Is there a game that comes close to vintage EQ2 PvP?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Trasor, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Trasor Active Member

The subject line pretty much sums it up. I am just wondering if there is a game that has vast open world pvp zones with questing and other things and not a few buttons to click when fighting. Not a game that advertises manicured pvp environments please.

Similar fantasy concepts and a large player base, does that game exist?

Thanks
  2. Livejazz Well-Known Member

Other than WoW PvP servers? No, not that I know of.
  3. Trasor Active Member

4. Raff Well-Known Member

Maybe ESO...but the animation / combat is pretty clunky compared to a lot of the new games out there. Even compared to here.

But the Alliance PvP Map is bloody huge. Back when I played, it took over 20 minutes to traverse it from one side to the other..on foot. Less so, once mounted. But still...
  5. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Yea maybe try ESO. Especially since its going B2P (Buy to Play, no sub fees) in March, so the player base should increase. Game is a lot better than it was at release to.
  6. m0zone New Member

mortal is sorta like eq1 pvp just its harsh unforgiving
  7. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Another game that really focuses on PvP and has huge battlegrounds is Guild Wars 2. (I haven't tried PvP on it really as they been focusing a lot on PvE lately, but I am more of a PvE gamer, so me answering this question might be silly :p )

But yea, between that and ESO, the playstyles are really different over EQ2, but their really ain't any other big named games with large player bases that do big open world PvP. ESO and GW2 both have huge updates coming though, GW2's being an expansion pack.
  8. Trasor Active Member

I have checked out GW2, it depresses me a ton, I thought AA was ok, haven't tried ESO because some Naggy players didn't like it. Having fun on Smite now, which is a completely different game, but it has entirely different levels of strategy in PvP combat over EQ2 which makes things more interesting.
  9. ShaggyBodom Well-Known Member

Try out a game because it may look fun, not because someone else says its not :) Plus, its an MMO and MMOs change. I despised, hated, ESO when it first came out. Worst purchase I ever made. Finally went back after hearing the B2P announcement and having a ton of fun. Its had 5 major updates since release, and all of them good. IMO that is. You still might not like it, just saying its up to the individual to decide and also depends on when they played it (I know lots hated it back when it came out).

Glad you are having fun with Smite though! Its always nice finding something you are looking for in a game. I am *still* looking for the perfect MMO. I been looking for 10 years :p
  10. Ucala Well-Known Member

tbh Destiny pvp is pretty darn close to "fair" across all boards where it comes down to how well you play and not really the items you have. /shrugs