Is Drinal dead?

Discussion in 'History and Lore 2' started by Kalmaraa, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Kalmaraa Active Member

This is where raider logic and lore logic tend not to mesh. Which also a common problem.

Overal story line notes that the Silver Reaper got freed from his coruption long enough to release the souls that where there before there time, but he is still under it's influance and might never be truly free of it. It also notes that how he and the plane became one and the same there is no real way to get him back to normal, as such he can never actually die.

Raider logic however is pretty simple, you can claim his head for your hall, so he's dead.

Now saddly the lore for Planes of War supported the raider logic with Zek's dreath there, which makes the current lore vs raider logic a bit of a arguement between raiders and lore buffs of late. After all they both can't be true regarding Drinal.
  2. Neiloch Well-Known Member

So you are basing this entirely on the trophies?

Even when Drinal is defeated by raiders he doesn't 'die', no corpse no poof, he sticks around and thanks the raiders for their help. This occurs in the quest line and heroic version I believe as well.

So basically don't think of the trophies as their literal head. More like a bust of the NPC that was defeated.

Speaking of which when I hover over the drinal trophy it says 'Trophy: King Tormax's Head'
  3. Emissary Vex Active Member

No he cant die, he was a spirit when he arrived in the Ethernere and none of the spirits there permanently die. There is a quest in Obol Plains that explains it.

http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/eq2_quest:Even_the_Score

Zam doesn't have any of the dialog, but this woman Dalyana has been repeatly killed by Venox in order to make her angry and worship Innoruuk. I believe there is also another quest in Eidolon someplace where the spirits talk about how they hate being killed over and over again by the lizardmen.
  4. Kalmaraa Active Member

No it's raiders on my server that are, I prefer the lore myself. Just that the debate on the server I am on seems to just go on and on. I figured a post on the forums here should help clear it up for everyone.

That is a quest I did, and should have remembered, thanks for reminding me there.
  5. Neiloch Well-Known Member

So even though they see him still alive and intact after defeating him and getting loot, they think he's dead and they have his head? The trophy that is in the chest that Drinal is standing next to, btw. The raiders on your server are silly.
    Elostirion and Ragna like this.
  6. Twinbladed Well-Known Member

why does it matter?
  7. Neiloch Well-Known Member

Because this is the history and lore section.
    Elostirion likes this.
  8. Estred Well-Known Member

Indeed, I mean raider-logic aside even Trakanon "should" be dead... except he is alive and well whenever you walk back into his lair after resetting it. Heck by this time I am sure the Awakened have many adventurers on their hit-lists for repetitive murdering of the Ring of Scale ;)

I prefer Lore myself, but accept that because this is a game; our actions cannot be permanent. Were the actions of Norrathians permanent then every normal Raid boss would "die" after their first slaying and never respawn. So there is some suspension of belief here.
  9. Mohee Active Member

Casting Rez on the undead should instantly kill them! :D

oh wait, that's Final Fantasy! hehe sorry.

Could you imagine though if at least heals would deal damage to undead mobs? :)
  10. Dinwiz Active Member

drinal is bugged between the living and dead :)
  11. Rainmare Well-Known Member

the logic to it is that storywise, all but 1 member of the Ring of Scale is dead. that member alive more then likely being Xygoz. Drinal, like all the gods, cannot be killed by mortal means. you can destory thier corpreal form all you want. they just remanifest themselves, because like they tell you with Drinal, he is a reflection of the Plane as much as it is a reflection of him.

Rallos was killed because you used the Exonus and Aeteok on him. Theer's Godslaying weapons. in Eq1, I beleive Cazic is actually offed by Morelle Thule...though I'm not entirely sure on how thier 'House of Thule' actually played out that killed Cazic.

and Rallos had to die. even the other Gods agreed to it because his arrogance and lack of patience could have undone all creation...and if he succeeded, he was going to become the tyrant that they though Theer was going to be. and he death gave rise to the Hounds of War, with Sullon/Tallon/Vallon becoming a Triumverate and splitting his domain/influence/power between them.

Some of the trophies are indeed dead. the Djinn Master, Vox, Darathar for example. others are very much alive, like Tallon/Vallon/Sullon. or Barados(seeing as he's a spirit in ethernere, he'll simply reform after a time). At least in a manner of speaking for some. the Godking, Gynok Moltor...those were undead who will more then likely simply rise again. Gynok from his curse, the Godking from the Fyr'un/Anashti's will.

though from my experience, it's better to say, unless the lore specifically states it at some point, that the raid mobs are still alive..wether you have thier head or not. like Venekor...we 'killed' him twice, before he showed up in Ethernere. and you can kill him in Ethernere all you want..he's going to come back.
    Kaitheel likes this.
  12. Dragan Active Member

I figure that the NPC's have a Rez Service :)
  13. Meirril Well-Known Member

Venekor was a special case. Lore wise he had unfinished business so even his first trophy hints he is still alive. What determins if a mob dies or lives is how much the mob is needed for the story. If they arn't, they "died". If the story needs them to live on, they do.

Generally speaking mortals arn't important enough to survive a good killing. Gods generally will survive because they are important to the story and technically should reform after killing. As we've seen recently, the story can kill even gods when it call for it. Major figures like Mayong, Trakanon, Veniril and even Antonia may survive being raid targets simply because they are too important to the story of EQ2. Hehe, wouldn't that be a fun raid? Line up Antonia, Lucan and Christanos and show your "loyalty".