Issues with launching game via Launcher

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by sartrik, Apr 17, 2019.

1. sartrik New Member

Hi there!

So I am having this strange issue for a few months and Support team is unable to assist me with this one.
    The issue is that I am unable to launch the game through the launcher - it just hangs like that upon clicking "Play" button:

[IMG]

Game's exe never starts when trying to do so from the launcher.
    The fun thing is, it happens with all Daybreak games I've tried so far - EQ1, EQ2 and Planetside 2.

I have tried the following:
    - Clean booting windows
    - Running launcher as admin
    - Re-installing DirectX 9.0c
    - Re-installing recommended vcredist
    - Re-installing launcher and game client
    - Clearing the launcher's cache both in game's folder and AppData folder

Right now I have only one theory on what's going on - for some reason the launcher is unable to call for the game's exe.

Is there any suggestions I may try to solve this one?
  2. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

first one could, oh i do not know, maybe identify the operating system being used, as opposed to taking for granted all here can read minds.
    two, download SysInternals Process Explorer, an orders of magnitude better task manager-ish program and see if everquest2.exe is actually running in the back ground. {https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer}
    try disabling any resident anti-virus programs, as those are notorious for preventing programs from operating properly while they "scan when executing"
    try launching everquest2.exe directly from the /EverQuest II/ directory and see if you can log in that way.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  3. Breanna Well-Known Member

Did you play back when Sony owned it before daybreak took over? If so you may have 2 .exe files that may be confusing it. When Daybreak took over the Launchpad switched up a bit. Also have you tried Validating assets?
    Cyrrena and Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr like this.
  4. sartrik New Member

Oh, I'm sorry. Totally my fault, almost knew I would miss something. I am using Windows 10 with the latest update installed. Process Explorer does not show that everquest2.exe is being launched from the launcher either. The launcher just eats a bunch of CPU time and that's it.
    I am able to launch the everquest2.exe directly and play the game this way - it's just less convenient to launch the launcher to update the game and then run the game exe separately.

Yes, I've played the game since from the ancient times but I was able to launch it through launcher successfully when the Fallen Gate launched and around last January too.
  5. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I know I read somewhere that someone else could not launch from the launcher and upon exploring things they found that the exe was running somewhere so the launcher could not launch it. That may have been eons ago though.

Have you tried deleting your desktop shortcut to the launcher and creating a new one from the launcher exe in your newly installed folder? I know that sounds dumb but when I make a separate install for Beta or something, I have to do that for each separate install or the launcher will just do exactly what you are describing.

Good luck, I hope that you can get some assistance. You might perhaps try sending a private forum message to Kander, Caith, Gninja, or one of the others and they may be able to forward your issue to someone other than CSR.
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

well, last week's update from MicroFlaccid for winX has been making alot of news as there have been conflicts with third-party Anti-Virus programs causing quite a bit of havoc on slow booting, gaming, etc..
    check with your third-party AV and see if their forums list which KB updates are recommended to be uninstalled.
    you could also consider doing a roll-back of last week's updates and see if that helps,...
    Breanna likes this.
  7. sartrik New Member

I am running the game right from the folder and the launcher logs are showing the correct path except for the call to run exe never executes
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I am running the windows defender only and the issue appeared back in December of 2018 so I guess the only hardcore solution left is to reinstall windows :D
    Thank you for the suggestions and your time!
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  8. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

And you tried to rename folder of client, then to throw out exe from client, then to start launcher and to wait for new version of exe in client? About "clean" reinstallation of Windows (such it's required for the solution of problems with "curve" records of the register) here
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...stall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08
  9. sartrik New Member

I've tried a clean install of the game's client to a different folder / hard dive - no luck there. But I have not tried to re-validate the game's exe tho.
    Thank you for the link!