Just hair!

Discussion in 'Signatures' started by ARCHIVED-wiire, Dec 27, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-wiire Guest

Yes, its been asked, yes I have gone to deviant art and searched 'hair tutorial' and yes I found good results! -edit- I would like to keep this post in the sig forum because sigs are where the character editing is.. the fan art section also has pencil drawing and just generic screenshots.. i get more help art-wise in the signature forum.. thanks!)

ANYWAY I'm wondering if anyone has links or anything saved that pertains to drawing hair (in a style that matches eq's graphics- not just solid color with an outline like some of the anime-ish art on deviant) AND that doesn't come up when you search http://search.deviantart.com/?secti...q=hair+tutorial
    From other websites, from friends, something on deviant that isn't labelled 'hair tutorial' and I can't find it?
    I got a graphics tablet! It ROCKS! I can go on and on... if you semi- artists ever stare at the sigs and art from players on these forums and go.. how the eff do they make such perfect lines and everything is so smooth and pretty!? While your mouse is twitching and your hand is aching.. THE SECRET IS A DRAWING PAD!

Anyway, I have only played around with it last night, looked at the hair I edited and went.. umm.. this looks worse than what I did by mouse (points at sig) and I know it has to be because I wasn't looking at any other art or how-tos like I did when I was focusing on my sig. I'm at work now, so I am just throwng this thread out there to just focus on HAIR. Tutorials for people with drawing tablets, without, anything.. long flowy hair, guy hair... ((me personally.. I'm looking for drawing pad tips focused on long flowy hair..))
    I am going to go back and edit this post with the best tutorials I find on deviant, and if anyone replies I can add those links or images to this post also.
    Thanks all and happy new year!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Tutorials that already exist made by sig artists are easy to find in the stickied thread up top*
    ---COLORING tips--- a little too fluffy and 'hairy' to be perfect for eq2's style- but still informative about the colors and hair strands http://abuze.deviantart.com/art/hai...torial-21467651
    ---Photoshop LAYERING/BLENDING tips--- Hair style and hair strands are very anime-ish so not that great for eq either. But great photoshop layer tips still. http://ramy.deviantart.com/art/Anim...rial-D-36095764
    ---OVERALL GOOD HAIR images--- Just a good image to stare at and scrutinize. Realistic(ish) none-anime http://liiga.deviantart.com/art/Hai...torial-46922701
    ---OVERALL GOOD HAIR tips--- I think this was one of the tutorials I scrutinized when I made my sig- but I had lost my link to it. Nice realistic hair, showing color and strand tips http://div.dyndns.org/EK/tutorial/updo/
    ---REALISTIC HAIR // BRUSH TIPS--- Awesome Step by step, even brush tips I never considered before http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...threadid=259468
  2. ARCHIVED-Sapphirius Guest

Auroz, I would love it if you described just how you did your hair in your current sig.
  3. ARCHIVED-Khellendrathas Guest

4. ARCHIVED-wiire Guest

Truthfully, my sig hair was a fluke. I lost all my documents a few months back so I don't have this sig saved step by step or even its layers.. just what was online.
    *I* am having issues matching my *own* work. It was just with my mouse, I believe I filled in all her hair with one color and then I drew free hand lines because I can't figure out the pen tool.. and just millions of strands of different colors, and also using the dodge and burn. I know I used smudge and blur, too. However, as I said, *I* am having issues matching this. I like the way it turned out how other sig makers' toons' hairs turn out- not a blurry mess- but not super defined strand by strand.. I couldnt do that last night with my pad, and the only way I did it with my sig was just going over and over and over it with random strands, random smudges.. etc.. just by accident.
    Last night, the hair I drew was just a mess of lines, it wasn't very flowy or 'soft' which baffles me because I don't know how I made flowy and soft with mouse drawn lines but can't with a pressure sensitive pen..
  5. ARCHIVED-K_Aramae Guest

I've had very little experience in drawing hair. All I've played with and came up with are:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

(Earliest to most recent.)

So, I'd like to chime in and help, but uh.. I can't. :/
  6. ARCHIVED-SapphireSniper Guest

Those are amazing Aramae.. Especially the last one! :) (not really sure of the name but it's beautiful!) :)
  7. ARCHIVED-Lunnagirl Guest

This is a quick example of how I approach hair for EQ2 models. If you'd like an indepth tutorial I'd be glad to give one.
    [IMG]
  8. ARCHIVED-K_Aramae Guest

9. ARCHIVED-Seagoat Guest

Yes please, Lunnagirl! I've always admired the hair you've done...gorgeous stuff. /jealous
  10. ARCHIVED-wiire Guest

Yay more replies, I remember seeing your guide in the magazine, I don't have it with me, and it was months ago but all I can remember is going 'huh!?' bc the hair bit seemed skipped over. I swear I remember all the details about the other image editing tips, and I could have sworn it was like "and then you draw hair!" And I just sat there going A. How do you draw such nice lines on a computer B. That was fast.. my little brain needs details, details, details!!! (I answered A with my tablet hehe... the links in this thread answered B.. but you still have some of the greatest image edits out there, Lunnagirl, so an in depth tutorial would ROCK!
  11. ARCHIVED-K_Aramae Guest

Auroz. Your sig scares me.
  12. ARCHIVED-Lunnagirl Guest

Auroz@Lucan DLere wrote:
    All of that could have been more in depth. But when the space is limited we tried to keep it fairly general. I have the tutorial started. I just grabbed a screenshot and started a new desktop for myself because ... well I never keep alot of WIP so for most of my stuff there's a final PSD file and a JPG and thats it. Anyway, I'm working on it, and I have lots of images for the in process stages. :)
  13. ARCHIVED-Megumiko01 Guest

First off, congratulations, Auroz, on getting your first tablet!!! I hope you enjoy it.

My first suggestion would be to make sure you have your sensitivity settings exactly where you want them. This can take some messing around to get right.

Second, that tutorial by Linda Berkquist is amazing, but then so is her work.

Third, Lunnagirl, I look forward to seeing your tutorial.

Finally, here's a quickie tutorial of my own.

First I sketch the general shape of the hair, like so:

[IMG]
    Second, I flood fill a layer below the sketch with a base color. Now, I forgot to make an image of that step but you will see the base color in the next step.

Third, I put in a bunch of lines of vary color on the same layer, leaving the lighter areas for highlights. Then I paint in near white and white strokes in those lighter areas. (You can see the base color layer in the unpainted part below.)

[IMG]
    Fourth, I use the smudge tool to blur those lines together, which looks like this:

[IMG]
    After that, I might add in more lines and smudge some more. Here's a closeup of some of the hair:

[IMG]

Now, I'm not a Linda Berkquist as I am still getting the hang of the whole digital painting thing. And this set of of images was rushed in about a half hour of work. But here's some images of how my hair generally turns out:

This one I used a variety of different brush sizes and then smudged and added until I was happy. (This was also my first digital painting and took a very long time to complete.)

[IMG]

Here's one from about a year ago, and it even has some fur:

[IMG]

I hope that helps you a bit, at least to see another technique.

Good luck!
  14. ARCHIVED-Lunnagirl Guest

15. ARCHIVED-Cadori Seraphim Guest

Wow that is simply amazing Luna! Thank you so much for sharing!
  16. ARCHIVED-K_Aramae Guest

Very nice!
    Thanks so much!
  17. ARCHIVED-Seagoat Guest

Wow, thanks Lunna! :D Can't wait to try it out...
  18. ARCHIVED-wiire Guest

Very awesome thank you so much! I shall look at this next time I'm working on hair.
    I still get stuck between the blurry-smudgy-hair stage and the drawing individial hair lines stage, just never looks quite right. Either too smudgy or too jagged.

And yea, I gave up on the realistic eq-art style character manip for my sig because I was getting so frustrated, so ended up making a crazy scary more artsy than screenshot looking sig heh. Its odd, but it suited what I wanted at the time heh.
    Here is some more hair I edited (the sig isnt going to be used, i know he's missing half his forehead because this is an old sig, all I wanted to do was to add hair, and the pose is weird looking) but it still shows how i tried to do the hair. The actual hair strands look too blurry to me (but when i use a smaller brush they look too 'crisp' and the actual hair shape and edges are blocky and jagged. Not wispy and smooth lined like yours. I know the wispy-ness is something I need to learn to do with my pen strokes, but its still the darn hair strands that get me, even looking at your tutorial, nothing makes me go eureka! (although it still was very helpful, thank you again!)
    [IMG]

Here is the exact spot I get baffled by, and I'm sure theres not much you can say other than "I just draw lines," but when I do that, I get the crap I'm showing above.. =/
    [IMG]
  19. ARCHIVED-K_Aramae Guest

She just looks strung-out looking for her next fix.
    Why'd you change from your old one? It was much more appealing.
    :(
  20. ARCHIVED-wiire Guest

She's a strung out crazy defiler :p And I just like changing my sig. Its the only sig and toon I can edit as much as i want and not worry about how the player will feel hehe.