I want a playable

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-redlance68, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-FRParker Guest

I've been wanting to see the Centars get there day they may not be able to ride a mount (with out it looking a little more adult than the game would allow) but they could use saddle and carry a friend. It also woud give a player race that steps out of the bi-pedial mode.
    While on the subject of races whats up with half-elves why do they always seem to be half human half wood elf, also what happens if two diffrent types of elf have a child together. How about other half races I would think it would have to happen on occation (half-dwarf, half-gnome, ect...). Then I would like to hear what happend to the Draken that was introduced in serpants spine (kinda thought they were a lame atempt of a new race seeing as they were humans with tatoos that were almost never seen being covered by armor).
    My other choices would have to be
    Spirocs, Brownies, Sayters, maybe one of the giant races
  2. ARCHIVED-StrafaeSwiftleaf Guest

3. ARCHIVED-Spuff Guest

Gnoll. Gnolls! We need Gnolls! I've been waiting since pre-Kunark EQ1 to have Gnolls as a playable race =D The closest I've come was the short lived "Project M" in EQ1 where you could take over a random in-game NPC. It'd be nice to personally rush at the Qeynos guards, Fippy style. ;)
  4. ARCHIVED-Mr. Dawkins Guest

I'm prety sure ive spent more time as a Splitpaw Gnoll than my true race. Which will remain a secret unless you zone faster than me, or I absolutly must use my horse.
    [IMG]
    Only race smart enough to make a sleave for their tails!
    And they BARK! Like the angry "ima gona eat jo" bark, not like the antonica gnolls which sound like they had their voice box removed.
    They have every battle animation of the player races except:
    crouch: it just isnt there even the runspeed slow takes no effect, however this also means that you dont have to be annoyed with the camera dropping 3 inches every time you invis ( a scout godsend )
    Quick casting oustrached arms over the head (assassin offencive stance), you just stand there
    2h wielding, you sit with the 2h wepon in your offhand and swing/claw at the target with your main hand.
    Tank stances IE bringing your sword over your head and sticking the ground with it.
    And for some reason when any bow based proc goes off it looks like you just got slapped and you yelp, no clue why
    Long casts such as calling home animations are replaced with you leaning way back and forawrd with a bark noise
    short casts are replaced with a form of "haduken" or "kamea meha" motion
    I do love my splitpaw shard :p
  5. ARCHIVED-foozlesprite Guest

FRParker wrote:
    Wood elves are the only elves that don't have the stick so far up their butt that they won't breed with humans. They're more open to new ideas. Most half-elf models can be made to look more high-elven rather than wood-elven or emo. You can even make their skin darker if you want to be closer to dark elf, but it's not as aesthetically pleasing so most go with a lighter tone.
  6. ARCHIVED-Aenashi Guest

how about some new CLASSES.

Screw the races.. i only play ratongas :p
  7. ARCHIVED-foozlesprite Guest

New classes are probably never going to happen (and I don't really want it to either, we already have 24 of them...). It would mess up the current archetype system of 4 Archetypes-->12 Classes-->24 Subclasses. I can't really think of a new archetype to add, and if you added one class you would have to add 8 total classes to keep everything even.

Add a priest. You get the scouts, fighters, and mages screaming "Why don't WE have a new option?" People will demand a new scout, fighter, and mage, and then an anti-class for each of them (IE Templar/Inquisitor pair). So that's 8 new classes just to keep things balanced. Even if they did that, they'd have to revamp every piece of armor in the game, add class-specific Hoo'loh hat quests, Epic Weapons lines, Relic Armor, EoF Set armor, RoK set armor, and other armor/weapons.

The only other option I see is to create a new archetype but that would require 6 new classes, which isn't much better than the 8. Also, I can't really think of much that isn't already in the game as far as archetypes.

Lots of people want new classes, sure. Even I think it might be a nice refreshing change. But it's truthfully probably never going to happen.

(And to all of you wanting a beastlord: make a warden/fury, spec it for melee and animal charm. This works better for wardens than for furies. Voila, beastlord.)
  8. ARCHIVED-Aenashi Guest

Daine@Everfrost wrote:
    the Archtype system is not relevant any more. Since you pick your last class right away. I could care less if it messes up the "4 archtype.. blah" i dont care. They can add more classes. they added a whole other race without adding it to the other side. They may not want to because of the balancing issues for PVP. Do it anyways.
  9. ARCHIVED-Pyra Shineflame Guest

Not only for PvP but also for PvE balancing as well, not to mention the quests and such that fooz mentioned.
    And just because YOU don't care, doesn't mean it should happen. We are allowed to pick end classes, but the engine was built on archetypes, that will never go away unless they rehaul it.
    Which is a lot of work, time and money so that probably won't happen any time soon.
  10. ARCHIVED-foozlesprite Guest

The archetype system remains very relevant to EQ2 today. It's an easy way to classify loot without visual/coding clutter, and it helps keep people wanting an alt educated about what classes are closest to their own, thus which to avoid when starting up an alt.

The thing is it doesn't matter if we players think the archetypes are not important. If SOE views them as important (which they seem to), then we'll probably never get new classes.

What kind of new class do you want anyways? You can roleplay almost any type of character now and the mechanics of classes and AAs allow for a huge variety of playstyles. New players are scared of the huge variety of classes already in here. What class/playstyle/roleplaying opportunity do you think is missing?
  11. ARCHIVED-Gnobrin Guest

Yeah, there's no known plan to revamp the game's class system. That, and there's been mention from developers/producers in the past that only when ALL 24 classes we already have are balanced, would there be even consideration for a new one.
    And with that, to bring the topic back on track. *cough*
    If I had my dream race, I'd vote for an elemental race. Brell had/has SO MANY races stored away, it's fully within lore for an elemental type to sneak out that had the ability of sentient thought. But then, to have a character where you started out a basic elemental and then grew through levelling, but couldn't wear normal armors isn't really feasable with the game's current design.
    Having an ogre-sized elemental with a 'uge rock fist, it's body rent with cracks of glowing magma at 80th level? Oh, yeah... I'd be SO there.

~Gnobrin!
  12. ARCHIVED-Lardicoz Guest

Gnobrin wrote:
    that description totally reminds me of the Mage pets in EQOA
    [IMG][IMG]
  13. ARCHIVED-foozlesprite Guest

It would be cool to see 4 new races introduced, based on the 4 traditional elements. You could have the race Gnobrin was mentioning for Earth, some sort of sylph for Air, djinn/efreeti for Fire, and a siren for Water (or whatever else the devs came up with, they're smarter than me). Probably never happen but it's rumored the next expansion might be Odus, and Odus WAS a haven for elemental and magical research. Who knows? :)
  14. ARCHIVED-BWLeeEllison Guest

Minotaur, centaur, aviak, all good choices.
  15. ARCHIVED-Wildmage Guest

Im all for a fire elemental genasi style race that are the chosen of SOlusek Ro or related dieties.
    Prexus could return in the Odus expansion with his own water scions.
    Brell's stonechildren
    umm Karana's gasgoblins?

I also think the next race needs to be medium sized, of the 4(3 models) races added since launch 1 model the arasai/fay is on the small size, frogloks are small mediums(at large wakka wakka), and and Sarnak are bleeping huge.
  16. ARCHIVED-Dreadpatch Guest

First of all, the steamroller hybrid was hilarious, I gotta good chuckle out of that. How about crabpeople from SP, or better yet a duck race, you could use Howard the Duck as a model. Best thread ever...
  17. ARCHIVED-Megera Guest

centaur.
    disadvatage: never get a horse.
    advantage: who needs a horse? just buy the whistle and call it 'horseshoes of zippity'

disadvantage: large size
    advantage: could have a huge encumberance allowance and more storage slots! :D

Disadvantage: can never wear regular armor. maybe centaurs could wear upper body bits but would need two sets of pants for their legs slot. no lore panties for you!
    advantage: could wear a saddle and carry buddies!

Otterguys
    they're just cute. and otters are the same family as weasels, badgers and wolverines. so they are cute and kick butt.

GnollsNot orcs. orcs have been done to death. And Gnolls could with a little tweaking go foxy, or wolfy, or doggy, depending on options chosen.

Werewolves or vampires!

(I just like em. i know they probalby wouldn't be a good option.

Ethinc looking humans
    I really miss the looks of the Erudite. Right now we have the dolly syndrome - just adding more pigment does not make the dolly look ethnic. There are oriental models in game. but we can't choose those faces, either. Soga doens't cut it, they all look caucasian, too. Actually, *good looking* faces for any of the prettier races would be nice. The much hated soga models are not hated by me but they are a little bland. Still, better bland than nasty lumpy, gritty looking playdoh.

what i do NOT want to see:
    the velious dwarves. (its just a dwarf, man.)
    Orcs (yawn. go play wow or vanguard.)
    mice (just make a very dinky ratonga and say its a roekill)
    another elf. (blah.)
    Spirocs or Aviak - they'd have to fly and thats not going to be allowed. without flight, what would be the point of even making this race? would they be kicked out of their homes as cripples? what?

Bottom line: don't give us what we already have. (Recolors of an existing race like a blue baberian. a different type of kerra. another dwarf or elf.) Dont' give us something that would have ot be crippled significantly to play. (aviak.) Don't give us another stupid race that has low appeal. (froglok) and don't give us something the devs wouldn't play. if there's no 'wow, i'd like to play that' with the people making it, dubba tee eff are you making it for?
  18. ARCHIVED-Mirander_1 Guest

Megera wrote:
    Regarding Centaurs:

For leg armor, you could let them equip armor normally, and simply have it look like horse barding

However, the rather unavoidable problem with centaurs is that there's really no way to have them handle the climbable surfaces in the game. Horses are not the most nimble of beasts. However, I do think a centaur-shaped creature would work, if it was a different animal (I'm personally pulling for a lion-centaur, like the DnD Wemic)

As for Aviaks, you could use much the same argument for fairies, but the Fae and the Arasai worked out all right.

And as for the Elemental idea being tossed around, how 'bout taking it one step further ? New race(s): Planars. One new race from every major plane in the EQ cosmology. Not just elementals, but then Satyrs from PoGrowth, Amagladins (sp?) from PoFear, Djinn from PoSky, and so on and so forth. Granted, it would essentially double the number of races in the game, which is a tad excessive, but it's fun to dream
  19. ARCHIVED-SecrAtive Girl Guest

i want to be a GOBLIN!!
  20. ARCHIVED-Megera Guest

naw, centaur or nothing for me. i dont' like the idea that you can get a lionbody centaroid but not a horse centauroid. let em rappel up. hell, let them have to have a friend at the top to focus on. whatever. i know that there are 100 impracticalities with centaurs. I've played them in tabletop games for years and yeah, i didn't fit in a lot of places.

As for the arasi and all - they were not in game before. none of the other fairy critters look a bit like them. But to play an aviak race, they'd have to be one that did not *look* like the others to be wingclipped. maybe an ostrich or other flightless guy. A chickenman. they fly but not very well. some other bird that only flies to escape maybe. pheasant, quail, ...

... as for the elemental - just choose the face for the skin you want. instead of male/female you get physical/elemental instead of hair option you get glow, spark, wispy smoke.... its doable. but it would take a hell of a lot of artwork.