Let the botting begin...

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Noctew, Jan 15, 2015.

1. Noctew Active Member

Instead of being camped by regular players, names in the AoM zones are now being camped by conju-bots happily earthquaking away. I assume the correct course of action will be to report them to CS who will deal with them in an appropriate way?
  2. Afista_DG Well-Known Member

The names are now at random spawn locations, so chances are that these players are nuking a whole lot of nothing.

But yes, if you see players clearly casting spells on repeat or relying on pets/mercs to kills mobs while they are not at the keyboard, then please report them.
    Tierisch, Estred and Mizgamer62 like this.
  3. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

Unattended gameplay is against the EULA.
  4. Charlice Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that some players are stupid enough to do that. You can only kill them now every two hours, random location, and, it's a GAME.
    Report them, hope they get banned, wish them well for a speedy recovery.
    Tierisch, Gaealiege and Mizgamer62 like this.
  5. Ynnek Well-Known Member

I believe the most appropriate response is "Well, duh!".

There's a simple risk/reward balance. Potential Risk, minimal. Potential Reward - Blue Gems at 25 Fherrin a pop.

The two hour lock, and the non-aggro change, would do little to solve the problem, we knew that in advance. At most, it would make the AFK campers make an adjustment or two. Spamming blue aoe's is one possible approach, though it certainly lacks subtlety. There are other simple approaches that are a hair less obvious (/target named by name, and a long range red spell)

I have no idea how the multiple spawn points will play out, since I don't know how far apart they are. Presumably they're not all within a 50m radius, cause that wouldn't help. But assuming the mobs are hotly hunted, just standing on one spot, and waiting for it to spawn into you (which it will eventually do if others are killing it for Gems/Quests), might still work for folks - especially if number of spawn point * spawn time is less than 2 hours...
  6. Skitterfast Well-Known Member

Take someone like me, who can only play 2-3 hours per day.

Now have them spend the other 21-22 hours AFK farming. Even with a 2 hour lockout all you do is reduce their effectiveness.

Blue AoE's are hideously obvious, and should be easy to report. Characters using a target command, much more likely to go unnoticed.

At least with a 2 hour lockout, other players have a chance.
  7. Atan Well-Known Member

If this really happened consistently and regularly, we wouldn't have the problem. But you can report someone on Monday, again on Wednesday, and they're still doing it on Friday.
  8. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

I love it when botters report someone else for encroaching on their territory and then get themselves banned :)
  9. Atan Well-Known Member

Seems there is youtube built right into the game
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  10. Derfel Active Member

We've definitely reached the point of absurdity. The 2 hour rule didn't discourage this even though one chest every 2 hours isn't worth the electricity of running your computer unless you're also doing other things. Now the names spawn in multiple places as non aggro eliminating the "leave the room and wait for battle sounds from the merc" tactic and a guaranteed encounter where you plant yourself, but people are still setting up static camps. I guess it's become a sort of political statement born out of sheer bloody mindedness at this stage.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  11. Livejazz Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think that if people want to mindlessly AOE-bomb one spot all day long, hoping to eventually catch a boss with an exquisite chest, then it's their time they're wasting & their account their risking.

I'm about certain there are much better ways to hunt named mobs, but hey, some people are just too lazy.
    Charlice and Wirewhisker like this.
  12. ingenius Member

the whole quest for overland names sounds annoying honestly especially of it's a daily thing. i understand soe wanting to shake it up but this is what you get for wanting overland names to matter as i much prefer either weak barely above quest loot names or heroic 4/6 man actual effort to kill nameds. these easy to solo camp gem dropping named are a bad idea.just in my opinion though.
  13. Prrasha Well-Known Member

It's a weekly thing, not a daily one.

The names themselves are a "minute-ly" or "second-ly" thing, though. Because they potentially have more loot than an entire 30-minute advanced-solo dungeon run and you can kill them in ~10 seconds, the effort/reward curve for them is so high that anyone who sees one kills it immediately, quest or no. (Thus the afk camping issues they're fighting.)
  14. Ynnek Well-Known Member

I have to assume that if people are still doing it, it's still a net positive to them. Anything that provides high benefit with minimal action is going to attract someone whose in the mood. And I imagine to someone who doesn't run many instances, the occasional free blue gem is exciting pure gold.
  15. Flyps New Member

I'm loving the changes, Devs, many thanks.
  16. Maec New Member

Make it like EQ1 where you could actually push against people and move them. I would have no problem moving AFK/botters into hostile territory or the water to drown them.
  17. Prrasha Well-Known Member

Replacing one very-targeted form of abuse with another very general form of (griefing) abuse is not a very well-considered plan.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  18. Skitterfast Well-Known Member

The named mobs should have been ^^ to begin with.

Make the named stronger than the mercs.

Seriously though, with the current changes people should be able to complete the weekly quests even with the die-hards still AFK camping.
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

Since they're part of a SOLO weekly, making them so they require an over-geared toon, a merc or a second player wouldn't fit.
  20. blueangle Member

The 2 hour timer is not enough of a time out. Just after the fix I took a character with track just to see how many named I could see vs how many characters where still camping. Named = 0 and characters champing = quite a few. This was in about 45 minutes of flying around. Since the fix not even bothered to pick up the weekly. Maybe a 4 hour time out would do the trick.