Cannot Reproduce Item examinations are not working

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Cusashorn, Feb 24, 2024.

1. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

Category: Interface
    SubCategory: User Interface
    Severity: Affects Gameplay
    Frequency: Happens Often.

Character: Ouka
    Server: Maj'Dul

A few nights ago I noticed that about 80-90% of anything I click to examine just doesn't work. No examination window pops up. Some times an item will-- and if it does, then it continues to do so. The majority of item links in my chat or inventory just don't pop anything up.

I logged in yesterday and the item links were working for a while, but then they stopped again. I logged in today and they're still not working.

I've never had anything happen like this before in my toon's existence and I have no idea what is happening or how to fix it from my end.
    Edelphia, Tkia, Twyla and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

It's still persisting and I have no idea what is causing it or how to fix it.

First thing I did was update DarqUI.
    2nd thing was run a file verification check in the options on the launcher.
    3rd thing I did was delete my personal cache from my computer files. I heard that affected things.

I'm still getting mostly empty examinations on my inventory, bags, and anything linked in chat.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Moss Well-Known Member

One recurring problem that many players have with examine window is that for some reason they move out of screen and could not be visible anymore.

In that case when a player examine an item nothing seems to happen because the window is rendered out of screen. Examining other items one after another would eventually make one appear, one that is not out of screen.

The easiest fix is to edit the text file "NameofServer_Nameofcharacter_eq2_uisettings.xml" that is at the root folder of Everquest2. In your case it should be something like MajDul_Ouka_eq2_uisettings.xml.

Make a backup of the file and open it with notepad or any other tool and search for the section:

<Module Name="Examine" window_version="36">
    <Window Name="ExamineItem_clone_0" ...>
    </Module>

Make sure the game is closed.
    Remove all those lines and save the file.
    Open the game and examine an item again.

Hope it helps you resolve your problem.
    Yenk and Cusashorn like this.
  4. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

This is what it currently says:

<Module Name="Examine" window_version="36">
    <Window Name="ExamineItem_clone_0" alignment="5" alignment_offset="98,402" size="349,871">
    <Properties clone_version="4"/>
    </Window>
  5. Edelphia Well-Known Member

I also have had the links in my chat window go dead for the most part. I can see the ones I link but when someone else links an item, I usually get a dead link. I checked my file extensions also and mine read as Ouka's do as well. Happening on Kiskilla, Edelphia, Nitpicky, ....... and the entire hoard of toons I have
  6. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

No solutions yet. Links are still dead for the most part.
  7. Evilary Well-Known Member

I've not run into this particular problem. I link myself stuff daily in order to click on it to remember what I'm after. I wonder if there is a setting on your side causing an issue?
  8. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

Shut down game then go to your darqui APP and click the home button top left, select toon you have issue with then select examine then hit reset then autosave. Now start game and check.

[IMG]
  9. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

If all else fails or someone else has this same issue and not have darqui best you can do is edit your xml file removing all examineitem_clone lines or deleting your xml file for the toon you have issues on and start over a new xml file.
  10. Cusashorn Well-Known Member

It's worth noting that this just suddenly happened in the middle of my play session-- along with other people at the same time, judging by others talking about it in chat. Everything was working just fine, and then it wasn't.

I'll try the Darq UI app again.
  11. Ratalthor Developer

We do not support custom UIs and do not believe this to be an issue with the default UI.