Keep getting stuck in house

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Warfield, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Warfield New Member

Hello,

Both my wife and I keep getting stuck in our houses (we have two different computers and two different accounts). We can play the game fine when a GM removes us, but with regular consistency we keep getting stuck when we re-enter our houses. (note that sometimes we can enter and exit our houses just fine but then we always eventually get stuck).

We have two routers (one wired modem/router with one port and one 4-port wireless router). We are hardwired into the 4-port router. We are using Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Firewall (exceptions made for EQ2.exe) and regular Kaspersky Antivirus 2012.

All other internet applications work fine, and the game works fine other than house issue. When we are stuck in our house we can not chat (we can read it) and hotbar icons can be clicked but just stay greyed out and do no activate. The only slash commands that work are /petition and /exit.

We are using the streaming client, but the game has been fully downloaded now. We have reinstalled the game as well.

We have connected each computer directly to the modem and turned off all security software, but still can not get characters unstuck.

I have tried logging in to each computer with the stuck account and still can not get unstuck.

When a GM unsticks us, we can sometimes enter and exit the house multiple times and sometimes we are unable to exit at all. She has needed her characters unstuck four times, I have required it twice.

We are on the Crushbone server.
  2. Warfield New Member

I should also mention that this has been a problem before the expansion was released.
  3. Grunter New Member

I have returned to the game after a year and am having all sorts of problems including getting stuck in house and guild hall.
    Can't right click on anything at all to bring up choices, and casting spells just grays them out and they reset.
    Every time i zone i drop back to character select.
    Have the latest nvidia driver, anything else I should be trying?
  4. Warfield New Member

I have managed to resolve this issue, but the zone drop back to character selection screen thing still happens about once a week or so.

Here's what ultimately fixed the problem, we have two routers and on the Netgear modem / router I went into the basic DSL settings and under "Encapsulation" I changed it from PPPoA to PPPoE.

I was chatting with someone else a couple nights ago having the same problem. They were already set to PPPoA on their modem / router. They had been doing what SOE recommended (deleting the folders for assetcache, cache and logincache, as well as the files eq2_recent.ini, eq2_default.ini, eq2.ini and character specific files <ServerName>_<CharacterName>_EQ2_uisettings.ini, <StationName>_characters.ini. Then performing a file check through the launcher). What ultimately worked for them was a complete fresh install.

Keep in mind that prior to changing the Encapsulation setting on my modem, I had also allowed launchpad.exe and EQ2.exe through my Windows firewall, and changed from the streaming client to the full download client, (also did something with the second router that I won't go into here).
  5. Grunter New Member

Well a fresh install fixed being stuck in house etc.
    Still getting drop outs to character select on zoning. Sometimes on zoning into an instance (for example the Gibber vault to play one of the games) I cannot click on anything at all.
    I must say it is pretty disappointing coming back to the game and finding issues of these sorts still going on.
    Let's face it when you can play Guild Wars 2 for free with great graphics etc, plays flawlessly, it is pretty pathetic that an 8
    year old game does not just work.
    I love EQ2, have played it for longer than any other game, but to pay for an expansion, then have to pay a monthly fee and then find that I'm going to have to monkey around just getting the game to work at all is pretty galling.
  6. iwanttobeamole New Member

What was it that you did on the second router?
    I'm running a firewall (Astaro) and having exactly the same issues that you describe here. I connected using my android phone connect (USB tether) and was able to leave the room ok, so it's definitely my connection.
  7. Emissary Vex Active Member

Have you tried the command /house_exit
  8. crazyeyes321 Active Member

Thats not a house. You are living it up in hotel california.
  9. Arimor New Member

I've returned to EQ2 from a 5 year hiatus and can confirm I'm getting the exact same problems as stated above, very disappointed if I'm going to be honest.

I now have both my main and my alt stuck in my main's Hall in Bayle Court, Qeynos. I've raised a ticket with the support team to see if they can be of any help..will keep you posted..
  10. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You're probably running out of memory. How much RAM do you have? If you visit an empty version of your home or guild hall (the preview type of visit, available by right-clicking the door) do you have a problem? If not it's because your computer can't handle rendering all the objects in the furnished space.

If you have no problems in an unfurnished space, you might try turning your display settings to "Very High Performance" and see if that makes a difference in the house. If not, can you increase RAM?

Otherwise, the only answer is to remove stuff from the house. Pets and things with particle effects are particularly bad. A lot of moving objects can really slow you down.
    Juraiya and Rosyposy like this.
  11. Arimor New Member

Thank you for your response Sigrdrifa.

I have since resolved this issue, after spending almost an entire weekend getting to the root cause.

In a nutshell, my chars weren't getting "stuck" in their residences or in zones, it was just that there was a huge delay between my PC and the network server, we're talking 15 minutes, by which time the game would simply kick me out.

This essentially meant that you would notice the following symptoms:

1) No NPCs in zone
    2) Unable to interact with items
    3) If in a residence, unable to leave the house

However, when I took my alt into a zone off the Commonlands, after about 10 minutes or so, a couple of NPCs began to pop, slowly but surely.

This led me to think that this could actually be a connectivity issue, so I enabled the lag meter and saw that the PING replies were off the scale (54,000): https://bit.ly/2JLYQEj

I then decided to tether my PC to my iPhone which was on 4G, and saw that the game worked flawlessly.

I have since reconnected the PC to my Wi-Fi network, and after having gone through all the settings, I can now confirm that the root cause was that the "PPPoE Relay" setting was set to Disable, by default.

This has since been enabled and everything's working as it should: https://bit.ly/2vbVcQV

Daybreak Support have since got back to me stating that, "PPPoE is a setting mainly used for DSL connections, so I have you have a newer router, that would explain why it was disabled as it assumes you are connecting to an ethernet (cable) connection."

I hope this information might prove useful to others who might be experiencing similar issues.
    Juraiya, Sigrdrifa and Rosyposy like this.