I Finally Did It...FPS>100

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Puckbone, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Puckbone Member

After 9 years I finally retired my old Dell Dimension computer. Playing EQ2 with that the last few years was like playing a slide show with fps mostly <10.

I decided to put together a DIY one and Holy Smokes, Batman! What a difference.

I was going to use onboard graphics that is included in my CPU (I7 4770K) until I saw a deal for a dedicated GPU, but then saw that Nvidia GTX750 ti were going fo <$150 so I snagged one.

My rig:
    Asus Z87 Pro mobo
    I7 4770K CPU
    GTX750 ti GPU
    G-Skill RipJaws 16GB
    Corsair 750W PSU
    Enermax Case
    Windows 8.1

My settings are auto set to Very High Quality (one step from the highest) with everything turned up to the max. I tried the highest (Extreme) and showed just a tiny bit of slowdown with fps ~30ish. With settings at VHQ my fps rarely dips below 50ish and I've seen it over 100 many times. I don't raid, so I have no input for that, but in NQ, QH, Guild Hall and every other zone so far I am quite pleased. Only once did I experience lag (which is separate from fps, I know) and that was when I was d/l in the background heavy files (I Always run in Windowed Mode).

I know this is more of a tech topic, but since this isn't problem related, and I have seen many posts on fps quality and lag in this General Gameplay Discussion folder, (and I am soo happy) I needed to tell you guys. heh
  2. Alarra Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are one happy guy. 750W power supply will eat into the power bill and give your room a toasty feel me thinks, but the spec is nice and looks like it would require the power supply.
  3. Deago Well-Known Member

Pfft post back when its over 9000!!!!! :p

j/k Awesome! Grats!
  4. The_Cheeseman Well-Known Member

100 FPS is quite an accomplishment, but really won't be noticeable, so pump up those graphics to get a bit more beauty at around 60 FPS, much more efficient use of your powerful hardware!
  5. Estal Well-Known Member

That is not how a power supply works.

The Watt rating is the maximum power the psu can supply to the PC, if the PC asks for less than the max the psu will also deliver less. For example if you have a 1000W psu which at 20% load is 90% efficient and the PC currently needs 200W then that 100W psu will draw ~220W from the wall and not 1000W.
  6. Avianna Well-Known Member

yes, most monitors refresh at a rate of 60fps so anything more than that is a waste. Even if your graphics card is giving you 99,999fps your monitor is still only giving you 60. So set your graphics to be around 65fps in most areas and you'll be a happy hunter.
    The_Cheeseman likes this.
  7. Cuson New Member

go buy 144hz montior
  8. 240bravo New Member

What resolution are you playing at?
  9. d1anaw Well-Known Member

Hubby built both of ours. He's dying to upgrade mine again. What I really want is his huge monitor.
  10. Puckbone Member

1920 x 1080 resolution with a ~23in LG LED widescreen.
    Good point about the 60 fps refresh rate of most screens. I work weekends so am just getting back on. I will pump up the setting to the extreme mode and take it for a drive...8o)
  11. Moha New Member

Congratulations on solving your "quest" ! :)

And thanks for sharing your new PC's specs with us, 50-100 fps at 1080p is impressive :)