I feel for rangers

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-TanRaistlyn, May 16, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Beldin_ Guest

Yeah ... there were also rumors from fury hit 3000 dps before KoS .. and if you search enough you maybe find rumours about Templars do 10.000 dps ;)
    Btw.: today i hit at least 9.550 dps solo .. not as good as a templar .. but however a try ;)
    Message Edited by Beldin_ on 05-18-2006 09:04 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-TanRaistlyn Guest

Really try not parsing individuals and try parsing the entire raid. Put a ranger in there then a Brigand, and what the difference.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lysanthir Ahmquissar Guest

I'll ditto that comment and I know Gwyneth and I have discussed it before in the worldranger channel. I'm not a raider or grouper because I like self sufficiency and challenging myself to achieve targets. I'm also a guild crafter so I tend to hunt in relatively short periods and don't want to be a burden on people as our guild is generally very casual. Being part of a group or a cog in a wheel isn't my idea of fun and really is fairly irrelevant to my view of a ranger or any fiction/lore I've ever read about them. Its one reason I never whined about DPS nerfs on this board as I love my ranger and her soloability/combat style. To me just being that cog that helps my group in a raid kill a named is like saying I'm not really a ranger I'm a DPS figure.
    Its a simple fact that this LU WILL massively hit the soloing ranger and that SoE seem to be trying to ignore that in their rush to try to prove to raiders that the game really does have lots of raid content.
    Ultimately I'll be honest and pray that most raiders run to Vanguard and its "20% solo content" to reclaim the eq1 lifestyle they seem to lament so much. Maybe then we can reclaim the game that was so solo friendly a while back.
  4. ARCHIVED-TofuPatty Guest

Eh, as I said nerfs come and nerfs go. There are classes now that can do broken dps compared to what they 'should' be doing. I'm in a raiding guild, not bleeding edge server first, but we do decently. Unless there are a *lot* of classes who's name shall not be mentioned in the raid, I'll still always be on the top 5 or 6 parse list.

Some classes are overpowered, some AA lines are overpowered, but that won't last and will change in the end. Back in T6 I was at the top of the parse list almost all of the time. Burned through vials of adeste's like they were candy too. I know some bleeding edge guilds who would use their arsenal of rangers in alt/recuit guilds to run 3 or 4 or 5 rangers in raids back when we could do dps that was frankly broken. Nowadays they can use other classes who can do flavor of the month out of line dps. If that's the way you want to go, more power to you, but the nerfs will hit, flavor of the month classes will quit or swap classes yet again, but ranger dps isn't bad and is pretty much in line with what we should be doing now.

I've been playing a ranger since release, with all of the ups and downs, back when arrow tier effected ranged art dps in the beginning of the game, up to lu13 when rangers were not that hot dps, through the golden age of rangers being gods of dps from lu13-21, then back to **** and then some after the proc nerf, and the return of good dps after the un-gimping and focus aim going from one of the most useless skills to arguably the most important skill rangers have.

Do rangers still have some issues out there? Yeah, they do and most classes do as well. Can some classes bring utilities and dps that is out of line and makes us look comparitivley bad at the moment? Yeah, but we were broken dps wise for a while ourselves, and things are changing yet again with the incoming LU. Can we still do pretty [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] good dps if you play your class well and now what your doing? Yeah, we can.
  5. ARCHIVED-BlackAdderDrop Guest

"If a rogue with a bow can out DPS you ranged then its good you retired your ranger. And if Dissolution is basing their needs on that performance then I understand their not recruiting rangers."

That was uncalled for. I play for fun and my Ranger is no longer fun for me, I too had an alt I was working on and retired my Ranger to *enjoy* playing my alt. Axkiva was simply *the* Ranger on Nektulos. To say there was something wrong in her playstyle is said purely out of ignorance. You should withdraw your comments, she is(was) one of the top rangers out there. To read her being on hiatus was quite saddening to me.

-Alaulai
    60 Ranger of Nektuos

-Acelia
    57 Wizard of Nektulos

Message Edited by BlackAdderDrop on 05-19-2006 04:46 AM
  6. ARCHIVED-Demlar Guest

I have to echo what Lexani said. I was one of those Ranger apps for Disso. When I'd put up dps on the raid parse in the area of 800-1100 I'd be now where near the top of the parse. Yes, I am still missing a few master spells and ad3's but my gear isn't that bad. Seeing brig's parse higher than me on the raids was where I really started to wonder what was going on. I knew assassins, wizards, conjuror's and necro's would but watching brigands and zerker's do it was a bit disheartening. I don't believe I'm bad at playing my class and think I can hold my own against other rangers, but yes there is a major issue with Ranger DPS at the high end when you look at our damage vs the entire raid, over the course of the whole raid.
  7. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

AHHH NOW I know where your getting at. In theroy, bring 5 brigs to the raid - have 3-4 dps instead of 5-6. And watch everyone do 2k dps because there are bunch of brigs there. Hes not talking about our dps, hes talking about what we bring to the raid.. LARGE diffrence..

Well, let me put it to ya this way, without rouges we cant boost our dps. Without t1 dps you have subpar dps. You can only have so many dps in there before it becomes a wasted spot, and you can only have so many healers/tanks etc.. It is all about raid ballance.

To say that brigands have more to offer a raid is an unfair assessment of how you can get your raid to the top of its game.

In terms most people understand. 3 dps 1 brig = 5 dps - .... 3 brig 1 dps = 3 dps. - While that individual will be doing 1.5k dps on average, its going to be lower overall dps.. Its all about ballance.
  8. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

I don't feel for rangers. At all. Those of us that play other scouts (myself a swashy as an alt) have been frustrated for a long time seeing our ranger cousins out-dps us by miles and miles and miles. Get used to being nerfed. Get used to not finding groups. We did.
  9. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

Amen, sister! Gotta wonder about the rangers in that guild....sheesh.
    Sure, it takes more resources (i.e., shiny coin) to beef up your ranger's DPS output, but it's far from impossible. For a ranger, level-appropriate gear and weps are indespenable, not to mention fashionable.
    Flid
    Message Edited by Flidias on 05-19-2006 08:28 AM
  10. ARCHIVED-Sirlutt Guest

Get bent.

With that being said, I still havent had anyone tell me what a Ranger brings to the table that cant be done by any other class better ?
  11. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

Hmm.. thats funny... I have a Swashy alt... He rocks. I have NO trouble getting group & NO trouble soloing. Maybe it's your attitude...
  12. ARCHIVED-Gareorn Guest

Attitude? But his post was soooo non-confrontational.:smileytongue:
  13. ARCHIVED-TanRaistlyn Guest

No your taking that to the extreme, not what Im saying. There are about 5-6 classes that can easily equal a rangers DPS on raids, and each one brings more versatility and substance to the raid. This isnt an argument Im trying to start, I was simply supporting the effort of many raiding rangers out there looking for some love.
    Take it this way, if a high end raiding guild had 1 of each class in the raid, with good grp setups, and they parsed the raid they will get a lesser number then if they had 24 people all different classes except they doubled up a brigand and got rid of the ranger...itll parse higher as a raid, I promise. Personally I think rangers atm are worse off then any other of the "dps" classes in what they offer the raid in terms of versatility and utility. I HOPE they add something to the class is all Im saying, take it as offense if you want but its not meant to be.
  14. ARCHIVED-Jay42 Guest

Hah, swash jealousy?? Now I've seen it all. (Newsflash: predators *should* outdamage rogues.)
    TofuPatty wrote:
    Do rangers still have some issues out there? Yeah, they do and most classes do as well. Can some classes bring utilities and dps that is out of line and makes us look comparitivley bad at the moment? Yeah, but we were broken dps wise for a while ourselves, and things are changing yet again with the incoming LU. Can we still do pretty [expletive haxx0red by Raijinn] good dps if you play your class well and now what your doing? Yeah, we can.
    [/QUOTE]
    Ding ding ding! TofuPatty wins the cookie :D
    That's not to say we're perfect; we're not. We do have problems, and this thread highlights one of them - like Dem said, a zerker or a brig regularly parsing higher than a well-equipped, well-played ranger is not exactly a sign of balanced classes. You can get offended by the OP's statements if you choose to, but frankly I can't really disagree - with the exception of the Miracle Shot line, there isn't much that we bring to a raid besides decent DPS and good looks. (Except for wood-elves.)
    But does the fact that your class isn't perfect or the all-star in raids mean we suck? Hell no. We all have to decide our priorities as individual players; for some people, the raid issues may be a game-breaker and they'll need to play another class. For many of us, it's an issue that we can cope with - but that doesn't mean it isn't there.
  15. ARCHIVED-leafnin Guest

Ding ding ding! TofuPatty wins the cookie :D
    That's not to say we're perfect; we're not. We do have problems, and this thread highlights one of them - like Dem said, a zerker or a brig regularly parsing higher than a well-equipped, well-played ranger is not exactly a sign of balanced classes. You can get offended by the OP's statements if you choose to, but frankly I can't really disagree - with the exception of the Miracle Shot line, there isn't much that we bring to a raid besides decent DPS and good looks. (Except for wood-elves.)
    But does the fact that your class isn't perfect or the all-star in raids mean we suck? Hell no. We all have to decide our priorities as individual players; for some people, the raid issues may be a game-breaker and they'll need to play another class. For many of us, it's an issue that we can cope with - but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

[/QUOTE]
    I got a longer 'engauged' conga line I can drag around zone while screaming like a stuck pig I'm happy!!! :D
    Edit -- Wait Other DPS classes can do that too. :( Double wait.... They're needed more then me so if I die it doesn't hurt as much ..I can pull!! oh wait Monks get FD!... :( ummmmm... out of ideas how that's raid useful. It's still FUN though :D
    Falcon
    Kithicor
    Ranger

Message Edited by leafnin on 05-19-2006 10:51 AM
  16. ARCHIVED-Teksun Guest

I'm extremly useful on raids:

"Hey Tek... pull that Mob"
    OK
    /revive
  17. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

Hmm... that was a bit unnecessary I think. But anyway... perhaps... perhaps it's the difference in servers. Ever stop to think about that? Probably not. Swashbucklers and rangers abound on AB. Perhaps moreso than the server you're on.

Anyway.... point being.... all this whining by rangers.... hey, ALL of us have been nerfed. I don't see that rangers have it so bad. You could be like casters, and wear next to nothing. At least you've got chain armor to provide some mitigation should you get pounced on. I feel for sorcerers who are getting roots nerfed. They get pounced on, they're done. IMO, all things considered, rangers have it good. I've never been able to reconcile how a guy with a sword and a bow can do more damage than someone calling down bolts of lightning or fireballs anyway. *shrug* And for that matter, never really been able to reconcile why one class should inherantly do more damage than another, using the same basic equipment -- ie, two shortswords and a long bow. I can see SOME variance, but not the drastic difference that rangers had over most other melee classes in the past. *shrug* Anyone who reads is, of course, more than welcome to disagree. It takes all kinds to make this world go round.
    Message Edited by Hamervelder on 05-19-2006 04:03 PM
  18. ARCHIVED-Fennir Guest

No, this was:

In addition to your statement regarding our relative DPS to swashbucklers.

Compare swashbuckler buffs and debuffs to ours and you'll know very quickly why you're supposed to be doing less damage than us.

Anyways if you're having trouble seeing attitude and stupidity in your post... well that's probably one of the contributing reasons why you made it in the first place.
  19. ARCHIVED-Jowita Guest

Boy oh boy, Fennir, when you're right (which is 97.62% of the time), you're spot-on. Style, wit, and an ascerbic tongue! Not to mention good looks and a fat bank account. :smileytongue:
    Heh, it must be Friday, because I'm starting to confound myself. Or maybe it's just bad coffee...
    Flid
  20. ARCHIVED-Hamervelder Guest

You know, there are a hundred ways I could respond to this post, including latent insults, as you did. I'll choose to re-state my point, in a way that you might perhaps better grasp, as I obviously did not do so the first time. My mistake.
    Firstly, you are reading 'attitude and stupidity' into my post that is not present. I'd wager it's because you disagree with my sentiment. That's your perogative. But I find your insinuation quite offensive. This reminds me why I stay off of boards. The first disagreement, and name-calling and watnot begins. *shrug*
    Secondly, I understand that swashbucklers are intended to do less dps than rangers. That's acceptable. However, go back and read the boards before LU13, when other classes were nerfed to hell. Read some of the snide comments where folks who play rangers were poking all sorts of fun at folks who play other classes, saying things like "Want dps? Should have rolled a ranger". Well, now that rangers have gotten (and are getting more) some of their own 'nerfs', it seems there's some complaining going on. That's how games work. Things get tweaked and change. Get used to it. Complaining en masse won't change anything for the better now, will it? It never ends. Every time something is changed, you have folk coming along saying things like "My class was nerfed to hell! I can't even play the game!" Granted, sometimes changes are way too much. I still stand by the opinion that some of the changes way back in LU13 were severely overdone. However, it does not (or should not) take one long to notice that, in the exception of a very few cases, the developers seem to follow their vision for the game's development, despite what might be a huge outcry on the boards. If this previous statement were not at least on the right track, a lot of changes would not have been made that have been made. I think we all remember the outrcy over, forgive me for using the example again, Live Update 13. Oh, the outcry over that one... But all of that complaining did what? Unfortunately, it did not seem to do much at all.
    Lastly, even I will concede that the developers have made some decisions that just don't seem to make a lot of sense, when it comes to rangers specifically. I think we all remember when they took kiting from rangers. I'm sure that someone somewhere gave some explanation for that decision, but it just doesn't make sense to me. The bow is the ranger's primary tool. We can see all through history that the bow can (and has been) used on foot and on horseback with amazing results. Following that train of thought, it would make sense to me that ranged combat arts should be useable while moving, which they currently are not. However, the mass complaining by ranger-players everywhere didn't affect that change then, and mass complaining won't change things now, despite the fact that we all like things changed when we voice our opinions. The best we can all do is read the proposed changes, offer feedback where appropriate, and then adjust our playstyles when the changes are made.
    Message Edited by Hamervelder on 05-19-2006 04:31 PM