I love my Warlock but...

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-md13476, Jan 16, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-md13476 Guest

OK, here goes...

I am a level 60 Warlock and love the fellow, and I did not create a Warlock because it had uber DPS, heck, I didn't even know what DPS was at the time. I made him because he was different, I wanted a caster but I didn't want to make a Wizard because everyone else had one. Now that I have played alot of the game content, I have a few complaints, alot of which are addressed in this forum already, I just feel like sayin them myself.

In a group, a Warlock can and does function well as a DPS machine. I do get out DPS'd by Necro's, Conjurers, and Wizard's on single target mobs, but our AE's make up for that in the long run when fighting groups. I do believe that our casting times are too long and our single target nukes are underpowered. Some of you will flame on me because I said I get out DPS'd but if you use your de-buffs properly, and TRY to control aggro, you will always get out DPS'd. If we could just nukem without considering aggro, we would probably out DPS all others. I use the debuffs because they do help a little, and when raiding epic mobs, every 10hp I can save the tank helps. If I have to spend all that time casting my curse debufs, I think they ought to be a little more effective though.

One thing that dissapoints me is our lack of decent party or raid buffs. Also, I feel a little useless EXCEPT for the DPS aspect in groups and raids. Conjurers get Call Of Hero and can summon all kinds of shards, Clerics can teleport you home, Monks can feign death, several classes, including Wizards get evac. Gee, I can teleport a hostile mob 10 feet and run like heck before I take 1 or 2 hits from the Epic and die. I would be happy with evac but something please!

Another issue is this...Our strength is our AE's. As has been discussed, that is great except a tank can only hold 1 mob no matter how good his taunts are. If you time your AE's right, you can avoid aggro but are not fully effective. A typical exapmle is, tank pulls a group of 4 mobs...I cast a few debuffs which allows tank to keep aggro. If the mob isn't already dead, I cast an AE...If I immediately cast another, the remaining mobs look at me funny as they pummel me until I see "You have died". Even after the 1st mob is dead and the tank is pummeling the 2nd, there are still 2 more who WILL come after me if I go all out. It is frustrating at times not to use my full potential.

Overall, I like the Warlock but I don't think a single (living) Warlock is being used at it's maximum potential. I think our only decent spells are our damage spells, the rest are way underpowered or useless. Please let me know if I'm wrong. Maybe someone has a better playstyle and has figured something out that I havn't. I also have a Conjurer who at level 29, was soloing level 25 ^^^ heroics as where my Warlock is lucky to win a fight with a solo yellow mob. Regardless of what changes Sony makes, I will continue to play my toon, and take the bad with the good.
  2. ARCHIVED-D-lirium Guest

You can knock SOE's door all you want, but nobody's home.
    I'm praying KoS will improve our class but I don't have my hopes up, in the meantime I'll just do what we excel at: making money. =)
  3. ARCHIVED-Tomanak Guest

I agree with everything but this. Mind you, Im not level 60 yet and that may be a factor, but at 53 I can easily solo yellow mobs as well as yellow groups. If the roots hold I can even do yellow heroic groups (^^ at the most). We do need a lot of work, but SOE seems to be content to leaving us as is..
    P.S They need to fix Dark Infestation....