Int, Ag or Stamina for Personal Traits?

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Faelos, Jun 29, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Faelos Guest

Ive got a pair of Gnome Mages. Since they duo, I have never run out of power when fighting. I have run out of HPs. So I was thinking that upping either my stamina or agility would be best. I figure gear Int gear in the future will be more prevalent anyways, and maybe a physical trait might be more useful for survival.

Now with two guys I can drop stuff pretty fast. I normally wont die on a single pull.
    I guess Agility increases Avoidance, so I would dodge more often. Only useful against melee or bows. I root, but these things break often. At my level Im only dying to melees, but I figure later I will be facing more spell casters.
    Stamina obviously increases HPs. Which helps against both casters and melee, but I hear that the amount of HPs gained through stamina is less than one hit later on, where Ag will allow you to dodge a whole attack.

So, which is more important. Ag or Stamina?

I know Int is the main stat for a Mage, but given I dont run out of power its currently a waste. BUT I hear that they are trying to implement spell damage increases for Int (and Wisdom for Priests).

What do you guys think about my stat choice? I imagine most people just put it into Int.

Thanks,
    Mal
  2. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

I'd say, AGI if you solo a lot, but STA could be more useful during the raids or longer encounters.
  3. ARCHIVED-Atdan Guest

In an upcoming patch int will play a part in how much damage you do to a mob vs the mob's wis so I went int.

Alot of folks have went with agi and sta but so far I have found the extra hp's don't help dress wearing classes :smileyhappy: If they are that close to me I should be playing a warrior.

Chipper Bogglecog 45 Warlock
  4. ARCHIVED-xabaras77 Guest

Go for sta for now.
    1st rule about soloing is dont be hit (aka perma rooting), if something goes wrong Hp will sure help much more than avoidance (aka agi u will take from traits etc).
    Once Combat revamp will go live, SOE will give the opportunity to /respec again then u can chose int or whatever u like as much more will be known about this combat revamp.
  5. ARCHIVED-Faelos Guest

Thanks guys,
    Mal
  6. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Agi and Sta
    +-100-200hp aren't gona save you if you get barraged on 2K damage but if you can simply dodge that damage .... could make a difference between life and death .... BUT... Generally speaking you should not get hit ever so more HP = more Mana (Canibalization rules) so go for STA
  7. ARCHIVED-RandomPlayer Guest

I guess I'm the minority here....INT for me.
    Solo vs solo mobs, the hits are so light that I don't need to worry about HPs or AGI, especially if I use my stuns and roots correctly.
    Grouped vs heroic mobs, if both the MT and I play correctly, I'll almost never get hit, so no worry on HP or AGI.
    Solo vs heroic, I may get one or two hits and still be alive, but not much more, and another 25 or even 100 hps isn't going to make a noticeable difference. Don't get hit.
    Even if you choose AGI at every opportunity, you still won't have the avoidance of a Monk or Scout, so you'll still get hit. Maybe if you choose Froglok or Kerran for racial AGI too, you'd have a close run, but don't plan on AGI tanking with the current system as a Warlock.
    INT gives you power today, and after Big Update will give you power and more damage per nuke. Choosing 3 INT will give you more power than choosing 3 STA and cannibalizing HP to power via spell or manastone.
    Other than INT, you might consider WIS since after the patch WIS will affect your resistance to spells, but I wouldn't for two reasons:
    1. you get a respec when the patch goes live, so choose it then if you want, not now, but...
    2. since you shouldn't be getting hit anyway, spend it where you'll use it, on INT

To sum up, AGI, WIS, and STA all have their uses, and may save your bacon once in a blue moon. But INT is useful much more often today, and post patch will be useful on every nuke or dot you cast.

- RP
  8. ARCHIVED-Faelos Guest

OK, heres what Im gonna do. Go int for now. When the patch comes through I will test it out. If my damage goes up nicely, no change. If it isnt worth it, then I can /respec.

Mal
  9. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Unfortunally you cannt get use for int over 200 ...
  10. ARCHIVED-RandomPlayer Guest

Self buffed (soloing) at 46, my INT is still just 187.
    Erudite for highest possible INT, chosen INT every chance I get for traits, have a +12 INT 1H weapon and and a +12 INT offhand item. No fabled stuff yet, though.
    - RP
    update: at 47 with two new items I'm up to 199 (yay me)
    Message Edited by RandomPlayer on 07-05-2005 02:59 PM
  11. ARCHIVED-Splatterpunk28 Guest

You know, this question is asked alot and everyone has their own answers. The thing to remember is that all the choices you make are not short-term decisions -- they will affect you more at level 50 than they will at lower levels. So here's my 2cp:
    Stamina: Yes if you increase this trait you will have a few more hps. However, as things stand -- I occasionally duo with an enchanter who went the stamina/hp route as he gets aggro all the time. He dies in 2 hits, the same as me, even though he has about 400more hps than me.
    Agility: This stat does increase your mitigation -- I've looked at it, though it is not a very significant percentage increase. I can't really say that I know one way or the other if this does much. But IF you solo (or duo) primarily without a healer or tank, then sure -- this might be a wise choice if you find that you are having trouble keeping mobs at a distance (I don't).
    Intelligence: This stat increases your power pool and soon it will increase your dmg on spells as well. This would be a good bet, no matter what your playstyle is. On raids and when duo'ing I've found that it's my power bar that is low (not my health). If you are on raids and getting slammed by AEs then you need to invest in some resist gear (3k unbuffed on whatever mobs you are fighting makes an incredible difference.) In groups I have no problems at all, either way. Currently you don't get AS much power from each intelligence point over 200 as you do less than 200. That does NOT mean you suddenly get none. I doubt they will continue the soft cap at 200 after revamp considering characters in their early 30s can get over 200 with ease. Looking towards the future -- more power and more dmg is what intelligence will bring you. So for me it's a win, win selection.
  12. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

One more agrument for sta over int ....
    Resent nerf nearly destroyed all mana regeneration items to state of useless
    ROI from 20 to 7 power/tic
    GEBs from 20 to 5 power/tic
    Battlement of Mind from 16 to 5 power/tic plus several BoM items dont stack with each other anymore
    As a warlock you ability withstand prolonged fight relay not as much on your power pool but more on your ability refresh it as well as on efficiency of your spells. As it stands now Int soft capped at 200 (past this mark increase int wont net you much power and past mark 250 it wont net you any power (well +67int will net you 13 or so power). As it stands now raid buffed your int will go well over 300 - you dont need single fabled item to go that high. Int items comes very easy specially with last 2 expantions... Now what so special about sta? Well for warlock Sta = Power, the more HP you have the more you can canibalize. Grisly contract at Adept 3 give you 400power every 20s and that's where you need HP and a lot of em
  13. ARCHIVED-RandomPlayer Guest

Speaking from a position of someone who has solo'ed and grouped alot, but raided very little...
    I agree beyond 200 there's little need for more INT (until the combat revamp anyway). However, as far as STA goes...
    Seems like soloing I never run out of power against one mob, solo or heroic, so no need to cannibalize.
    Seems like grouping against typical mobs, power never goes below 50%, and one cannibalize shot of Grisly Contract and level 50 drink and I'm back at 90+ before the next pull.
    Seems like grouping against named and groupx2 and groupx3 mobs, when power becomes an issue, HP's don't help, as each time or two I cannibalize the healer responds with a group heal or if I get too low a backup healer hits me with a targeted heal for a couple hundred HP's.
    If I was ever in a spot where one more shot of grisly contract would put me at 0 health and I was OOP, I think I'd be in more trouble than +3 STA trait selection could fix. One moderate shot from a templar is worth about 50 STA points worth of HPs. Maybe they won't have time or power to heal us DPS classes in the groupx4 raids, and I'll need to reconsider, but for now....I still think INT works best for me.
    /shrug
    - RP
    Message Edited by RandomPlayer on 06-30-2005 09:39 AM
  14. ARCHIVED-Splatterpunk28 Guest

It's 7power/tick.
  15. ARCHIVED-chaos overload Guest

Why not go for both, Int and Agi? At lvl 48 with all my selfbuffs and equipment (non fabled) I'm around 117 Agi and 214 Int. So I get max. power and a 54% chance to avoid an attack from an lvl 48 mob. This doesn't makes me an ub0r WarScout, but saved my life quiete often.
  16. ARCHIVED-Fepple Guest

I think:

STA - Will make very little difference. Solo mobs should not present you a problem with HP. Heroic mobs hit us for so much (low mitigation) that a few extra HP wont make any difference as you'll still die in 2-3 hits.

INT - At the moment this just equals more HP. With our HP->Mana converts other group members will have mana problems well before you do - and if they go OOM - that mana you have left is useless.

AGI - Agi increases your chance of avoiding mob hits. Well as I've said above the others are pretty pointless (imho) so I'd go with this.

When the changes come in obviously go for INT things. Also I'd start getting your INT items now as price will no doubt go up after patch. Especially dolls.
  17. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

Get your int to around 190 solo buffed and then work on Agility. Like someone else said, barrages post 40 do around 2k damage so an extra 40-400hp doesn't matter for anything. My agility is at something like 114, and I "avoid" 53% of an equal level mob's attack. This comes in very handy. I used to be a naysayer of agility casters, but it can be extremely useful to dodge that barrage for 2500dmg when you get a little too close!

To the guy who said +sta for canni...um yea.
  18. ARCHIVED-Tanatus Guest

Guys I need a little elaborate about cani ....
    Warlock have to canibalize as soon as you go in AE attack mode - Devastation 258 power/45s, Nil Abs 238/20s, Null/Neg Abs around 117+ .... Any more or less prologed fights if you want sustein high DPS requied from you canibalize
    Other reason why go after sta and not after int is fact that int gear comes A LOT more easy - I seen tone items with 10+ int ... not many have that much sta on it and usable by casters