Install question

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Prayos, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Prayos Well-Known Member

I've recently reinstalled EQ2 on my computer, and I've noticed something strange in my list of programs in my Windows Control Panel.

[IMG]

Why are there two?
  2. Svenone Well-Known Member

At a guess, I would say one is the launchpad and one is the game, and they missed changing everything when they changed from SOE to DGC.
  3. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The one that says Sony is an old copy. They probably write into the registry differently.
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Prayos Well-Known Member

When you say "Old copy", are you meaning from an old install? If so, then I assure you I didn't have it installed prior to doing this this morning. If that's not what you meant, then, I'm not sure what you meant. Svenone has a reasonable explanation, though, I'm not sure why they'd need separate entries.
  5. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I still get a SOE splash screen that pops up before the launch pad opens. No idea how to get rid of it.
    Breanna likes this.
  6. Svenone Well-Known Member

It was only a guess, and I just checked my system where I have both EQ1 and EQ2 installed, and I can find no reference to SOE. However, I do still have references to LoN and the last time I tried to get rid of that my EQ2 was trashed. It's not hurting anything, though, so after restoring my EQ2 directory I just left the defunct LON alone. That probably has absolutely nothing to do with your question. :shrug:
  7. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I tried to uninstall LoN the other day, and got a confirm box asking if I wanted to uninstall EQ2. They are linked somehow.
    Breanna likes this.
  8. Tekka Well-Known Member

Could just be messy code.

The LoN thing has been an issue since they shut it down. Not sure if an answer was ever given for why you can't uninstall it.

Are you able to play the game without issue? If yes, I'd just leave it alone. Stuff you save, screenshots, layouts, etc. Should go to the DBG installation.

I had this problem when I tried to uninstall LoN and didn't read the pop-up close enough and it nuked my EQ2 install. I had to reinstall the game and found a shinie new DBG directory... plus the SOE one. It didn't affect my game play, that I could tell.
  9. Anhari Active Member

As far as I know, neither Sony nor Daybreak have the code correct for the registry of the games. When you "reinstall" EQ/EQ2 it writes a new entry into the Registry, but doesn't remove the old reference. This is where you would see EQ2(2), EQ2(1), etc. You should be ok in deleting either of the entries, but make sure that the one you keep points to the correct launchpad location.