Illusionist or Conjuror?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Vinny, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Vinny Member

Hiya folks,

I'm looking to level one these up solo, which would have an easier time all the way to max level?

Thanks!
  2. Pixistik Don't like it? You're not alone!

I like the flexibility of the Conj myself.
    Try out a heroic one of each on test, it doesn't cost you anything and will give you an idea of what might suit you best.
  3. Vinny Member

Thank you, I appreciate the response.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

You're asking the wrong question, Vinny. My question is, what do you want to do? Yes, these are mage classes, but they have completely different roles. Conjy is dps; illusionist is very much a group/raid support class that can also dps, but they are not Tier 1. They both can be soloed and if that's all you're ever going to do, then I'd suggest conjy for pet options, etc. But if you go with an illy and you plan on grouping, then you better be clear on what others will expect from your toon.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

Pet classes are always easier to solo, because your pet is helping you. Biut now that there are mercenaries, everyone can have a merc healer, tank, etc. on hand.

Illusionists have spells for feeding power to other players as well as crowd control such as mesmerizing, rooting, or stifling mobs. They're very welcome in most groups and raids. (I have an illy but I don't play her much... I tend to play my conjy).

Conjurors are DPS. They have a little utility: they can do a boost called Fireseed that conveys some fervor, they have Call of the Hero, which lets you teleport another member of your group or raid to you, and the pet spell Sacrifice can be used to feed a little power or health to your group. However, conjurors aren't DPS like warlocks or wizards, who do much more damage.
  6. Alarra Well-Known Member

Accidentally posted in the Wizard or Warlock thread....:oops:
    I'm a coercer, with the exception of 1 raid fight (Trakanon), I haven't used mez since ToV.
    I can stun/daze "some" trash, but never any named, they are all "immune". Crowd control is basically gone from the game.
    The main problem with mez is that if someone has a dot on the mob or your autoattack is set to ranged it will break the mez immediately. Then there is the names being immunne to every status effect.

I hear power feeding will be a thing this expac, but I have yet to start heroic content so can't comment at the moment on the effectiveness of having a chanter in group.

In the end for playing in end game, you will be 1 of 2 things:
    Illy: A mana-battery, that is expected to do more dps than the healer.
    Conjy: A dps class that is expected to dps

Personally I am thinking of going Coercer Main, Some dps class secondary this expac.
    Not sure which dps class to choose as of yet as it is early days in the expac.
    Pixistik and Dude like this.
  7. WhysperWynde Well-Known Member

I like the Conjuror myself, it's always good to have a pet and with the merc and familiar you can make quite a testy little bunch to conquer most situations.
  8. Stormwarn New Member

My raid main is my coercer, has been for the last 2 expacs. I do a lot of power feed.. was a bit scary there for a bit when they gave the warden the ability to fill mana thankfully they fixed that.. My suggestion is play what you like.. and what you want.. I gave up my Fury, my first love and raider.. when the guild needed a mana feed.. I keep her raid ready just incase..
    Pixistik likes this.