Lag while raiding

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Caramell, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Caramell New Member

Can we please get the lagged looked at? The lag in raids has been getting worse and worse, making it almost unplayable. As is, I am seeing upward of 3-4sec lag on button pushes.
    Neiloch likes this.
  2. Caramell New Member

Really, nothing? Raiding The Psionists encounter, lag was so bad I was unable to get more than 2-3 combat arts off to build my fatal follow up (playing in stick figure mode with all settings turned down). The lag is just getting ridiculous.
  3. Amaitae Active Member

Yes really nothing, that's normal here. Also, don't expect updates or an acknowledgement. We don't get anything really on how/when/if this is taken care of. The game has been lagging since start of 2015 and it did not get better since. I know how this sounds but that's how it is and there is no sign of improvement in this regard. this problem became so bad that players stopped liking the game and left because 'it wasn't fun' anymore. Maybe you're next.
  4. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

It's a design problem with all the floating point math going on. It's not like they can buy a new router/server and make it go away, so it isn't going away any time soon.
  5. Gninja Developer

We are constantly working on raid lag. Its a persistent problem that we are always trying to make headway on. There is no magic bullet we can do to make it 100% go away but there are small things we can do over time to make it better and that is what we are working on. I'm not sure where you got this whole "floating point math" being the cause, as that is incorrect. It is mostly the spell system causing the majority of the lag and we are working on things to make that lessened.
    Alethus, Neiloch, Feldon and 5 others like this.
  6. Vunder Well-Known Member

He prolly got the floating point math idea from another popular MMO that had to do a serious stat crunch to reduce the amount of calculations the servers and client machines were doing to lessen the lag, which worked. This particular game blamed their issues on the floating point problems.
  7. rutro Well-Known Member

Are you hard wired or wireless? If wireless- you have to wait until the new Thomas Edison comes to invent a new standard for wireless...anyway...
  8. CoLD MeTaL Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was condensing what I've read (mostly from you) on here about complex algorithms with procs, buffs, crit bonus, potency, item buffs, item activations, spell casting timing, etc all down into a simple phrase "floating point math", since the numbers obviously aren't integers AND I have no idea what those calculations are since they aren't shared.

And basically using that wording to state that hardware/bandwidth isn't the problem. That it's basically too many and varied procs/effects for the system to not lag. Sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Expansions where the procs/effects were minimized had far less lag.
  9. Amaitae Active Member

No big deal. Some problems only become visible and recognizable as such when you take a look on lower layers of abstraction where you cannot directly recognize and express the game logic and its implementation how you described it in your higher level languages in a comprehensive way because the structures and instructions being used there are too primitive.

In order to investigate the lag problem you could conduct experiments and observe their outcome: set up a scenario in which lag occurs, conduct test runs where in each run whatever you might think of causes the lag gets modified. For a runtime analysis you need to identify and isolate the parts that matter in order to reduce too much noise and use instrumentation techniques to have a way to track all this down. Depending on how the server might be designed,you have to take into account different view angles on it. There are runtime hotspots (parts of your program being frequently used), high frequent resource contention by threads, cache misses, page faults, issues with synchronization, parameters set in the environment, parameters set by the operating system, a version change of a used third party library introducing slightly more complexity than an earlier version, and more. Fortunately an amplitude of helpful analysis tools exists for this task. But even then this takes a lot of time to conduct properly and thoroughly, time which you only have if you would not be busy with creating new content for the game that must go on.

I imagine legal obligations would prevent us from the opportunity to have a look at it, so it's sometimes temping to infer the root cause of problems which, without knowledge of the server internals, you can only describe with what you know from the terminology of the game logic / from the surface.
    Prissetta likes this.
  10. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I'm hoping the GU will have lots of new accessories without procs that are upgrades and side-grades to current stuff, and mostly upgrades if only to encourage people to drop the proc accessories.