Let's pretend I don't know what I'm doing

Discussion in 'Voice Chat Support' started by ARCHIVED-mook85az, Jul 31, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-mook85az Guest

So I bought a headset and want to use voice chat. It's got a green and a pink plug on it. But the green spot is already taken by my speakers. How can I set this up so that I can get voice in the headset and the rest of the noise in the game if only one can be plugged in at a time? Or do I just need to buy a different kind of headset?
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

The pink one goes in the one that is either pink or labeled with a microphone symbol.
  3. ARCHIVED-Justa Guest

You could probably get a splitter for you speakers so the sound would come out of the earpiece and the speakers if for some reason you wanted that. I may look into this very option so that I can turn off speakers at night so I don't disturb my neighbors.
  4. ARCHIVED-mook85az Guest

But I want the sound to be distinct in both places. I know this is possible but I don't know how. Are there USB headsets?
  5. ARCHIVED-wullailhuit Guest

Yes , you can buy USB headsets...

There is then an option under Windows sound settings 'Voice' , you can then specify that voice chat gets sent to the USB headset and your microphone comes from there too..

Logitech do a very nice USB headset.
  6. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

I realized that you where speaking of having speakers and headset jack to plug in as well as the mic one. Hopefully your sound card has enough jacks in the back to plug into. You will need to reference your owners manual or the website for that soundcard/motherboard to see which ones to plug into.

I apologize on my earlier error.
  7. ARCHIVED-TSR-TrevorG Guest

wullailhuit wrote:
    I personally use a Logitech Quickconnect cam for my mic and normal speakers, or I can pop in a headset on my speakers or I/O drive.
  8. ARCHIVED-Mendou Guest

I had this problem with my old PC where I had only one jack for either speakers or headphones. As someone mentioned above you can get a splitter or Y-connector to enable you to plug both in. I just had to turn the volume on one down all the way to hear on the other. They sort of cancelled each other out if that makes sense. Just make sure you get headphones with a long enough cord for whatever rigging you need to do.
  9. ARCHIVED-TSR-DanielH Guest

I would definately recommend the Logitech USB headset. I've used several headsets before and it was the best by far. The first set I had was like yours with the 2 plugs and I really didn't like it. My second set was the Logitech USB and it worked great. Eventually it broke, though, and I got a more expensive headset that I thought would be better. Now I have a headset that picks up all the useless ambient sound in my room and I wish I just bought another Logitech.

Surely I haven't tried every headset out there but the Logitech USB is great from a price/performance standpoint.