Inquisitor ...

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Grubbie, May 17, 2014.

1. Grubbie New Member

Hi!

I am following Calberak's guide, and am wondering if the guide is still okay as far as class leveling goes?
  2. Gharish Active Member

Just read that. I just rolled an Inqqy and am looking for tips and advice as well and what spells need to be in rotations and all that important stuff. Wish there were more guides to classes like this one. I think the basics of that guide are still sound but the AAs are out of date by a long shot. Oh and if anyone knows of a Templar guide like this..I'd appreciate a link.
  3. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

Your best bet for leveling a new Inquisitor is as follows:

Get Steadfast in the Str line of the class tree. This allows you to cast heals even when a bunch of MOBs are beating on you.
    Get all the Combat Art conversion AAs in the subclass tree. You can use these attacks instead of ever having to upgrade your offensive spells.
    Get the Punishments expertise ability in the subclass tree. This will heal you just by triggering your reactive damage effects, which are your best attacks.
    Get the Litany of Combat AA in the archetype line of the Shadows tree. Litany of Combat is great.
    Go Severe Judgement in the Sta line of the class tree. Adds 32% to your melee damage.

Always use a massive 2H'er and make sure to never delay your auto attacks. The class really starts to shine after about 120 AAs, so do some grinding early and then you can become stupidly overpowered and solo pretty much anything close to your level. Enjoy!
    Morfydd and Treiko like this.
  4. Grubbie New Member

I have been following that mostly, am roughly 29 now and sitting around 50aa. I plan on doing about 50 more at 30. Thank you for the rough guide!
  5. Sudedor Well-Known Member

Getting ahead on your AA really does help a lot. It enables you to solo heroic content, which in turn gives far, far more XP than solo content, allowing you to level faster. Sort of a snowball effect if you will.
    Morfydd likes this.
  6. Morfydd Active Member

Follow Cheeseman's and Sudedor's advice. They are right on target. Note that you should assign your own AA's and not let the system do it for you.

Also grab the gear created from rares and replace it every 10 or 20 levels. The reactant gear is really nice, but you will be leveling so fast that it isn't worth the cost (and you should put any reactants you find on the broker to build up your plats).

Buy or collect your own rare harvests for spells and (if you aren't a Sage) ask a Sage to create your expert level spells (if this isn't a guildie, a tip would be appropriate for their time). Don't bother getting expert levels for the spells that you replaced with combat arts.

If you haven't already, grab the shadowknight merc (unless you have an elite merc of some stripe).
    Treiko likes this.
  7. 240bravo New Member

I agree with Cheese. That was pretty much how I had my T4 Inquis set up. He was strictly for battlegrounds and had full PvP gear instead of PVE, and at lvl39 with 160 AA spent, I was the healer for a DFC group. The tank wasn't very good and was moving really slow so I started pulling triple up yellow mobs since I knew I could solo them with ease and burn em down fast. Didn't lose aggro and was pulling faster than the tank. Kinda pissed him off so he left group but meh, time is money lol. Ended up tanking for the group as a healer. Couldn't do room pulls but still not bad for a t4 inquis.

That was a ways back but those aa really made him shine. It's a lot more time consuming to get aa early on with a healer vs an aoe/dps toon. Slap some healing adorns on and get multi-attack with aoe going, lock your xp and start to pull rooms solo in blackburrow...can't do that with a healer lol.
  8. Duckfloat New Member

ya that guides pretty outdated i was looking for one myself and i found http://www.grenricks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9927521
    dunno if i can link links.If the link doesnt work just look up 'soteria inquisitor guide' on google i learned alot from this, but also from calberaks guide even if it was outdated.

anyways i refuse to play the melee type inquis and would prefer to be a eleshaman/restoshaman(if u played wow u would know this). using a mainhand and shield.

i do have a question for geared inquis...can you solo heal stuff? is that a thing or are wardens/fury a must.
  9. Treiko Active Member

to be honest, while i will not say you are wrong for choosing that play style, i will say you are hindering yourself by not fully utilizing the tools you have. As an inquis a few abilities you gain via spells and AAs proc damage or heals, and mostly proc off melee attacks. The result of not meleeing is a reduction of overall damage and heals, in turn taking longer to kill stuff. Besides that, an auto attack from a 2hander is going to do far more damage than a spell. Even healers that do not contribute that much DPS still have auto attack on (whether with a weapon or a wand).

As to your other question, Inquis can solo heal group content just fine. IMO it would be silly that a cleric were unable to do his duty.
    Sydnye, Morfydd and -Soteria- like this.
  10. SacDaddy420 Active Member

the class you're looking for is called Templar. Now you can play any way you like but tbh you are gonna be very frustrated trying to successfully solo heal current zones with an inq played like that.

Battle Dressing is amazing. Often when i run ToV/Fabled zones its top 3 on my zonewide heal breakdown. No one dies. You cast group/single reactives and chilling before pull, you run in and get in place and cast your mit debuff and DG, then you post up and start swingin that big hammer (keeping your + crit bonus temp active whole time). Use Inquisition between swings if DG wears off (alternately since this spell can be cast on the run you can use this before DG if you like) . Use Prepared Defenses when you see the mob in the red or if you need the extra heals hit it under 50%. Do not miss an auto attack. Do not let your crit bonus buff drop. By now most heroic mobs will be dead but if you really need another round of Reactives Dont be afraid to use Equilibrium as a buffer to make sure you get them all back on. Use Equil preemptively, its ok if it never even goes off its there so you get 8 sec free time to get your stuff back on. This is how you play an inq.

I often zonewide most of these curent zones around 1 mil dps and 60-80K hps. And Im nothing special, my inq has been a side project since 2007. You can look up my toon Chilosac on eq2wire. No super gear. I do however have a dps set and an HP set. Almost always in dps.

Lazy dps classes gets stomped. Up your melee stats (DPS, crit bonus, haste, melee ae, multi and accuracy) and become the Inqbuckler.

The Inquisitor ~is~ the melee cleric. You have so many tricks (Equil, Prep Defenses, Inquisition, Battle Dressing, DG etc..) that you will really be doing yourself and your group a disservice if you stand back and simply spam reactives/ group heal. I am talking about heroic zones here. In raid you do need to turtle up sometimes but not often.

Have fun.
  11. Duckfloat New Member

you make it sound like im not going to cast damaging spells. the only thing im not doing is auto attacking.
  12. Malleria Well-Known Member

You have no idea how much of a disadvantage you're putting yourself at :(
  13. GIndotto Well-Known Member

Barring idiot tanks, you will have no issue solo healing content. And if the tank is le crap it really won't matter what class you are at that point.

Not auto-attacking on the Inquisitor is like not taunting on the fighter. Why are you refusing to do it?

One of your biggest utility heals in combat is from your auto attacks. You rarely cast more than MD + Inquisition going into a fight and just cure when needed. If you really dislike auto attacking with a 2h definitely switch to Templar and turn on the wand auto. You will not be uncovering some secret way to play the Inquisitor if that's your goal. Remember this game is 10 years old, players before us have weeded out the ways not to play the class.

P.S., "casting damaging spells" is not a thing on the Inquisitor. Maybe, -maybe- early game while leveling they look like they do something but even then your auto attack is way more, way more. It really sounds like you should betray to Templar and call it a day, you don't sound like an Inquisitor in the way you want to play a healer. (no offense buddy-pal!). But there are healer classes more attuned to your playstyle. Keep in mind though they all at least turn on their auto attacks minimally with your wand. I'm not sure who told you auto attack was bad, but this isn't WoW buddy.
  14. Morfydd Active Member

Install ACT and look at your damage output. You will find that most of your damage comes from your autoattack. Your damage spells make up small pieces of the pie. Not only that, but as others have mentioned, you do a lot of healing from procs off your autoattacks.

Of course, you are free to play as you wish. If you want groups though, just don't be surprised when one of your group members (who happens to be running ACT) asks why your dps and hps are so low.
  15. -Soteria- Well-Known Member

Blasphemy. Inquisitors can't not auto attack. It's half your dps and a third of your heals.
    Sydnye and Morfydd like this.