Level limit on zones?

Discussion in 'Zones and Population' started by ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace Guest

I'd like to see an upper level limit on zones. It seems now that so many zones are filled with toons way over the level with a token toon of the right level in tow so they can farm masters, the legitimate groups who have to fight their way through are constantly losing out. High level toons have DoF as their playground, leave old world for the rest of us.

I think either toons way above the right level can only enter solo and remain solo (invite to grp is greyed) throughout or an upper level limit imposed. Its really frustrating and damaging the game at the moment. Its also a shame that so many interesting and creative items are being farmed and slapped on brokers for prices that nobody of the right level can possibly afford unless they have a higher lvl toon.
  2. ARCHIVED-Semma Guest

Upper level characters do quests, need to harvest from all tiers and mentor to play with friends or help people.
    If you are being pestered by an upper level charcter behaving badly by monopolizing an area, farming, training, etc - that is improper gameplay and you should use /petition to get a GM involved. If you have text in your chat window from the person displaying bad play tactics, you should scroll to display that area of text and type /report <playername> in the window to send that in also (let them know you did that in your petition so they have something to look at)
  3. ARCHIVED-M0rticia Guest

My level 60 character spent a lot of time in ROV lately because I was mentoring and helping a friend get some xp and get some quests done.

I have been to EF lately to finish some quests I never got around to doing before. Yes, the entire zone was grey but I am a quest addict and I wanted to get the quests finished.

I frequently harvest in RV. This entire zone is grey too but I currently tradeskill using harvested items from that tier. I refuse to pay insane broker prices for ingredients so I always harvest my own. Harvesting my own items also let's me pass those savings on to people that may want to buy my finished items on the broker.

And while doing all of that, I never harassed anyone, stole their mobs, stole their harvest nodes, etc.

So there are a few reasons why zones should not have a cap on them.

If someone is bothering you in-game, report them.
  4. ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace Guest

I dont mind mentoring, thats why the system is there to help people. Its the whole idea of a low level player aggroing then having a high level character kill the mob so they get loot and have no chance of risk. They then regroup and grey everything so they can move with ease through any area whilst the 6 group of the right level have to fight their way through to the decent mobs that have already been stolen by the hi/low farmer. This can be 2-boxed so easily that there is zero risk for great reward. Entirely against SOE's mission statement.

Its just an intolerable situation and is causing immense bad feeling to players in the improved loot zones. Far from improving the social interaction the removal of encounter locking was supposed to do, its making people more and more angry the way its exploited by farmers.
  5. ARCHIVED-Luhai Guest

I don't like this idea at all.

just some examples where it wouldnt work at all: Darathar, zalak and Arch Lich Udalan. ;)

and on the other hand: why should ALL high level be banned from low tier zones just because of some people?

i like riding through Antonica or the thundering steppes from time to time. and being locked out of these zones would be one of the worst ideas ever.
  6. ARCHIVED-Yax Guest

This was one of the "features" that they tossed around before release and thankfully decided against. It's a stupid and unnecessary restriction. Besides restricting people from doing quests, most lower level zones also have higher level zones accessed through them and it would definitely go to far to require people to mentor down every time they want to pass a lower level zone.
  7. ARCHIVED-Semma Guest

Its the whole idea of a low level player aggroing then having a high level character kill the mob so they get loot and have no chance of risk.

Agreed! This is an exploit, plain and simple. The powers that be need to know about the loophole they left in Trivial Loot Code when they removed encounter locking and should plug it.

Personally I'd like to see them change mob encounters so that if a mob has taken any damage from a player that would see it as grey, that mob's trivial loot code kicks in and it won't drop a chest for anyone until after it resets / full heals. There's also the issue of elder players standing ungrouped powerlevelling little ones and letting them take names they otherwise wouldn't be able to by by healing them as they battle - is that truly in the spirit of the game or yet another exploit opened by the removing of enforced locked enounters?

Relatedly, to prevent griefing, please make it so that "Locked Encounters" is the default setting for new characters. I play on a friendly and small server yet even there my little alt has had much higher players zoom up, zap the Lightbringer Wisp and take the drop before I realized that I had to re-set the setting to Locked Encounters. If I'd been a new player and didn't already know how to fix the issue for myself I would have been fairly frustrated with the game.

The way to fix this exploit is to fiddle with encounter locking and mob drop since that's what's caused it. There are too many fuilly legitimate reasons for people to be in all tiers to add rather restrictive rules about that. I'm a T6 carpenter but furniture is desirable for appearance and item not by tier so you'll see me in my 50s harvesting all tiers to keep up my ability to make things T1 through T6. Often I'm comopletely alone in zone at the times I play - locking me out of that would evict me from the game.
    Message Edited by Semma on 12-16-2005 08:20 AM
  8. ARCHIVED-bmcdsm Guest

Well I would not go so far as to say it is an exploit. It is pretty much the same as PLing in eq1. In most cases the low level person had to do at least 51% of the damage, but a priest could allways heal out of group. But in the case of druids helping, you only needed to do one point of damage and let the DS do all the rest. So this tactic has been around in EQ in some form or another for a very long time.
  9. ARCHIVED-Semma Guest

Well I would not go so far as to say it is an exploit. It is pretty much the same as PLing in eq1. In most cases the low level person had to do at least 51% of the damage, but a priest could allways heal out of group. But in the case of druids helping, you only needed to do one point of damage and let the DS do all the rest. So this tactic has been around in EQ in some form or another for a very long time.

That's true for normal blue EQ1 servers as far as XP gain was the issue. Where the exploit comes in is that EQ2 uses Trivial Loot Code to prevent higher levels from gaining chest drops off grey mobs.

The exploit here is that high levels in a greyed out dungeon do not mentor - they just drag low level along safely through the greys then disband and let the low level engage the named mob that he has no chance of finishing off. High level then kills the mob which is grey to him and because the low level engaged it the chest drops. With Stormhold and other areas now dropping loads of Masters off names, proper groups of persons of appropriate age for those masters should be the ones able to hunt those names. Instead, duos of 1 lower and 1 upper can just farm masters all day risk-free. This is not "as intended" in EQ2.
  10. ARCHIVED-Jai1 Guest

It seems like an exploit. Dont see why grey mobs should drop loot for people.
  11. ARCHIVED-bcc123000 Guest

wait a sec...

so if a low level groups with a high level, and they engage a mob... even if the mob is grey to the higher level, simply because the low level player is also engaged, then that mob will drop its chest?

For example,

Level 35 groups with level 60
    Enter Nektropos
    Fights Lord Everling (even con to level 35, but grey to level 60)
    Everling still drops his chest?

This can't be right... if it is, hopefully it gets fixed...

Personally, I liked when encounters locked, no PL'ing or anything like this was possible..

grrr
  12. ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace Guest

Maybe level limits wont work but something needs to be done. This is quite clearly an exploit of a well intended change which means the right treasure is going to the wrong people and for little to no risk.
  13. ARCHIVED-carlspackler Guest

Lock the named mobs, just like the epics. Problem solved.
  14. ARCHIVED-Eirgorn Guest

It doesnt work that way, but close.

Now since you encounters dont automatically lock (except raids) the level 60 and 35 guys can group and run to the nameds in ... oh say RE - then disband. Let the level 35 engage the named, then the level 60 can taunt it off of the low level mob (through actual taunts, heal, a big nuke - whatever) and kill it and the level 35 will still get a chest to drop.
  15. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

I beleive OP had something different in mind and let me tell what ....
    Imagine situation :) RE low lvl toon have "encounter set" = "unlocked" now pay attention.... Low lvl toon will pull some named mob and then high lvl toon outside of group will kill it.... Result? Mob will drop chest (master chest) but only low lvl toon will able open it. Which is no problem as long as those 2 work as tandem
  16. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

I suppose the question there becomes whether it'd be easier just to label them "epicX1" and simultaneously rule out many classes' ability to solo or duo them as low-greens/blues, and of how important it is to the game's integrity that they be able/unable to be exploited in this sort of manner. I bet if they auto-locked like epics, one of the first bugs would be that they inherit other epic traits like being proof vs CC effects. :)
  17. ARCHIVED-bcc123000 Guest

Imagine situation [IMG] RE low lvl toon have "encounter set" = "unlocked" now pay attention.... Low lvl toon will pull some named mob and then high lvl toon outside of group will kill it.... Result? Mob will drop chest (master chest) but only low lvl toon will able open it. Which is no problem as long as those 2 work as tandem

So does that mean the lower level still needs to do 51% damage to the mob, or simply be the "1st" to engage, then the higher lvl can kill easily, and since the lower lvl engaged first, they still get the chest drop?

So does the lower level need to do any damage at all? or simply be the first to engage?

Thanks
  18. ARCHIVED-TaleraRis Guest

Be the first to engage. They need to make it so the first person also has to do 51% of the damage, IMO.
  19. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Lol no :) just engage :) .....
    Did same things but in different enviroment .... Sha'ir Ring in MajDul - even have lockout timer. But you can go around it if you use every time different person from different group - obviously you wont get exp but haha chest will drop always
    In other words
    If low lvl char pull the mob and high lvl toon kill it outright - chest WILL drops no matter what low lvl toon will get exp only if he/she did 51%+ damage.... but if objective was get a chest - lol who care's about exp?
  20. ARCHIVED-Khurghan Guest

This was brought-up during the DoF beta and seemed to be a non-issue, it can only be assumed that this is therefore working as intended.