Just returned after 7 years which Mage class is desired for raids?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Heretokill2, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Heretokill2 New Member

As title says, I just returned yesterday after 7 years and basically all my level 10 and under toons were deleted in some purge they had. All my armor, weapons and stuff was stored on low level mules but I was told after submitting ticket that since it was so long ago, they are un-restorable. I do have a level 21 Wizard but all her gear and stuff is missing as well so I'll basically just start over since the game has changed entirely in the 7 years.

I'm a PvE guy who loves raiding and being involved in a guild. I have always played mage type classes over the years. Played Mage and Warlock in WoW for 6 years and I just don't like melee classes too much.

I know that some classes here on EQ 2 are over saturated and there are too many of them. I'd like to pick something that is needed by raids of guilds or is more in demand for groups. I already figured from reading that it seems Conjurors are a dime a dozen and although they can be powerful characters, it might be difficult finding groups with one.
    I'm here to ask you current and veteran players what mage class do you honestly think I'd stand the best chance finding groups with? Is there a certain class that is "less" played or there aren't a lot of? I like the description of the Warlock but is that class overly represented right now?

I don't mind complicated toons or rotations, I love number crunching and maximizing my dps and skills. I heard Wizard is great at DPS right now but again might be too many to get a group reliably?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
  2. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Keep leveling your wizard. If you are as you saying good at maximizing charcters' dps you will do fine. Not so many good wizards out there. I wish there were more. Good luck!
  3. Arieste Well-Known Member

It has always been easiest to get groups on a chanter. While chanters do seem to get a bit of a shaft in AoM, i don't foresee that this will change them being most desired - if anything, even less players will play them and they'll be even harder to find. Chanters are also quite difficult to excel at in terms of DPSing well while providing ulility and coordinating temps casting with group. (They can also be easiest to play because no one really cares what they do as long as they show up, but that's up to you if you want to play that way.).

Sorcerors were great last expac and should remain so in AoM, so staying with your sorc will get you a good T1 dps, although by now everyone that's wanted an easymode high parsing class has switched to wizard.
  4. Frazzled New Member

Don't go Wizard, there are too many. Those of use who play a Wizard as a main and have since 2004, need all the easy mode Wizards to delete their toons and play Rangers.
    Jeeshman likes this.
  5. Balbasur Active Member

No. No. No. No. There is so many logical flaws in this post.

OP, just play what ever you enjoy :)
  6. Airvh Active Member

If your into the Mage type and you want to make sure your gonna be raiding then go for Illusionist or Coercer. They are always the most popular because of the support they provide to the other players. They are still very good DPS like all the other mage types. :)
  7. Kraeref Well-Known Member

With new expansion where other mages are given some utility guilds might not need chanters much anymore but rather bring more dps classes in. So I still suggest to go with a warlock/wizard option.
  8. Roadrash New Member

I love the best of mages are conjuror superior pet class very nice DPS from casting and pet damage is outstanding using the mage pet overall I rate it med/hard class to play a lot of timing to learn best to start out a necro to learn then change to a conjuror because I've seen good conjurors do well in AE groups and solo hard of the hardest mobs well clearly if you learn your class well you will excel with a Conjuror don't get me wrong I'm tell you of my own experience

Yours Truly
    The Rash
  9. Heretokill2 New Member

Hey thanks for the responses! Would a Warlock have a harder time soloing content at endgame than the Conjuror? I realize that the conjuror has pets to send in and distract/tank for him while he stands back and blasts away, but what about the other mage classes? I do enjoy farming once in a while for items and coin so I'd like a character that can do it all, but if that is not possible, then my main focus is still on PvE raiding. I can always level up a farming alt later on is my main is not as capable of farming the harder stuff or the places with the desired drops.

Again, thanks for all the advice, this community is so much better than WoW. People actually wanna help one another vs. just flaming away and acting all elitist. That's why I'm glad I returned to EQ over all the other choices out there. Many of you are old school gamers who still respect each other and I feel more at home here.