In Hindsight

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Satyr, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Satyr Well-Known Member

Stormhold

As it was pre-KoS

Toxxulia (Hardcore Rules)

As it is KoS (with some changes to raids to remove the silliness).

- FFA PVP enabled for Exiles
    - Players attacking Exiles become carnage flagged for 20 minutes
    - Players in faction can turn on carnage flag and are unable to remove it for 2 hours
    - Players attacking an open world raid mob are automatically carnage flagged

The bads and the cancer, all on our own servers, and all having a great time. Hindsight is 20/20.
  2. Sprok Active Member

Why not just use an EQ1 Priest of Discord flagging type system?
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  3. Satyr Well-Known Member

That would work, as long as people could be PVP'd for pulling contesteds.
  4. Bosque Member

just go exile and you can fight anybody you wish.. too easy. the problem really isn't the rules on pvp engagement.. players that will not engage unless they have an advantage is the real issue..
  5. Meneltel Well-Known Member

If you pick the time and place of the battle, it is already half won for you...
    Kittybock likes this.
  6. Rubick Well-Known Member

From my time on Nagafen I would assume that's because as soon as you try to fight without an advantage and die it becomes a festival of mouthy children that log over from the other faction to call you a scrub because they just killed you. If people just PvP'd to enjoy it and the server wasn't a cesspool of nonstop trash talking it probably wouldn't have died in the first place. I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain that played a huge part in why some people were such title hugging weiners.
  7. Rotherian Well-Known Member

There is a substantive difference between idle trash talking and the incessant, toxic, and not to mention borderline childish, taunting that has become the norm in recent years. One is expected, and to some degree, welcomed. The other is unnecessary, and while there were likely enough factors leading to the decrease in population that it is next to impossible to point at a single one and claim that it is the sole reason for the decline, neither can it be completely discounted as one of the contributing factors.

For example, someone saying 'L2P Noob' or 'You really should consider learning your class before you try to venture out solo', or something else to that effect is expected, and might serve as an impetus to get someone to improve their skills. Claiming that one has engaged in copulation with the maternal parent of one's opponent(s), or something along that line, is not necessary and has no positive outcome for either party beyond ephemeral joy for the party making that claim.

I have a thick enough skin that neither of them would bother me, since (1) I don't mind being told that there are areas where I can improve, (2) after 21 years in the military, the level of verbal or written abuse that a person playing this game could bring to bear without getting banned would pale in comparison to that which I already have experienced in life, and (3) my mum is in her 60s and hasn't aged gracefully, so someone would need to be pretty desperate to hit that*. :eek: :D However, I can understand how others might find that kind of behavior distasteful**, and might decide to go elsewhere rather than continue to submit themselves to it repeatedly.

In short, just because something might not bother you, and might not be a factor that would affect your decision to remain or leave, it doesn't logically follow that the same would apply to the population as a whole.

Well, no. That isn't even close to true. The only determining factor about whether someone belongs on a PvP server - in any game - is whether they prefer killing enemies that are controlled by other players or by the game software. It's kinda in the name (i.e. Player versus Player). ;)

* So the claim essentially would be that the person making the claim has extremely low standards for carnal relationships - which says less about my mum and more about the person making the claim.
    ** The verbal/written abuse, not having relations with my mum***.
    *** Although anyone attempting the latter would probably find it distasteful, as well. :p
  8. Bosque Member

just embrace the trash talk lol.. its just a pixel having his moment lol... look in 4 years on my troub in nagafen I died 150 times.. ya that's it.. all in game will tell how they rekt me daily though lol.. its all trash and if you know the difference its all that matters. And the trash talk actually makes killing them even sweeter. When I played a predator it was hard to get on that char and kill others simply because it was too easy and had zero reason to do it.. what motivated me to get thousands and thousands more was the trash talkers.. its part of every mmo.. most of them are just kids, and tbh id take the pvp trash talk over the pve middle aged guy with no life's pve raid bicker in a heart beat...
    Sejreia likes this.
  9. Rubick Well-Known Member

I'm all for good trash talk but, as Rotherian stated, what happens on that server isn't just trash talk for fun. Nagafen's community was so childish that it wasn't worth putting up with for a lot of people.
  10. Meneltel Well-Known Member

If a person gets too pottymouthed, just /ignore... being semi-thinned skinned, I had a full ignore list in WoW *grins* but most of them were actually jerks in PuGs rather than PvP. The few who logged onto an Alliance toon to /tell me how I must have cheated because I won the fight quickly get /ignore. Those that swore revenge but laughed that I won, got /tell back. Made more than one friend that way, being a good sport. If lost, (and often did), I never logged on a Horde toon to complain. All part of the game, or supposed to be. I let the immature people do the trash talking. Beware the quiet ones... they let their skill talk for them.
  11. Rubick Well-Known Member

My skin is plenty thick, but ignoring half the server would just be boring.
  12. Bosque Member

haha.. they took charm out of pvp way back on naggy.. hey I seen bunch from deathtoll on skyfire last night as I was messing with my channeler and Beastlord .. seems pretty happening atm.. what game or server did solaris rage quit too? they off dt now.
  13. Meneltel Well-Known Member

/ignoring them didn't stop them from still trying to kill me in PvP...and just meant I didn't have to deal with their rude rears in LFG anymore. Any time I have less jerks to deal with, the happy I am.
  14. Satyr Well-Known Member

Rift. Hardly a rage, game was just broken. Still hanging around hoping for a merge.
  15. Bosque Member

only thing really broken atm in pvp is ranged attack.. pve stuff is too buffed for our population.. but pvp is pretty squared away atm. Healers are top and the good were in vanilla nothing new there.. and I knew those guys would quit weeks ago.. they always do...
  16. Bosque Member

im always gonna wonder if things may have gone differently and the first vote passed.. the devs went dormant at that time and everybody quit... at that point the down whirl spiral began.. and it does not look like it is going to stop...
  17. Satyr Well-Known Member

We aren't Darkhand.

We lost a few key players because of the state of the server. Our options were to continue raiding broken content for broken loot with less than an x 4, log on every few days to kill contested, or have the occasional PVP night and log on to fight the same 3 or 4 people. Or we could do something more fun. We chose the latter. We aren't going to engage in an orgy of self-flagellation for a company that has shown utter contempt for their customers just because we love what the game used to be.

That being said, we'd come back to Stormhold if there was a merge because we're suckers.
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  18. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

Although, IDK...it would be pretty fun if you could be carnage flagged while pulling contesteds on Stormhold too. That would put the Contest back into Contesteds. :)

For that matter, if you steal my harvest node...FLAGGED! (ok, not really, but sometimes..grrr)
  19. Bosque Member

well think bout this.. for the first 60 levels... Swash, Dirge, Warlock and even Wizzies were absolutely useless in pvp.. Ya Brigand was a effing joke, but even if it were not.. you could not have paid me to play any of them classes.. then border line bad chars like brawlers finally became decent at 70...but the nerf to brigands came too late and mitigation was never fixed. Now ya got rangers and troubs that have no business pvping because of ranged dmg does nothing in pvp... that's a lot of classes.. a lot of players that could not have been happy with this game.. now lets just just say this game was more balanced.. the content was horrid in dof and it took forever to get out of the xpac and many would have left regardless... throw in DBG inability to get rid of so many exploiters and boom.. you got a dead server.. today I logged on .. 28 were on Qeynos side and 40 were on Freeport side.. Im guessing some of them were botted chars..... I would not even be posting on these forums, but this game had sooo much potential to be great... its really too bad.. and I am not gonna even mention the horrible salty community we have on this server as most of these players have a legit reason to be mad as heck...
  20. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

sometimes I really, really miss that option....