I think Sony should stop stealing monsters from D&D

Discussion in 'Expansions and Adventure Packs' started by ARCHIVED-Guy De Alsace, May 3, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

We play a fantasy game this is the genre of it. You deal with the fantasy basis of it. DnD also stole largely from norse and greek mythology. The fantasy genre has been developed for some time and literally everything in this game can be traced back to something else.
    Trolls from german mythology, dwarves, halfings(hobbits), elves etc.
    Its silly in a fantasy game to ask developers not to borrow from traditional fantasy genre. If you did you wouldnt have much of a fantasy game.
  2. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

Having played white box D&D with chits instead of dice (yeah I'm old :p ) I don't know where the guy is getting that the ropers look exactly the same... they definitely do not.
    And I like the beholders in the game, I think they did a great job on them. The OP should be glad they didn't copy them 1 to 1 from D&D... because they would kick our butts every time we ran into one.
    D&D beholders and mindflayers are SCAAAAAARY!
  3. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

MoiraesFate wrote:
    Accually I was thinking more of Star Wars, even with how "Differant" the Aliens where in that Movie, really they wheren't. They where for the most part Human animal hybrides, most where bipedal with two arms. Really even the most unquie of them where very similar either to what we see around us, or are hybrids of the same.
  4. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

SOE did made a tribution to Gary Gygax, see the Dice of Gygax? the 20-sider dice pet. i named that pet as "Greyhawk".
    did you see stormhold watcher, that wraith remind me of Fiend Folo book.
    EQ2 got few original mobs, shadowmens and void stalkers.
    thulian fearknights > Chulthu
    SOE wont touch WotC's game card creatures from MtG. newly created "Eldrazi" from Zendikar expansion.
  5. ARCHIVED-GlitterPaws Guest

Guy De Alsace wrote:
    Soooo, is your forum name original?
    Just askin'
  6. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Re:I think Sony should stop stealing monsters from D&D
    Really?

The vast majority of the monsters in D&D come from fantasy literature.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source...agons#Creatures

How many creatures in D&D are truly unique? I think beholders and... hmm that's it.
  7. ARCHIVED-shaunfletcher Guest

feldon30 wrote:
    I think its only the really specific d&d ones that are a bit odd to use. The ones that are fantasy generic naturally make sense to use and indeed its about interpretation.
    Ropers. Displacer Beasts. Beholders. Gelatinous cubes (which they missed the actual point of). Owlbears. Rust Monsters. Those spring to mind, Im sure there are others.
    Its amusing I guess that some of these are some of the finest mob models in the game. Its also valid to suggest that some are tributes to a much loved game. Except ropers. Only a masochistic player hater could have put THOSE rotten things in ;)
  8. ARCHIVED-Kasar Guest

Guy De Alsace wrote:
    So.. no more fantasy staples, more void mobs and space aliens?
  9. ARCHIVED-Tygarys Guest

I want them to add Grues!
  10. ARCHIVED-Tyrus Dracofire Guest

Tygana? love that book, that is epic novel.
    grues? yeah, that not even original, but good name for goatmen. Grues got more cooler curved horns like rams.
    ac2 had them first on 2nd generation MMO on the scene before any other Post 2002 brought in for thier own online games, first look from Ac2's Gurogs, http://ac2vault.ign.com/beasts/show...ges/image84.jpg
    sadly that game died and made me move to eq2, Ac1 still hadnt revive or add Ac2 creatures into surviving older game, story line stretched too long, currently now on "Gearknight saga".
    anyway, goatmen in different forms, EQ1/eq2 had more feral version than fauns or pans which is more humanized in ancient mythologies, and some religion had turn them more pagan version of devils and demons base on Dante's Inferno or aka Divine Comedy.
    one of Gary Gygax's last project before TSR forced tookover, Bloodstone War, involving Orcus, using Keith Parkinson's artwork with robed mens are the goatmen look similar to Grues.
    so it just matter of time or when we will see SOE's version of goatmen lord, Asmodus the Archduke.
  11. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Just remember Everquest 1 was basically V'halen, Brad, etc's D&D campain made into a 3D game, ofcourse there are going to be alot of things from D&D in it.
  12. ARCHIVED-Wurm Guest

I noticed the mention of the goatmen... Diablo anyone?
    [IMG]
  13. ARCHIVED-vexation Guest

Don't particularly agree with the OP, as other people have pointed out a lot of the creatures from D&D had roots elsewhere.
    That said, I would LOVE to see some more unique models. Tseralith had a great model but is forever stuck in FG (with the exception of those that still kill Byzola I guess)
    Struggling to think of the last time I appreciated what a mob looked like (admittedly I've not seen much end-game content, but a lot of raid mobs seem to re-use other models.. Vernax The Insatiable / Trakanasaurus Rex.. The Scavanator / Bonesnapper.. Vuulan looks just like any other mob from Palace Of The Awakened) - it's a shame because they've got some cracking artists and there's clearly some love being put into the tradeskilling models. WTB new mob/boss models!
  14. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

DND?
    Pshhh everyone knows WoW invented evil eyes and displacer beasts and ropers.
  15. ARCHIVED-katalmach Guest

I completely agree with the OP. There is a huge difference between drawing inspiration from folklore, and drawing inspiration from another game. D&D creatures owe much to mythology, yes, but while dark elves may have been inspired by the dark elves of Norse mythology, they have very little in common with the original.
    D&D creatures may have been based on pre-existing concepts, but they were adapted and changed to fit in with the world of D&D. That's being original and creative. EQ2 on the other hand takes creatures and races from another game and simply plops them into Norrath. That's derivative, cliched and unoriginal.
    Besides, even if you make the argument that "Oh, ropers are from myth so it's okay for EQ2 and D&D to both use them", it's still extremely uncreative and dull of SOE to do so. Do you realize how many creatures/monsters/races we humans have thought up through the ages? Instead of doing the exact same things that D&D have done, why can't SOE make some kasa-obake, backahastar, huldufolk, mylingar, barghests or black annis? (I've never played D&D, so it's entirely possible they've done some of these creatures - but my point is, there's such a wealth of material to draw from, it's silly to just "do what D&D did").
  16. ARCHIVED-shadowscale Guest

we had origional, the entire void thing was origional. people complaned about that to. back in EQ1, we had the muramites, people complaned about them, that was origional.

is this a winable argument?
  17. ARCHIVED-ke'la Guest

Zannah@Splitpaw wrote:
    1st because EQ2 is a HIGH FANTACY game first and formost, just like D&D and D&D just so happened to more or less create versions of nearly all High Fantacy creatures.
    2nd would you be ok with ropers if like DEs in EQ2 thier history is VERY differant and they are VERY differant then the D&D DEs? If so then guess what they do, because we accually have no real history of them, so you can make up any history you want.
    3rd like other posters have said they HAVE done original stuff, Heck over 70% of the last two expainsions have been completly new, and what was the reaction? oh yeah, THAT doesn't belong in EQ2.
    4th if they did make the models a whole lot differant then discribed in D&D then people would say that is not an <whatever>.
    5th last I checked other then a discription and maybe 1 or 2 offical pictures, there is not much to "copy" in terms of making a model, so it still takes imagination to take a written discription and turn it into a 3d model.
  18. ARCHIVED-Skywarrior Guest

shadowscale wrote:
    No. But then, not all discussion is necessarily "winnable". Opinions, not expressed, change nothing and never add to the wisdom or knowledge of others. If nothing else, I got a great deal of enjoyment from reading that blog about D&D monsters. It's healthy, I think, to laugh at our own foibles and interests. Helps keep one grounded.
  19. ARCHIVED-celestina936 Guest

The infamous series of Star Trek developed by the late Gene Roddenberry was based on Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels.
    Great ideas come from other great ideas.
  20. ARCHIVED-Cusashorn Guest

Wurm wrote:
    Satyrs from Greek Mythology...