guild depots collect an amazing amount of higher tier loams because people are looking for those metals. They don't acquire huge sums of tier 1 loam because hardly anyone bothers crafting tier 1. It is so easy to outgrow those first 10 levels that you honestly don't even feel the need for gear to do it.

Also you can buy loam from the broker if your guild depot is low. Price loam, leaded loam (tier 1) is going to be the most expensive and probably have the smallest supply. Why? Because other than tinkering there is no reason to spend a lot of time harvesting tier 1. Everything else tier 1 sells for peanuts because you need so little and it is so available. Even tier 2 loam is in short supply. Honestly you want to move up tiers fast so you aren't over-impacting your supply in any one tier.

Or you could harvest it all yourself. That sounds like an awful idea. You could spend a little time adventuring and make enough to buy the materials faster if you didn't stick to just one tier. If you stick to a single tier, you'll buy out all the cheap materials on the broker and be stuck paying higher costs or doing all your harvesting yourself.

Now if your only planning on doing a few combines a week, then yes between harvest ponies, goblins and guild amenities you can do tier 1 or tier 2 tinkering faster than higher tier grey recipes. And if your planning this you don't need any of the information in this thread. People that ask for this sort of information want to do it quickly.

As for fuel costs, honestly they are negligible. You'll recoup the fuel cost when you sell off the tinkered items to the vendor. The only real costs are going to be what you spend on resources, and most importantly time wasted. My time is very valuable, I want efficiency not more combines.