How will DBG define "New Content" for the TLE Servers

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Kraetec, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Kraetec Active Member

Now that the TLE servers are established and have a decent player base, I'm curious how DBG is going to define "New Content" for these servers. Given that we're looking at somewhere between 2-6 months between each expansion released, it could be YEARS before the TLE servers are "caught up" with where the Live servers are right now -- so, I'm wondering if we are going to be paying DBG for any development at all, or just for the privilege of playing old content.

Now, before you have a knee-jerk reaction and think that I'm asking for "Live content" for the TLE -- I'm not. What I'm wondering is whether or not DBG is going to dedicate some of their development time to creating new content for expansions that have yet to be opened on TLE. In other words, perhaps we might get an adventure pack set in Kingdom of Sky, or perhaps some neat loot/gear with Quality of Life improvements that are appropriate for a game with level 60 as the "max level", etc..etc... I know that there are "purists" out there that will dislike anything added that wasn't in originally; however, given that the current TLE is no where near how it was at launch, I do not think that new content, such as I suggested, would negate or diminish the "nostalgia effect".

Anyway, I ask these things because I feel that since TLE players are paying a monthly fee, we should be seeing more features/content than just having a "time locked experience". I also think it would give us something to look forward to.
  2. Antisocial Member

All new content will be regurgitated and brought to you by the Marketplace at exorbitant rates, in crates.
  3. Siren Well-Known Member

There's always got to be some killjoy whining away, no matter how the vast majority vote on the TLs. :p

New content is for the live servers.
    Claudiana and Raff like this.
  4. Kraetec Active Member

I disagree with this assertion and do not think there is anything in the TLE FAQ that would indicate that new content is not a possibility. In fact, I would say that having new content (appropriate for the current level cap/expansion of the TLE) would enhance the "nostalgia effect", as looking forward to something new and different was part of the experience back then.

Again, please read my posting carefully, I'm asking about new content that's created specifically for the TLE servers that would be level and expansion appropriate. Obviously, the content could be released on Live as well (since it shouldn't affect anything there), but it would be designed for TLE.

My question has nothing to do with the vote -- I was planning to post this question today regardless. The motivation for my question comes from the fact that I think our significant financial contribution should provide more than just maintenance and the time required to create the "TLE System". (I know that it did require time/resources to make the TLE possible; however, I think that the subscription fees in a month or two will most likely cover those costs, especially since it did not require additional artwork, voice acting, or original content [quest text] writing, etc.)
  5. Mermut Well-Known Member

This is only the case if most of the subs playing TLE are new, and while many are 'new' subs, many are people who shifted (full or part time) from live. Additionally people using Kronos moved from lives servers to TLE haven't added any 'new' money to the barrel since those kronos were already paid.
  6. Kraetec Active Member

This is true. I should point out that I'm not expecting some sort of massive content addition for TLE or anything of that nature. The examples I gave, although designed with the limitations of the TLE servers, would certainly benefit the Live servers as well. For example, let's say DBG wanted to give us something cool for Kingdom of Sky. They could design the whole thing so that it would fit within the KoS (and earlier) lore - and, although it might use some of the cool mechanics designed over the past 10 years, it wouldn't require or even hint at future content or experience. The content could scale by level all the way to 110 so that everyone could enjoy it.

And, that's just one example. I could also see some small Quality of Life improvements that might make the TLE much more enjoyable and might be interesting for Live Server players as well. For example, I would like to see the return of the "60s travel bell path from major cities to Nek/TS" that we had shortly after launch. This would also be nice for those on Live that are leveling and might not want to be in a guild with a guildhall.

Finally, going back to your statement. While I do think you make a good point that a lot of folks just shifted from Live to TLE, and used Kronos from those accounts, I do think that there was a significant number of people that returned to EQ2 after having not played from as early as 2005-2008ish. Even in my own experience, the majority of people that I've met (in guild and in groups) were returning from not having played for many, many years.
  7. Mitten Active Member

Surely at least Frostfell can be reworked for TLE. I find the current stance on the holiday events as pure laziness on DBG's part.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

When asked specifically about Frostfell and TLE, the response was NO Live events... so no holiday events... no NotD, no Frostfell, nada :(
  9. Kraetec Active Member

lol ...ironically, I'm happy about the lack of holiday events. I always found them jarring and completely out-of-place for Norrath. I always felt they should have their own holidays and traditions that had nothing to do with those on Earth. The fact that Norrath had the same basic holidays with different names, but at the exact same times of year, etc...was always irritating to me. THAT showed laziness, in my opinion.

But yea, *new* content -- that's what I'm curious about. We're looking at years of play on the TLE server at the current rate of voting and general sentiment.
    Rhodris likes this.
  10. lonestryder New Member

It's a wonderful thing!
  11. Dull4h4n Member

New content would be cool, but I'd be far more interested in seeing them tweak the current and upcoming content and items and then give the classes a balance pass. Currently random drops are on par with x2+ gear, content is way too easy, and half the population is playing the same handful of classes (particularly on the PvP servers).

Fix those things and then think about new stuff.
    Siren likes this.
  12. Schemer Member

New content? They can't even give us old one. For example bloodline chronicle. Yes, they give us instance, and server first mythical thing. But why they don't give us plague event? It's was cool back then to get apothecary title for healing the server. And i guessing we dont gat spire building and dragons event on KoS unlocking b/c "it's affect live servers", they saying it like a mantra.
  13. Wulfhammer Active Member

I fully expect we will not get any "new stuff" on TLE but get all the adv packs and expacs as they voted in with hopefully the bloated crap cut out and the difficulty upped as they did with "almost" Vanilla.
  14. Feldon Well-Known Member

EQ2 team creates TLE servers to enjoy older content that progresses at a slower pace.
    Players ask for new content and/or the pace to be increased on TLE servers.

Why put all your eggs in one basket? Why not do this cycle?
    • Expansion is released -- play on Live for 2-3 months.
    • Back to TLE
    • Holidays like Bristlebane Day, Brewfest, Tinkerfest, Erollisi Day, NotD, Frostfell, etc. -- play on Live for a week or two.
    • Back to TLE
    • April update is released -- play on Live for a few weeks.
    • Back to TLE
    Siren, Wirewhisker, Mermut and 4 others like this.
  15. Spindle Well-Known Member

Very practical, completely logical and WAAAAAAAYYY too much common sense for the drama babies ))
    Like the plan.
  16. Lucus Well-Known Member

I imagine if the expansions don't unlock for people fast enough they will do as feldon has stated the new content on the TLE will be the next expansion or adventure pack untill enough people are ready for the next expansion. i'm thinking TLE will go on for a long while and stretch out the expansions as a slower alternative to normal servers.
    Siren likes this.
  17. Raff Well-Known Member

TLE is simply a replay of older content unlocked one expansion at a time by community vote.

New content....there is none.

Though once a TLE server maxes on content in another 10 yrs or so...who can say?
    Siren likes this.
  18. Arielle Nightshade Well-Known Member

At the risk of kittens dying somewhere, I've always hated live events.
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  19. Wabit Active Member

I'd rather our money to DB go to re-itemization, tweaking mobs to match the mass increase in stats we've gained. Heck even giving TLE their own server/code that is completely separate from live, so the things that can't be fixed cause it will affect live argument can go away and things/classes get fixed.

Darathar was pickup raided last night, gratz on your prizzy's to those who got it =). Fire and Ice and Deception drakes are listed as x4, but they are easily done with 2 groups. AFK summoners own entire zones. Make the raid zones 100% fabled drop rate, or put it back to an 18 hr lockout for almost everything (not that most of the gear is upgrades over LS gear). Give the Bloodlines raid zone a loot table other than 1 item ever. Fix writ raid gear so all classes can turn the patterns in, and the stats on plate armor.

Heck have the players submit fixes or new loot like they do appearance gear. I do know that the DoF raid gear is getting upgraded, not sure how much has been done yet. But if DoF is done well, I hope they move to KoS and onward right away. I'll somewhat gladly eat t5 and under loot being fubared if the rest is done properly.

Open a test/beta server for the TLE (PvE aspect I'm looking at) betabuff and let us help test the raids/instances/dungeons.

I didn't like most of the holiday events, some people do. I don't care either way if they make it into TLE, but if you add them make sure the scarecrow guy is in, so i can get a decent shield.

Just random ideas off the top of my head...
  20. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

You aren't alone.