Launchpad - "unable to write file" for EverQuest2.exe and SequenceSound.dll

Discussion in 'Connection Support' started by ARCHIVED-Cyliena, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

My son launches EQ2 from a non-administrator account on Windows 7. Almost every patch day he is unable to patch the game because Launchpad tells him "unable to write file". My son's account has full ownership permissions of that folder and even on the administrator account it acts the same way.
    The two files it gets stuck on is EverQuest2.exe and SequenceSound.dll. The only way we have gotten the game to patch for him over the last few weeks is by deleting these two files and then retrying the patch.
    I don't know what the issue is and we can continue to do our workaround but I'm hoping someone can look into it as it is getting fairly annoying. If you need me to, I'll pay more attention when it inevitably happens again next Tuesday and get the full error message.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

This is happening again, exactly the same as before. There was a short span of about a month where it stopped doing it, but about a week or so ago it came back.
  3. ARCHIVED-Jrral Guest

What folder do you have the game installed in?
  4. ARCHIVED-TSR-JoshuaM Guest

I would highly recommend relocating your Everquest II folder to the C:\Users\Public path. This will eliminate any potential permission issues with the game files. You will also want to be sure that you are not already running an instance of Everquest II when you attempt to patch or, as the error states, it will not be able to write to the file if it's already open.
  5. ARCHIVED-Cyliena Guest

Jrral@Unrest wrote:
    C:\EverQuest II on his computer.

TSR-JoshuaM wrote:
    My husband runs EQ2 from D:\EverQuest II on his Win 7 computer and does not experience this issue. It also happens on the admin account on my son's computer, so I fail to see how the public folder would make a difference. There are never two instances of the game running on his computer; the only time he boots up the computer is to play EQ2 or Minecraft.

Anyways, the actual reason I unearthed this thread again was to mention that this issue was resolved for about 2 weeks in mid-June. Then it came back, and now EQ2Settings.exe is also being a problem file along with SequenceSound.dll and EverQuest2.exe. I suppose we can try relocating the folder, but I'm dubious it'll make one iota of difference.