Just logged in after several years and all my names have an added w to their name

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Crispin, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Crispin New Member

And when I logged in on one of my characters I did not get to rename it. So for instance my name would now be Crispinw, which looks ridiculous. Is this really intended ? I get that my names have been lost due to server merges and that I have not logged in for many years.
  2. Porrum Member

Did you try typing /rename when logged into the character? Merges usually granted everyone a 1-time free rename if they had the letter appended. If that doesn't work, you can try opening a support ticket (/petition in game, or visit https://help.daybreakgames.com/)
  3. Svenone Well-Known Member

Characters that had an x or w added to the name should be eligible for a free name change. Try the /rename command, but make sure the new name you choose is the one you want because you only get one successful freebie (per character that needs a change).
  4. Crispin New Member

Great thank you, I'll try that!
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Btw, welcome back!
  6. Juraiya Well-Known Member

If you get a message that it didn't work - or if nothing happens at all - check to see if the name has already been taken. You can check by adding the name to your friends list; if it adds, then someone has already taken that name.

Sometimes a name won't be allowed due to copyright reasons, or if an NPC has an identical name. Most of the time you can't take a name because it belongs to a player, though.

And welcome back. :)
    Rosyposy likes this.
  7. ConcealFate Well-Known Member

When it's from a server merge they add a letter to the name in some cases because that name is already taken by someone on the current server, no?

Edit

Wups, didn't see that Jura already pointed this out
  8. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I believe the w's were added when they did the name cleanup, to free up names that hadn't logged in for ? years. (Just searched for the news on this and was unable to find it.)
    Juraiya likes this.
  9. Simparri Active Member

Even if a name is used by a NPC you can sometimes still get it. I named one of mine "Mugwump" ( a Froglock, sometimes when he jumps it's a draw to see if his mug hits the ground before his wump does) & later found a NPC with that name in Nek Forest near the bridge to CL:p.
    Juraiya and Rosyposy like this.
  10. Airvh Active Member

One other thing check at the server login screen. When you click on your character and it shows him standing there. On the right side there is the login but sometimes there are other options like changing facial features. Maybe it might have a rename option there for you?