In the name of the overlord...

Discussion in 'Traveler's Tales' started by ARCHIVED-Morrak, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Morrak Guest

this is a story i have been fiddling around with and i thought you guys might enjoy... I do not know how far i will take it but i thought id show you guys what i have so far... the second chapter takes place before the first chapter, you dont really find out who the main character really is until the second chapter, so bear with me... if you guys enjoy plz reply, i will make a few more chapters and we shall go from there...
  2. ARCHIVED-Morrak Guest

Escape

In a dark forest, seemingly void of life, a darkly clad hooded figure crouched near a small campfire on the embankment of a slow moving river. The figure was relatively small in stature, too small to be a man. Several shiny, metallic knife-like objects hung from its waist. Cold, emotionless eyes were all there was to be seen of a veiled face. Their eyes were a color that closely resembled a thick layer of ice. They seemed to take in all of their surroundings at once, without moving at all. When the figure moved, the sound it made was no louder than that of a wolf, or some other predator skilled in the art of stealth. The changes it made to the ground when it moved were imperceptible, everything looked as it had before the figure arrived. A small rabbit that had fallen prey just a few moments before the figure made camp now roasted on a rotating spit over a bed of coals, filling the nights air with the smell of roasted meat. Knowing that the smell of the rabbit would attract attention, the figure knew it had to eat quickly and move on. When the rabbit was finished cooking the figure removed hood and veil. Silky smooth, dark, shoulder length hair and smooth, narrow facial features revealed the mysterious figure to be a woman. She was not just any woman; she served as the personal assassin to the overlord of Freeport, a large port city ruled with an iron fist, bathed in deceit and corruption.

She removed one of the knives from her waist, and with a flick of the wrist severed meat from bone. Anyone, or anything foolish enough to wander into her camp would not live long enough to regret it. After she ate she gathered her equipment, doused the coals and moved down river. Anything that had caught scent of her rabbit would not catch wind of her down river. She found a small sheltered area in the midst of several large boulders. She knew the boulders could pose a danger, but they could also prove to be a valuable defense. She had no choice but to rest, the wound at her side caused much pain. Fueled by adrenaline, she had been running without pause for most of the previous day. She set up camp again, this time with no fire. She made a bed next to a rather large stone, using her pack as a pillow she lay down to rest, she had a long journey ahead of her, and she wanted to be prepared. She lay with one hand gripping a dagger under her pack, more than once she had been the victim of a failed murder attempt while she slept. As she lay beside the stone, preparing for sleep she thought of the previous days accomplishments…

She had just accomplished something no one had ever done before; she had gotten close enough to Queen Antonia Bayle to slip a special poison into one of her drinks, a very strong hemotoxin that only she carried to antidote to. Lucan D`Lere himself, the overlord of Freeport, created the poison; it was designed to be deadly beyond the healing capabilities of the several priests that Antonia kept at her side. Through many months of living under the rule of Antonia the assassin was able to work her way through the ranks of Antonia’s social network, until word of her deeds reached the queens ears themselves. Ironically the queen’s initial purpose in summoning her was to sabotage Lucan’s attempts at influence in her realm. Her mission would have succeeded had the queen’s most loyal subject, Murrar Shar not interfered. Somehow he had known what she planned to do. He would be taken care of in time, for now she had to sleep…

She did not sleep heavily that night; several times she awoke only to vomit many times before slipping back into darkness, she knew if she did not take care of the wound it would consume her, but she lacked the supplies to clean the wound properly, so the makeshift bandage around her waist helped little. The gash across her cheek stopped bleeding and was already beginning to scab over. She could not believe she let herself come that close to her goal only to fail. She vowed never to fail again. She must make it back, the overlord had to know what she knew at all costs. The fate of Freeport depended on it.

When she finally woke in the morning she felt like she had not slept at all, she had no time to hunt for food, they were coming. The Queen’s guard had followed her through most of the night, she managed to stay one step ahead of them, but the break she took to cook the rabbit could prove costly in the time to come. She had no idea how far they would actually pursue her. They knew she was very badly wounded. Her wound was acting faster, trying to shut down her body to begin the healing process. She made her way towards the Thundering Steppes, narrowly avoiding the gnoll lair called Blackburrow. She managed to make it to the main road leading to the Steppes just as a traveler was passing by with a small wagon.

“Hail traveler, wherein lies your destination?” She managed to speak the question faintly.

“Hail weary traveler, are you injured? You look like you have not had a bite to eat in quite a while, do you need a ride?” the man on the wagon asked.

“Where…are…you…go..ing….” She managed before she lost consciousness. The last thing she would remember is the hard stone of the road…

The traveler managed to get her into the back of his wagon, and make it around the final bend in the road between Antonica and the Steppes just as the queens guard rounded the corner where the mysterious woman had been just moments before. While she slept she dreamt once again of the events leading up to her escape from Qeynos…
  3. ARCHIVED-Morrak Guest

Summoned Before The Queen…

“Tell me child, by what name are you known?” Queen Antonia inquired in a stoic tone.

“I am known by many names to many people, you though, my queen, may call me Jheira” the woman replied as calmly as possible, I am no child fool. This was her one and only chance to infiltrate the ranks of the queen’s castle.

“Very well, Jheira, what brings you to Qeynos? And why have I not heard of your deeds before? It would seem there are many…” the queen again inquired

“I was only recently pulled from the raging waters of the ocean, the rending destroyed what was my home, and many of my people did not survive. I completed the tasks assigned to me on the isle of refugee and made my way here. It was only months ago I was able to gain citizenship.” Jheira lied the best she could while trying not to give herself away.

“Ah, a refugee, there are so many constantly being found, you should consider yourself lucky, most do not survive.” The queen stated flatly, it seemed as though she was testing Jheira, trying to catch her in a lie. The complete lack of emotion she showed made a few of her subjects flinch.

“I consider myself to be extremely fortunate, if I may ask… my queen, why have I been called before her majesty?” Jheira knew she could not take much more of this, she had never faced an opponent like Antonia before, Lucan was wise in sending her, any of his other assassins would be hanging by their necks right now…

“Straight to the point I see… Very well, I have summoned you here because I have need of an able, capable subject. Your deeds have spoken for themselves, you have been here less than 6 months and you have already crippled Lucans hold on Antonica, small though it may be. For now you need only know that soon you will be called upon to undertake a mission of great importance. Go now and rest, a room will be provided, as well as a change of clothes…” Queen Antonia’s eyes told Jheira that she still did not fully trust her.

“Very well my majesty, I look forward to your summons…” Jheira could not help but smile as she bowed; her mission was almost complete. She wondered what Antonia planned, but for now all she could do was wait; wait for her time to strike…

In the room provided to her Jheira found a very much-needed change of clothes; the clothes she had been wearing since she arrived were not suited to street beggar let alone someone of her importance. After she changed she began to plan for the task at hand, a task given to her by Lucan D`Lere himself, the overlord of Freeport; a large port city ruled by an iron fist and bathed in corruption. Freeport and Qeynos were the only two known cities to mostly survive the catastrophe known as the rending.

Days came and passed, Jheira talked to few inside the palace aside from the servants sent to check on her every now and then. She spent most of her time in studies or meditation. An assassins mind was equally as important as their body, and she could not afford to have a weak mind if she was to complete the task at hand. Many months passed without word from Queen other than the occasional invite to dinner. It was on one of these nights at dinner that Jheira seized her place by the queen’s side. Jheira had managed to foil an assassination attempt at the queen’s life, completely severing the arm of the would-be assassin from their body in the process. She did not care that someone wanted to kill the Queen, but she would not let someone take credit for that kill, not after all of the work she had done to get this close. That night the queen summoned her to her private study.

“Jheira, you have shown time and time again that your loyalty to me and to Qeynos is unflinching. The task I am going to ask of you will not be an easy one, and I will not force you to accept. But should you accept, and succeed, you will be given permanent lordship in Qeynos, and all of its citizens will know of your deeds.” The Queen said with an uncertain look in her eyes. Uncertain of what? Jheira could only guess, did Antonia not think she was capable? Surely she must trust her after the events at dinner.

“My Queen! You need only ask, and I will obey. I am your humble servant, you rescued me from the waters of the ocean, and for this I am forever in your debt. But I feel there is more you are not telling me; your eyes show uncertainty. Do you not think me capable?” Jheira dared to ask; she had to know what the Queen planned…

“Jheira, few are bold enough to pose such a question…If you feel you see uncertainty in my eyes it is because what I am about to ask of you will be very dangerous, and the impacts of your actions, regardless of whether you succeed or fail will have a tremendous impact on not only Qeynos, but all of Norrath…” The queens words took Jheira by surprise, what could she possibly expect her to do that would alter the fate of Norrath?

“ But my majesty, what could I possibly do that would alter the fate of all of Norrath?” a still surprised Jheira managed to ask.

“I will ask two things of you Jheira, first and foremost, there have been numerous reports of strange behavior throughout Antonica, the people accused are said the be spies. I want you to find these people and bring them to justice, Lucans hold in my realm, small though it may be, poses a serious threat to the safety of the citizens of Qeynos. Do what needs to be done, though I do not take kindly the idea of punishment before prosecution, it Is a threat that must be immediately smothered.”

“Secondly, Jheira, I want you to gain a foothold in Freeport, infiltrate the ranks of Lucans men, and gather as much information on the cities defenses as possible, I fear war may be coming, and Qeynos must be prepared. The lich Lucan must have a weakness; even a lich can be extinguished. The most genius minds of Qeynos are working on a project, a project that will change the tide of battle, a force field of sorts…I cannot go into detail, but you saved my life tonight, so you have the right to know what you are getting into. So I need to know, will you accept the task set before you? Will you be the hero Qeynos has needed for so long?” Queen Antonia asked, a look of hope replacing her uncertainty.

A force field? The overlord must know of this, but I have no time to gather more information! If I do not accept her task than I am of no use to her and she will dispose of me Jheira thought to herself. “Your majesty, I accept your offer, I shall be the hero you seek….”
  4. ARCHIVED-Morrak Guest

5. ARCHIVED-Morrak Guest

6. ARCHIVED-Morrak Guest