Is a berserker a tanker?

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-ChrisM, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-ChrisM Guest

I was looking at all the abilities given to the various classes and it really doesn't look like a berserker is a tanker since all their abilities seem to be devoted to lowering their AC. If they aren't good tanks, are they in any demand for groups?
  2. ARCHIVED-Sevor Guest

Of course they'll be good tanks. Just because they don't have some of the defensive skills that the Guardians have doesn't mean they can't tank well. According to Sony, ALL fighters should be able to tank well, just in different ways. You can already tell that eq2 requires a lot more skill and tactics than the hack/slash ways of eq1.

I have no worries about groups not wanting bezerkers for their tank. We'll do just fine. ;)
  3. ARCHIVED-IcelusDMentis Guest

Agreed... in the broad sense any fighter can tank well. Specific situations may favor one archetype over another, but in the end my guess is that player skill will be the big determining factor, especially with the HO system. A good player can chain with groupmates to complete opportunities, while a bad one will use the wrong skills and screw the HO's up.

Also, I think the main difference between fighter classes is the secondary effects they get from their abilities. For example, berserkers seem to get more debuffs, while guardians seem to get more buffs.
    Message Edited by IcelusDMentis on 11-11-2004 12:35 PM
  4. ARCHIVED-Ryutsuba Guest

I'm going to go out on a limb and wager that Berserkers will tank just fine, as well as or almost as well as Guardians in normal grouping situations. Raid-level play is probably where you're going to want a Guardian tank, but then Berserkers can do other things as well.
  5. ARCHIVED-Vaxul Guest

I dont have any problem tanking at all =). I have been the main tank in nearly every group i have been in, and if i wasnt it was because there was a higher lvl there that had more hp/ac.

With assault and shout you can make sure multiple mobs have thier attention on you and not on others. I am only lvl 12 right now, but i havnt had a problem yet. maybe in the later game 30s-40s it may change but i dont see it changing too much. We are the counterpart to a guardian, the guardian is a big mob tank for sure with all the extra defensive abilities they get. As for regular groups, we are just as good if not better because of the extra damage we can put out) /flex

Vax
  6. ARCHIVED-Bladshadow Guest

Based on previous experience I would have to say the difference between the class skills of fighters are minimal and it is the way you play that adaptation that makes the most difference along with good quality kit. I liked the berserker because it suited my style of play with a warrior and is easy to role-play too. People should play what feels right for the way they would like to work in a group or solo.
    A Berserker works on killing the mod quickly so the mobs window opportunity and its ability to damage the party not to mention the berserker is kept to a minimum.
    A Guardian works on minimising the damage that can be done to the party through greater resistance to that damage.
    Hope that is of some help.
  7. ARCHIVED-OverlordMLF Guest

Id have to say a well played Zerk is a better tanker in every situation than a poorly or even normal played Warrior.

The difference between them seems to be minimal enough that a zerk can defintly play tank better if a good player behind the wheel.

Hell I played a witha warrior who decided to pull several mobs while he was dual wielding....now if you think playing main tank while duel wielding is a smart thing to do, you are the warrior a well played zzerk can easily out tank.

I also think a LOT of farming/grinding groups will be AoE groups and again Zerk shines in this situation....Unlkess skills exponentaially change over the next many lvls and end game... a Zerk can pull/hold agro just fine...launch AoE attacks....wears Vanguard....has good base Warrior skills for buffs.

Things look good Im sure there will be lots of intersting things that come out over the next many lvls, but so far I am really having fun and am impressed with the class.
  8. ARCHIVED-Dutroc Guest

Berserkers cant wear Vanguard .. only Platemail like Clerics .. only Guardian Paladin and Shadowknight can wear Vanguard .. unless they changed it recently
  9. ARCHIVED-Theyne Guest

And again someone is misinformed. Berserkers can wear Vanguard I said I wasn't going to say this again, but come on people read the other posts (and reason I say this is theres about 3-4 other threads asking about Vanguard and in each one its been commented on that we can wear.) It was changed a long time ago in beta. Just the guides and sony website never changed the information on it. The thing about Vanguard is it was changed from being its own set of armor to Heavy Armor requirement.
  10. ARCHIVED-OverlordMLF Guest

Why do people constantly post misinformation about classes when they do not know.

I would never have said ,"they can in fact wear Vanguard" had I not hit 20 last night and bought some..and then, yes then, Equiped a full set of it.

Stop spreading misinformation people.
  11. ARCHIVED-Ritmo Guest

I have no idea why people keep thinking zerks cant wear vandguard. Maybe because of how it was in beta, but it has since been changed and mentioned many a time on these forums.

I'd advise everyone to read the Misconceptions of the Berserker thread by Theyne, it answers questions like these pretty well.
  12. ARCHIVED-Khalad Guest

The manuel and the information on the classes on this site are months old and have not been updated. Zerkers can wear vanguard and do not need to be berserked to use their other abilities.