It's the economy stupid - fixing inflation

Discussion in 'General TLE Discussion' started by Satyr, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Satyr Well-Known Member

Inflation is a problem on Varsoon.

Krono prices have randomly doubled this week from 90p to over 180p. Cash rich botters are now manipulating the broker for certain goods (food and drink for example) and causing further inflation.

There are a few reasons for this problem:
    - Botters farming raid zones/instances, vendoring loot and creating massive amounts of plat
    - The removal of most plat sinks that used to exist in classic (broker fees, mount costs etc). Cost for hunter's weapons obviously don't bridge the gap.

There need to be more ways for plat to exit the economy and the plat floating about now needs to be flushed out:

Suggestion
    - Increase the cost of hunter's items (3x)
    - Increase the cost of repairing (10x)
    - Reduce the value of vendored loot (by 70%)
    - Introduce a new mount (or similar) with stats less than the purchased mount from the packs but good enough that people would buy it. Charge 80p.

These changes would flush some of the plat out of the economy and stop things from going quite as insane as they are now.

This is important to do because this will only get worse and it puts people off from playing the game. Things were bad enough when people were using software to mass produce consumables, but the way things are going the entire broker is going to end up being dominated/manipulated by people who are cheating - and that sucks.
    Bekkr and Sigrdrifa like this.
  2. Satyr Well-Known Member

Buy out on tier 5 food

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Increase from 20-25g to 80g from buyout. Radishes from 6p to 40p from buyout:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  3. Zenji Well-Known Member

It's not random.
    It happened on the week with double loot and increased rare drops.
    1 hour farming ring events in Sinking Sands or PoF and you can walk away with 40-50 plat

You can blame bots for plenty of things, but lots of just regular players are farming plat. It is absurdly easy this week.

No, just no. Because after this week of bonus loot ends, the supply of easy plat goes away.
    Xillean and Dude like this.
  4. Zenji Well-Known Member

Imagine a world where people can buy up in demand items and then flip them for a profit.
    Dude likes this.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You can stop this, simply by making/harvesting the same stuff and putting it on the broker at a lower price. Keep doing this until the people have spent all their money buying you out. Get your friends to help.
    Soara2 and Arielle Nightshade like this.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

lol if he spends "all their money buying" the people out, then they can just re-list the items at a higher price and make more money.

The better solution is to just do the harvesting and sell for the going rate. That way they can keep up with inflation.
    Soara2 and Pixistik like this.
  7. Satyr Well-Known Member

I'll never understand why people in this game always are so keen to defend crappy things. That this can happen is a clear sign that there need to be new ways for plat to exit the economy to reduce inflation:

[IMG]
    Bekkr likes this.
  8. Zenji Well-Known Member

So 1 person had a couple thousand master crafted food listed on the broker, and you think the problem is that 1 person had a couple hundred plat and bought it all? o_O
    Arielle Nightshade likes this.
  9. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

^ This is the way!
  10. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Thinking this, myself. If you harvest your own mats and craft your own stuff - it's basically profit, except fuel cost. You can price it for whatever you want. As far as farmed items, I do see many bot-farmed things up, but I see probably an equal number of things posted from 'legitimate' sources: people or guilds that got them playing As Intended.

The opportunity to get loot, items and plat is there for everyone, not just botters this week. Just selling 'vendor trash' gets me 10-20p right now. And that's just from doing Hunters and putting loot on auto 'greed or accept'. With the exception of a bot seller, any item up on the broker is usually open for a price discussion, if you contact the seller. Not always, but quite often.

We're going to be sad when the double loot and body drops are over - but it has made it easy for newly minted characters to complete things like language quests and L&L in a short time. That, and current tier masters are basically free...which is nice and somewhat appropriate for this spot in the expansion.
  11. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Someone said yesterday: "Indium is 2g each!" I'm like..no, Indium is free, and not that hard to go get.
    Tkia and Pixistik like this.
  12. Bekkr Well-Known Member

You don't play on varsoon, do you?
    Dude and Zenji like this.
  13. Spiritus Praeteriti Member

You don't understand basic economics, do you?
    Soara2 likes this.
  14. Dude Well-Known Member

So you think basic economics is reflected in the idea of "fixing" the economy by a handful of people harvesting some stuff and selling it below market value to people who are going to buy it and resell it at market value?
    Bekkr likes this.
  15. Satyr Well-Known Member

The only way to effectively beat them in that sense is to jack your prices up if you're anticipating a buy out and then laugh when what you sold them doesn't move. Most of that stuff is under what they bought it for now so they're taking a loss on each sale. The disruption is unfortunate though.

The economy is broken without plat sinks though - double loot or no. If you keep printing money (looting it) and it has nowhere to go you end up like Zimbabwe or the US.
  16. Soara2 Well-Known Member

Lol are you saying Varsoon is the only server that ever dealt with this? Go look on AB for the cost of one level 80 rare Brellium.
    Breanna likes this.
  17. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I do have a toon on Varsoon.
    Soara2 likes this.
  18. Spiritus Praeteriti Member

Did you seriously just describe the absolute based down level of economics, of bartering? And ask me if I think that reflects basic economics? Are you okay?
  19. Tkia Well-Known Member

The only way to fix the economy would be to control the greed. And as most players aren't even prepared to admit that it even exists that ain't never gonna happen.
    Pixistik likes this.
  20. Dude Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm good. Thanks for asking!
    Breanna and Pixistik like this.