I just flew in from Qeynos.. and boy..

Discussion in 'Look and Feel' started by ARCHIVED-Jaremai, May 3, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Jaremai Guest

I'm sure this has come up before, and I'm sure the answer has been "can't do it without changing _____ and we lack the resources to do it." Well, now that you have interns doing stuff for you, maybe you could set one of them to this task.
    I'd love to be able to sit in a chair.
    Carpenters make all sorts of comfy looking items. I get comfy items from faction merchants. I can sit ON them, if I can align myself properly, but it looks pretty stupid.
    Heck, if we could actually interact with furniture like that, people might use our guild hall for more than a tradeskill/travel hub. We might actually sit and chat for a bit. Have a brew.
    Anyway.. that's one of my pipedreams after 6 years. Other games have tackled the furniture-interaction thing, would be nice to see Sony catch up. :)
  2. ARCHIVED-TheSpin Guest

I remember this being addressed and because of the size differences in eq2 it was decided not to be reasonable to write programing for characters to interact with objects.

My personal solution would be to add some emotes such as /chairsit or /sleep and make them emotes independent of surroundings. Let the players figure out a way to make it look natural.
  3. ARCHIVED-Eveningsong Guest

I agree :). Vanguard said the same thing, can't be done, then one day it just appeared... it wasn't remotely perfect (in fact, my little druid looked terrible sitting on most things, but that didn't matter), but players had something to work with. I'm sure the VG folks had been planning to eventually add it, so it may still be a lot harder for EQ2, but I don't think anyone actually cares if it looks good, it still has to be better than crouching precariously atop of a chair...
    Also while we're at it -- every race can be a monk and therefore there is already an FD animation for all races. Why can't we have a /sleep or /playdead emote that just uses the FD animation without the other effects?
  4. ARCHIVED-foxspirit Guest

I agree... you have interns now, put them to work doing this little stuff - little being relatvie to say, making a whole new zone.
    And while youre at it have them give fae and arasai and sarnak actual sitting animations... this kneeling nonsense is old.
  5. ARCHIVED-quiarrah Guest

Again. . . /AMEN to that (along with sleeping in beds)
    Why is it so difficult for Sony to do these two simple things when all the other games out there have no problem with it? (and don't give us this hooey about the size of the chairs). . . we can resize them now so if our Troll or Ogre friends come over. . .just make the chair bigger and they can sit. The Rats. . .well. . . .we may just have to have them sit on the floor. . .but for the most part. . it should make no difference whatsoever!
    Unless you guys have taken lessons from Captain Jack Sparrow. . .this isn't Pirates of the Carribean. . You don't have to keep to the CODE. . .it's more like . . .Guidelines anyway!
  6. ARCHIVED-LordPazuzu Guest

foxspirit wrote:
    Making a new zone would probably be a smaller task than rewriting the game engine to allow for this.
  7. ARCHIVED-foxspirit Guest

I think youre exaggerating it a bit... other games have plunked in sit emotes in the "middle" of the game so to speak. Vanguard did it, STO is going to do it... it doesnt have to be click-to-sit like wow, which is superior, but it would be nice to have. They could do it like the clunk lotro system where you stand just right in front of a chair, and if youre lucky, when you type /sit, you will end up on the chair and not over it. ;p
    At most they would have to add a sitting animation... which admittedly would be a ton of work, but thats what interns are for.
    The sleep emote would be easier to do I believe, since the animations are already in the game, they just need to link it to a slash command and some other mechanics Im not familiar with.
  8. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

it's actually not as easy code wise as you would think.
    /emote01 would start at idle, play one long emote and go back to idle, so /sitchair would have you start at standing, play the sit emote and go back to idle. You wouldn't stay seated.
    There are possible ways to do it that involve idle - sitenter- sitdle- sitexit - idle, where site idle will play the sitting ,sleeping, whatever, until you move and exit the state. But when you multiply the implementation to all the different races/skeletal types, it's no longer a trivial amount of work especially when what I am working on now is a zillion times more worth the time in my opinion.
  9. ARCHIVED-Rocc Guest

Keep working on your cooler stuff bro. We can live without /sitidle until untile the next Evercrack comes out. I know your working on a new playable race thats melee based, with a pet and starts with a B. So you just keep on rollin brotha :)
  10. ARCHIVED-Xuphor Guest

ttobey wrote:
    forgive me if this is a stupid question, but i'm sure you're familiar with the Feign Death skill.
    is it possible to basically duplicate that exact skill, make a new animation for sitting to replace the Feign Death animation (because we all know the FD animation is identicle between all races), and make it a lvl 1 skill for all classes, so everyone gets it?
    it's still a bit of work, but i think it'd be easier thhan waht you said. again though, i'm not a programmer, i could be way way off.
  11. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

I'm not working on Nunchuck wielding Panda Beestlords that have T-Rex mounts. Though that would be pretty awesome :)
  12. ARCHIVED-Rocc Guest

Yes it would! Especially if you had an avatar of one!
  13. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

Child@Unrest wrote:
    I'm not a programmer either , so give me some info. When you feign death, you "die" and are in a death idle/state. What happens when you leave it? Do you just pop back to idle? I'm assuming it's playing "death" which goes from idle to dead, and dead which is you being dead on the ground. Or it could be playing knocktoback, knocktobackidle and knocktobackexit.... Either way, I hate to say that usually those three animations have been tweaked per skeleton to actually work in game. Most of this stuff is pretty old animation data that I'm still trying to figure out.
  14. ARCHIVED-Zabjade Guest

I wonder if realistic LOOKING knee joints (basically a double hinge) on the models would help?
  15. ARCHIVED-foxspirit Guest

In otherwords this game is just too old to teach it new tricks?

*pats EQ2* "There there, you just sit on this comfy rug by the fire and Ill get you a milkbone."
  16. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

No not at all. I'm just asking for information so I can maybe solve a problem that will allow people to sit in a chair. There are several ways that I can see doing it when I get the time.
  17. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

ttobey wrote:
    FD plays the death animation and when it is cancelled it plays the rez animation. Throw a zombie or skeleton illusion and you can actually see the animation of them growing out of the ground.
  18. ARCHIVED-Rocc Guest

How about copying the entire code from each skeleton when they /sit. To each you just add the animation at the knees and elevate the sit stance to match the height of the "new floor" which is the chair? Make sitting pop any illusion the character has on to simlify. Just an idea from a nobody...
  19. ARCHIVED-ttobey Guest

Rocc@Unrest wrote:
    What I'm hoping will do it is this...
    Do a sit idle on human skel, zero out the base and the root, so they are now sitting on 0,0,0.
    Hopefully this will translate to everyone except frogs and iksar.
    Now if you line up over a chair, your butt will hit the collision mesh and will basically sit there. It may take some lining up on your part. I'm not worried about frogs and iksar as they are all being killed by an animation virus in the next expansion.
  20. ARCHIVED-Cepheus80 Guest

Why would it have do be an /emote at all? In "other" games, you right click an item and the action (sit, lay down, etc) just happens. Animations have been associated with clickable items and spells in the past, so why would it be so hard to code them the same way? The animation should be associated with particular items coded the same way universally, ie beds, chairs, and desks. Requiring players to perfectly align themselves over an object, then click an emote just sounds like a complicated way of doing a simple task. Obviously it's is, otherwise this would've been in the game a long time ago..but the way you explain it makes it sound like an overcomplicated way of going about a few simple animations.