Is tailorling still a good tradeskill ?

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by varlak, Jan 26, 2019.

1. varlak New Member

Hi, I was away from the gear for a long time and I ploan to un-dust my lvl 94 monk. Is tailorling worth it or would I be bether served by alchemy or provisioner ?
    Seefar and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  2. Mermut Well-Known Member

Any class that makes consumables will have more longevity in 'useful stuff to make' than classes that make 'gear'.
    That being said, tailors are still viable. I use mine to make stuff to blow up for infuser bits now that I don't need the armor and only the occasional bag for a new toon.
    Venur and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  3. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

All the tradeskills are still viable, but if you are looking for one that is viable for broker selling you need to look at carpenter, sage, provisioner, alchemist, and woodworker. The others are good to make things that you can transmute for mats or experiment on, but not really for selling on the broker, except for bags on a tailor, but your bags need to be priced reasonably near the low end of the spectrum or they will sit on your broker.
  4. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Tailors sell backpacks pretty reliably. Also, mages and leather classes need tailored armor. Tailors also get to make a couple of types of thrown weapon things.

If you're a monk, you'll be able to use the leather armor and thrown weapon pouches, and everyone needs bags or boxes.
  5. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Tailor is a viable class but I have heard it said many times by a good number of folk that your first/primary tradeskill class should be one you can make your own spell upgrades with..I thought about it a little and it makes pretty good sense to me.
  6. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

You just have to harvest your own rares. Never, never buy crafted stuff from the broker unless it's priced lower than the cost of the rares. And always harvest your own rares, because, jeez, they're literally laying around on the ground in the overland zones, you just have to spend a little time each day picking them up.

There is a Crafting channel available where you can ask for a scholar to craft spell upgrades (or whatever kind of crafter to make whatever it is you need). You can also use the /who command.

For example, if you needed T6 scout spells, you might use: /who all jeweler 50 110

You need armor for a level 100 paladin? /who all armorer 100 110

You can try sending tells to people who come up in a /who search. If they're in an instance, don't expect a reply... it's probably better to send in-game mail asking if they'll craft for you. If they're standing in a guild hall, try a tell... they may be AFK, or they may be available.
  7. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I've got several dozen toons, with all the crafting specialties covered per server and more. I've never really bothered with spell or fighting skill upgrades that I've made myself, though I've considered dabbling in it, but then I don't raid or even group much any more unless a guildie needs some help and I'm not knee-deep in something difficult at the time myself (one disadvantage of having so many alt "kids" is that they're all quite demanding...). I do want to make absolutely sure that my toons have all the gear they need that I can make myself, just in case: I play at odd hours; sometimes my guilds don't have a ton of people any more (depending); the Broker prices are ridiculous; and I hate to have my cap in my hand, bugging guildie folks to whip me up something I can easily do myself. ;->

That being said, yeah, there are times when my armorers, weaponsmiths, jewelers, and tailors do just sit around, twiddling their thumbs with nothing much to do until my toons get to the x9 levels (19, 29, 39, etc.), and I have to rouse the crafting troops to make gear for the next tier for them (x0 and x2 for the Mastercrafted stuff [Rings/Weapons/Hex Dolls and Chests/Legs/Shields mostly; whatever can be Imbued]). Since I'm a bit behind on that right now (thank the gods for the AA slider... "You're not getting beyond x9 until you're geared for it, young kitty!" "Aw, mom..." [poor things :oops:]), I don't anticipate them being bored for very long. ;->

Uwk
    who generally doesn't Broker anything unless it's an extra "you get all your mats back! Woo-hoo!" "You couldn't've done that for the RARE I was using? Just when I made the thing and was Imbuing it? Thanks..." sort of item
    Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I harvest all my own stuff, the only time I buy rares is if I find them for really, really, low prices, like less than 20 plat for a kaborite or a brellium. I have a carpenter with all the recipes available through CD. I have a tailor, a sage, a jeweler, an alchemist, and an armorsmith with recipes through PoP, and the others with recipes through KA. So I am behind in quite a few but oh well, its just me. I craft for myself and fund my hall by selling depots, wormhole generators, repair bots, forcelinks, powerlinks, injectors, etc.
  9. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

Its "just you" because you killed and ate everyone else in the guild!
    LOL, well ....maybe didn't kill all of them:D
  10. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

The ones she couldn't catch as they fled? :D

Uwk
    Cyrrena, Breanna and Pixistik like this.
  11. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I ran into her standing in Doomfire a couple of weeks back..I was so nervous I hugged her merc...poor thing
    My apologies for going off topic varlak
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Yes I did!!!
    Breanna and Pixistik like this.
  13. Seefar Well-Known Member

I've always thought that an odd point of view for an MMO. Is this a solo game or a co-operative one? I wonder sometimes.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  14. Seefar Well-Known Member

Err... so I'm supposed to make an Academic's Bow of Fortitude, for instance (which is the only one of the four I've yet found the recipe for) from purified rares (that I can't make myself), then spend a half hour of my life experimenting on it up to Visionary (which -- in theory at least, unless you use Mi Experimentation Technique[tm] -- I risk losing the item) -- and then sell it for less than the rare cost on the broker? (which rare cost is that? Purified or non-purified?).

You're out of your freaking mind.
    Cyrrena likes this.
  15. Laaw Well-Known Member

never buy others crafted items rather sell to others. help guildies with rare crafted
  16. Bhayar Well-Known Member

I get your point; that said, if I need something crafted or harvested, I can usually log one of my alts in and make it on the spot rather than waiting for someone to show up or be able to be available. And having all those crafters means I can help a lot of other people who need stuff made. And I agree with your last statement--no way will I make something and sell it for less than the cost/time of the mats. Why bother?
  17. Mermut Well-Known Member

If you can craft top tier gear, you're high enough level to refine rares, you just might have to change AA specs to do so.
  18. Seefar Well-Known Member

I understand that. But, as far as possibubble, I don't re-roll. So I'm stuck with the decisions I made along the way (according to my own personal roolbuk). This may seem strange, but it has the side-effect that, since I can't salvage and can't refine, the only way I can get fragments and purified rares is to trade with others for them. It's an MMORPG :)

Isn't it a good thing we're all different?
    Cyrrena likes this.
  19. Mermut Well-Known Member

I never said you HAD to, just that you COULD ;)
  20. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

At one time many moons ago it was a co-operative one, now its solo centric unless you want to raid or do heroics.
    But, if you are part of a good guild where everyone looks out for one another its easy to get what you need, give a little get a little.