I"m finding that I'm being attacked more and more instead of my pet. Why?

Discussion in 'Conjuror' started by ARCHIVED-duhfur, Apr 24, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-duhfur Guest

Level 72 conjuror. I"m finding that I'm being attacked more and more instead of my pet. Why?
    I always stand back as far as I can and send my pet first, how come they will stop attacking my pet and come after me?
  2. ARCHIVED-Snickerdo Guest

Make sure your solo aa spec has the pet taunt. Not in game now, so I can't tell you what line it is. But it is on summoner page. Use the pet taunt right right away and use it again as it refreshes if you need it.
  3. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

You're likely pulling aggro over your pet. Aggro is going to be a problem with the Earth pet.
    You might try switching to a Mage pet spec, and putting the Mage pet in defensive stance. Against your every-day non heroic mobs, the Mage pet has the firepower to blow mobs to smithereens and not take a big beating.
  4. ARCHIVED-mykei Guest

watch your hate meter, the pet needs to get agro then you can start the nuking. your not a wizzard so if you go slow the pet will keep agro but if you try to burn him down you may get it sooner. when i solo for quests i get agro at the tail end of the fight often, but without much problem. always pet pull.
  5. ARCHIVED-Banditman Guest

Mage pet with defensive stance is very hard to pull aggro off.
  6. ARCHIVED-Lantis Guest

Banditman wrote:
    Depends on the level and amount of AAs tho. Some of the big mage pet nukes require 170+ AAs. A few others are at 200+.
  7. ARCHIVED-duhfur Guest

Up to level 86 now and problem is back. Mage pet did not help. I have my AA spec like guide says. As soon as percentors command wears off it's on me. If i get get 2 things attacking me forget it, my earth pet won't always attack it. I even put 5 pnts in summoner's soothing to see if that would help and it didnt.

My guild mates have necros and dont have this problem and they use earth pets. I"m so frustrated right now I could quit the game.
  8. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Did you spec for the Mage pet, or did you spec for the Earth pet and use the Mage pet? The Earth pet tree (STA tree) does very little for the Mage pet.
    How many AA do you have? If you don't mind, could you post your spec using Beetny?
    If you're light on pet focused gear, which would have Molten Carnage, Power Flux, etc., your pet's aggro is going to be very light. Unfortunately access to gear with these effects is limited until you hit 90 and start hitting instances, or you start hitting Battlegrounds.
    Unfortunately the best advice I can offer you is you're going to have to go moderate damage output to give your tank pet a chance to hold aggro, or else accept that you're going to pull aggro and change your tactics. A good number of the really good tank Pet aggro tools (Elemental Toxicity, Elemental Blast, Blazing Conjuration, Fury of the Elements, Strength of the Elements, Pet Weapon Mastery) don't come until you have a very large number of AAs. Also Elemental Mastery, your epic buff for completing Epic Repercussions, makes a large difference too, and it's likely you might not have it yet.
    Remember to use Blazing Avatar every time it pops up, use Perceptor's Command whenever your pet loses aggro, and use Shockwave at the start of the fight, or when fighting multiples. And go light on the damage to give your pet a chance at holding aggro.
    Or change to a full blown DPS spec using the Mage pet, and learn how to kite using Winds of Velious. Against multiples with the Mage pet, make sure the pet is in Defensive stance, precast Blazing Avatar, and have the pet inflict the first blow.
  9. ARCHIVED-Riggly Guest

Change targets with your pet so its hitting all targets involved and picking up all adds.
  10. ARCHIVED-duhfur Guest

I think that was my problem I had the STA and WIS line spec, using tank pet was pulling the aggro. I was using the perceptor but it didnt help if I had more than 1 attacker.
    I have 129 AA points. Haven't used 3 saving for pet weapon mastery.
    My gear is just MC stuff since I"m tailor. Jewelry is in 70s. I figured it was ok because guildmates always said INT and power is all that matters. I'll start looking for other gear as soon as I can.

I rescp the summoner line to put more in mage, it helps some but not alot.

Couple questions, I haven't used shockwave since level 10 since it always pull it everything else and then I die. So if I don't use it why would I put 10 AA in it?
    Arcane Minion, since pet doesn't die too often why put lots of AA in it?

What is defensive stance and offensive stance mean? Is that same as protect me or yourself? Which one equals what?
    Thanks! Can't wait to get this thing to 90 so I can start new toon. I think my play style lead to DPS because I'm so impatient.

http://www.beetny.com/eq2aa/?501c1@...@11@1343@21@311
  11. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Conjurors are significantly more complex, gear wise, than your every day sorcerer or enchanter. We need to focus on the pet as much as we need to focus on ourselves, and Mastercrafted armor/jewelry severely lacks in the pet focus department. I would go as far to say, after you hit level 72, ignore Mastercrafted armor for the rest of the game.
    If that is the spec you're soloing in, no wonder you are having problems. I recommend a complete change. Try this tank pet setup instead. Or try this Mage Pet setup.
    Be sure to get an AA mirror. I talk about how to get an AA mirror in my AA guide, which is stickied (you did read it, right?). That way you can switch between a pure tank pet build, and a pure mage pet build, and not a hybrid build like you have. Make getting an AA mirror a top priority. Even if you have to solo Sebilis for a week just to get a reflective smoldering shard, it's worth it.
    Shockwave is a blue AoE, so it can potentially pull stuff that you don't want. However it is also a VERY valuable tool for the pet getting aggro.
    I can't believe you don't know what the Offense and Defense stances are. Did you not read spell descriptions? In any case, "Defensive Haven" is your pet's Defensive stance, and "Antagonize" is your pet's Offensive stance.
    Did you read what Arcane Minion does? It's only for the Mage pet, not the tank pet. It also GREATLY boost's the Mage pet's DPS.
    I recommend for aggro purposes, whichever pet you use, use Defensive Haven as it will greatly increase the pet's aggro generated (especially when dealing with multi-mob encounters).
  12. ARCHIVED-duhfur Guest

I had my tank AA setup very similar to that today except i dont like shockwave and no luck so i'll try mage. Bummer because I just paid to get expert tank.
    Yes, read guide many times. No one in my guild can make a AA mirror so I haven't pursued it even though I do want it because I group about 2 times a week. Interesting that when I group, 3 other memebers are necros and they always use tank pet. I didnt think you could solo seb?
    Def and Off: I read spell descriptions again and dont understand how that equates to those descriptions, sorry I'm a black and white kind of person, I never understood those spells why i could always only turn one on. Think I got it now.
    Arcane minion, yeah when I read it, it makes me think it means to cast the actual pet not the pet casting spells. got it now. thanks.
    I'll try what you suggested. thanks!
  13. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

duhfur wrote:
    Shockwave is one of the most powerful abilities your tank pet can use. I recommend learning to like it if you want to use the Tank pet.
    duhfur wrote:
    I recommend asking around in your server's level chat, there is guaranteed to be someone on your server that can craft an AA mirror. Again I can't stress it enough, it must be your top priority to get an AA mirror.
    Sebilis trash is easily soloable in your 80s. Many of the trash mobs near the entrance aren't even heroic.
  14. ARCHIVED-duhfur Guest

thanks for all your help, i'm up to 155 AA - wondering why your thought is on summoner's soothing?

I would think decreasing hate gain is the best thing but I put a couple points in there and it seemed to actually get worse.
  15. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Duhfur, are you utilizing the hate meter?
    10% dehate for yourself helps, but it's not a magic bullet that will cause you to suddenly stop pulling aggro off your pet.
  16. ARCHIVED-duhfur Guest

yes I do, when I see it get high I try to make sure to use the shockwave and preceptor's commands, just sometimes it doesn't work. I was curious if you recommend soothing?
  17. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

I personally use it.
    A trick you can do when you start to get high on the hate meter: cast a swarm pet, wait a couple seconds for the pet to generate aggro, and then cast Bewilderment. If done right, you will drop below your swarm pets on the hate list (that is to say, near the bottom).
  18. ARCHIVED-Yure Guest

Make sure you have a expert / master version of Defensive Haven VI (80) or VII (90)This pet buff will give your pet about 40 to 46% hate gain, couple that with the AA builds that boost the PET's DPS that Xalmat has previous posted you shouldn't have much issue.
    lastly make sure to have your pet pull the mob. if you pull the mob the pet has to build up a amount of hate that exceeds your by a certain amount before it will target the pet.
  19. ARCHIVED-Xalmat Guest

Duhfur, any improvement on your end?
  20. ARCHIVED-Im-poster Guest

To the OP. Earlier in the thread you mentioned you had hit Lvl 86 and your problem was back. Have you upgraded T9 pet spells to at least Ad3 (Expert) Have you done Fabled Weapon Quest and gotten Enervated weapon and Buff? Judging by the AA's relative to lvl it sounds like you're PL'ing a little. AA's are key for some of the Buffs Xalmat talks about. And BTW when Xalmat talks smart summoners listen