1. ARCHIVED-simianthief Guest

I was reading up on the pets that Beastlords can tame and I see people have Hyena listed under canines alongside wolves. Is this an official in-game classification or a fan-site classification?

Hyenas are feliforms (related to large/medium cats), even if their behavior is indicative of canines. One of those "convergent" evolution things. If it's an in-game classification you may consider updating them. If it's fan-site, then that's...well whatever.
  2. ARCHIVED-clairebear Guest

I don't believe they're trying to be scientific with their categorisations, they're just trying to balance out numbers I'd say with vaguer generalisations. If you moved hyene to feline, you would only have wolves in canine whilst having three species in feline. Same for other species (e.g. croc in aquatic rather than reptile).
  3. ARCHIVED-Tatsou Guest

I've always gone by that "your in our world now" addage from eq1. not sure though but I think they are just called carnivorous hounds. going off memory atm but dont think there are any true hyena name mobs. correct me if I am wrong though.
  4. ARCHIVED-simianthief Guest

See I never remember that Tatsou. And not being able to log in I can't really check it. You're most likely right, it was just an odd oversight I noticed.
  5. ARCHIVED-Tatsou Guest

np, i noticed on eqwire they were called hyenas but when tried looking up bestiary all i could find was carnivorous hounds.
    its mostly that "if it looks like a "place name here", it must be a "place name here". I always will get a good chuckle out of some of the mobs Ive seen and names given them though.
  6. ARCHIVED-Kitsune75 Guest

carnivorous hounds
    As opposed to vegan hounds?
    --Kit
  7. ARCHIVED-simianthief Guest

Don't knock the vegan hounds man, they will tear your Tofurkey up. And they can track a truffle like a pig.